Trade: Shirokov for Duco (FLA)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Captain Kirk

Trade: Shirokov for Duco (FLA)

Post by Captain Kirk »

FarhanLaljiTSN Farhan Lalji
#Canucks announce they've traded rights to Sergei Shirokov to Fla for rights to Mike Duco. Shirokov had been planning to play in KHL

Didn't see it posted up anywhere yet, forgive me if this is the wrong location, first few minutes on the forum.

Wolves fodder or will he get a shot at the fourth line? Small guy who scraps and plays hard.
West Coast Jets Fan
CC Veteran

Re: Trade: Shirokov for Duco (FLA)

Post by West Coast Jets Fan »

At first it does look a little "Kroggish"
1972-1996

3 Avco Cups
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

He doesn't mind dropping the gloves, has quite a fight card, including Carcillo, but he's ne Rypien
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

So we DID get something back for Russia-bound Shirokov!

Good call last week Bersnoozi:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:On a related note in relation to our farm club, it sounds like Sergei Shirokov will be returning to Russia. Can't blame him, he gave it a couple years, but not sure if he fits with the big club. I wonder if we can trade him for a mid-late draft pick?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Shirokov had his chances and never stuck - let's see if Duco can get some games in.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Turning a non-asset into at least some sort of asset. As with the Ebbett, Mancari, Pinizotto and Sulzer signings this just makes another guy who is likely primarily Chicago bound but has NHL experience and potential to fill in when needed.

And with all these guys there is the possibility of a surprise or two at camp.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Nice that we get an asset for Shirokov but if this guy ever plays for us I would be surprised and a little disappointed at our depth.

We do need some players for the farm team though.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

One thing to remember is Shirokov recently signed a 3 year deal in the KHL and I read somewhere that the NHL and Khl recently agreed to continue honoring each others contracts. For Florida this deal may be nothing more than an AHL salary dump.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Getting something for nothing is never a bad idea. :lol:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Thanx Strange. 8-)

Guess we traded an undersized offensive forward for an undersized scrapper. :lol: I know the chances of this happening are very low, but it'd really suck if Shirokov turns into the next Grabner.

Strangelove wrote:So we DID get something back for Russia-bound Shirokov!

Good call last week Bersnoozi:
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Shirokov wasn't going to fit with this current team, especially considering how deep our team is. No room in the top six, and especially no room on the bottom six, as imo we need a physical bottom 6, with skills and size.

He had one good game for the Canucks vs. the Avalanche in January, and thats it, but every other game prior and the one game after, we saw a player who just didn't have that NHL caliber talent.

At least with Duco, we have a scrappy/agitating hard working forechecker that we can use, and desperately need after Torres' departure.
At best he can slot in the 4th line LW spot, if not he should be on a two way contract, and be a decent callup when injuries occur.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Do we have some sort of agreement with Florida whereas they are allowed one last chance to outbid any other team the Canucks are dealing with?
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

tantalum wrote: Ebbett, Mancari, Pinizotto signings
+Duco...

Does Rodin, Grenier etc fit in there? It seems as though the Wolves are going to be competitive but it may cost a couple Canuck prospects a spot in the AHL.

I shudder at where Schroeder will fit in next yr.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

CFP! wrote:
tantalum wrote: Ebbett, Mancari, Pinizotto signings
+Duco...

Does Rodin, Grenier etc fit in there? It seems as though the Wolves are going to be competitive but it may cost a couple Canuck prospects a spot in the AHL.

I shudder at where Schroeder will fit in next yr.
At least he'll have quality teammates to play with, thereby allowing him hopefully to get some offensive spark and ultimately giving him confidence to start producing at a more prolific rate.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

^^^Schroeder and Ebbett both will fit in Lacks hockey bag.

Welcome Cookie!!!! I was hoping you'd make it.