Trade: Shirokov for Duco (FLA)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Trade: Shirokov for Duco (FLA)

Post by SKYO »

BOS wrote:
Welcome Cookie!!!! I was hoping you'd make it.
no doubt, CFP should be - KeslerFP should say hi to all in the CC Bar & Grill spot! :)
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I can tell you one thing, the Wolves are gonna be one nasty team to play against!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Thanx Strange. 8-)

Guess we traded an undersized offensive forward for an undersized scrapper. :lol: I know the chances of this happening are very low, but it'd really suck if Shirokov turns into the next Grabner.

Strangelove wrote:So we DID get something back for Russia-bound Shirokov!

Good call last week Bersnoozi:
Dunno but don't really think Shirikov got much of a shot at the big club.. Showed a lot of talent 2 years ago in training camp and in exhibitions.. was top scorer for the Moose .Played a couple games for the Nucks and scored a goal., just maybe another Grabner deal .. Would of liked to see him given a shot at Raymonds spot..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

Gotta disagree with those who say that Shirokov had his chances, and that this deal is turning nothing into something. What I saw was a guy who did everything that the organization asked him to do. He kept his mouth shut, worked on his defensive game and certainly seemed to be giving maximum effort in his limited NHL minutes. He still had a long way to go, but here was a 25 year-old winger with decent size, some offensive upside and 2 full years of experience with the Canucks' AHL team. Does that not describe a perfect candidate to at least audition for Raymond's role?

I suppose all of this is moot if Shirokov simply wanted the security of the 3-year deal back home. But I would think that MG could have made a generous enough offer to keep him for 1 more year, and then had a discussion with AV about giving him legitimate playing time.

I dunno, I just think that using two years of development to turn a fringe NHL'er with top-6 upside into a fringe NHL'er with Rick Rypien-upside is closer to turning something into nothing.

*edit*

Interesting that the Panthers seem to think Shiro is only on a 2-year deal in the KHL
http://www.suite101.com/content/vancouv ... de-a379094
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Certainly seem to send a message to the farm team players, you can be the top scorer and work your buns off...it counts for squat. Schroeder and Hodgson who can't replicate the same stats....what chnace do they deserve ?
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rudypoo wrote:Gotta disagree with those who say that Shirokov had his chances, and that this deal is turning nothing into something. What I saw was a guy who did everything that the organization asked him to do. He kept his mouth shut, worked on his defensive game and certainly seemed to be giving maximum effort in his limited NHL minutes. He still had a long way to go, but here was a 25 year-old winger with decent size, some offensive upside and 2 full years of experience with the Canucks' AHL team. Does that not describe a perfect candidate to at least audition for Raymond's role?
You are being very generous. Shirokov is too small for a checking role. The only way he could stick with the big club is scoring or at the very least creating chances. Unfortunately, he failed to make a good impression with his time in Vancouver. As for a perfect candidate to replace Raymond's role, Sturm is signed to do that. Honestly, would you rather have a veteran that could possibly pot 20 goals in the NHL or a rookie could barely score 20 goals in the AHL? It would be interesting to see whether MG could trade for a more phyiscal top 6 this summer.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

BOS wrote:^^^Schroeder and Ebbett both will fit in Lacks hockey bag.
:lol:

Welcome Cookie!!!! I was hoping you'd make it.[/quote]

Thanks, little slow on the uptake as I thought everyone was just on holidays. :crazy:
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Rudypoo wrote:
*edit*

Interesting that the Panthers seem to think Shiro is only on a 2-year deal in the KHL
http://www.suite101.com/content/vancouv ... de-a379094
Sounds more like they're willing to accept the fact he's going to have to play next year there, but the following year they will attempt to work a buyout of the KHL contract to allow him to come back to the Panthers.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Shirokov didn't even give Gillis a real chance to make an offer. He signed his KHL contract on July 1. A day that many teams haven't even begun true negotiations with RFAs other than the qualifying offer....which he received. He could have signed a contract with a KHL team at a later date giving himself time to see if he had a future with the canucks or another NHL teams. He didn't and the only conclusion I can draw from that is that he wants to go back to the KHL OR he wanted the money (or both).
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Well good for Florida. Perhaps we'll actually have another shot at him once they place him on waivers after next years training camp. :roll:
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

Duco is a small * disturber. Fights, cross checks, knees, but with less baggage than Ripen, & two NHL games. As Burkie would say, truculent.

Maybe Shirokov was just a round peg trying to find a square hole in the Canucks- alla B. Morrison. He had plenty of company when failing to pass AV's line up requirements.

Not sure exactly what AV's priorities are. He can be a bit vague about why players go in & out of the line up.
Maxwell Edison
CC Rookie

Post by Maxwell Edison »

Shirokov was unlikely to make it anyway and I thought was going to go the way of Steve Kariya when I saw him - a good player who would be in the league if he had a little bit more size to him - not necessarily height but rather in terms of overall body strength so he wouldn't get pushed off the puck as easily as he was. Granted this was only from the one game he played and when I watched the moose on TV but he didn't do much to really impress me or make me think that he was going to make the NHL.

This will get compared to the Grabner trade but it essentially works out as nothing for nothing.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

A little bothered to see Shirokov go but glad we got "something" for him.

Hopefully we can see a little Duco in preseason. If he can skate, and sometimes shoot into an open net, he is an upgrade over Glass on the fourth line.

Put up your Duco's!!!

OK I had to say it. Got it out. Good now.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

Jovocop wrote:
Rudypoo wrote:Gotta disagree with those who say that Shirokov had his chances, and that this deal is turning nothing into something. What I saw was a guy who did everything that the organization asked him to do. He kept his mouth shut, worked on his defensive game and certainly seemed to be giving maximum effort in his limited NHL minutes. He still had a long way to go, but here was a 25 year-old winger with decent size, some offensive upside and 2 full years of experience with the Canucks' AHL team. Does that not describe a perfect candidate to at least audition for Raymond's role?
You are being very generous. Shirokov is too small for a checking role. The only way he could stick with the big club is scoring or at the very least creating chances. Unfortunately, he failed to make a good impression with his time in Vancouver.
Which is why he was worth a look on the 2nd line. Can't argue that he probably wouldn't fit in too well with Malhotra and Hansen.
As for a perfect candidate to replace Raymond's role, Sturm is signed to do that. Honestly, would you rather have a veteran that could possibly pot 20 goals in the NHL or a rookie could barely score 20 goals in the AHL? It would be interesting to see whether MG could trade for a more phyiscal top 6 this summer.
Based on age, cap hit and potential ability to fill Raymond's role for a couple months if I had to choose just one it would be Shirokov.

Sturm has two bum knees and was on a 12-goal pace last season, but had 22 the season prior.

Shirokov is completely unproven and his defensive game is a work in progress, but he is skilled and scored 44 goals in 152 AHL games.

Both have legitimate NHL size, but neither is overly big or physical.

The risk/reward is exactly the same as far as I can see with regard to offensive production. If MG could have found a way to keep Shirokov for one more year (even with a decent raise and/or one-way contract) he was the younger, cheaper option.

Yeesh, we obviously have had a slow off-season. I am way too interested in such a minor trade :)
Rokker
AHL Prospect

Post by Rokker »

Meh

Duco will be thrown to the wolves. ;)