Hodgson Outlook

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Hodgson Outlook

Post by Topper »

Arachnid wrote:
Topper wrote:Mathowny, It was not just 3rd line minutes for Cody, but sheltered third line minutes. He centred a thirdline that could not play a defensive role solely because of Cody's inadequacies. I have said since his days in junior, that he will struggle against NHL defensemen and the sheltered role AV was forced to play him in fundamentally hampered the way the coach could rotate his lines.

While folks went out on a limb here for this kid saying he'd be the next Adam Oates, elite vision, elite passing......, he couldn't play the role of an elite turd liner. His work in his own end was positionaly weak and physically absent. Until he could prove himself in his own end, he should not have earned a role on the team and ultimately that is what happened.

Cody will continue to struggle until he learns there are two ends to the rink and boards on the walls.
:o If he was black I'd call you a racist!....I'll call you that anyways...Racist! :P
Yes, I was always niggardly with my praise for Cody.

Shuffling the TO kid off to Buffalo........ can he afford a Pantera?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

coco_canuck wrote:
mathonwy wrote: There is no point to slag Cody.

It sounds like Cody kept his mouth shut and it was his dad that was doing all the yapping.
I don't know who you're directing that to, but I wasn't slagging Cody.

However, Cody did want more ice-time, and he did approach AV as it's reported in the media, so he was at least somewhat aligned with his dad's thinking.
mathonwy wrote: I seriously wonder if this is going impair his development.

Instead of playing sheltered minutes on a SC contender, behind 2 top notch first line centers and learning from them, he's now on a much weaker team who has an identity problem.
I guess we'll find out, but getting more ice-time on a patient team isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also count me as someone who thinks the Sabres aren't as bad as they seem. It's Miller time right now, and that may be enough to get them into the playoffs. The roster itself is still aways away from being a contender, but they have potential and lots of nice young players/prospects.

The issue right now is, the Sabres are fighting for their playoff lives, and that may come in conflict with their patience to let Cody develop. We might see his role reduced to the 3rd line again, but next season he should be better prepared to transition into a larger role.

My main point with Cody, it wasn't that couldn't step into a bigger role on the Canucks, its that he's simply not ready for a prime-time role in the NHL. His production in protected minutes gave the illusion that he's ready for prime-time, but if you paid close attention to the way he plays and the offensive opportunities he gets, you'd see a player who has some developing to do.

That's not a shot at Cody's potential, it's just a plain, and common fact with most rookies...it takes time to develop into a star.
I don't disagree with anything you say and I know you aren't slagging him. It was more of a reinforcement statement versus a disagreement.

In Cody, I saw glimpses of a highly skilled playmaker developing. I saw his foot speed getting a lot better and subsequently his ability to check opponents.

I also didn't see the defensive inadequacies that you and Mr. Topper point out. Not saying they aren't true, just that I didn't see it and I try to pay pretty close attention.

I guess I have to pay closer attention. :)
Mark2
AHL Prospect

Post by Mark2 »

Well said, Topper. I completely agree about his inadequate defensive play. On a team like the canucks that have Hank and Kesler as the top two centers, a solid defensive center like last year's Malhotra or Pahlsson is a necessity. Its sad to see a potential future star go, but it was a good move for the franchise. I've always been an advocate of having a third line act as the primary shut-down line to allow the first two lines to focus more on offence. Look at how well Kesler was able to perform last year when Malhotra was given more minutes against opposing teams' top lines. Picking up Pahlsson was a genius move and I hope he sticks around for a couple more years. That being said, I hope Hodgson does well in Buffalo or wherever else he ends up.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Malhotra's in ability to regain his game prior to the injury turns out to be a bigger hurdle than maybe we understand. Malhotra this season had been selected to the roster on the sole ability in the face off circle. Certainly Pahlasson wouldn't be with the team and who knows Cody might still be in the AHL. The team might well have been content with Bitz, who seems to have fallen off the cliff
cheers
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Mark2 wrote:That being said, I hope Hodgson does well in Buffalo or wherever else he ends up.
being in the same division as Toronto, I would love to see him become a Leaf killer.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fred wrote: The team might well have been content with Bitz, who seems to have fallen off the cliff
Bitz was the #1 CENTRE for the Wolves in their last game.

NOT kidding.

He's been playing well and getting into top shape.

He was sent down due to a numbers game more than anything else.

He'll be back up for some playoff games no doot aboot it cuz:

"If you can't beat 'em in the alley, you can't beat 'em in the rink". ;)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
drunken crunker
AHL Prospect

Post by drunken crunker »

Strangelove wrote:
Fred wrote: The team might well have been content with Bitz, who seems to have fallen off the cliff
Bitz was the #1 CENTRE for the Wolves in their last game.

NOT kidding.

He's been playing well and getting into top shape.

He was sent down due to a numbers game more than anything else.

He'll be back up for some playoff games no doot aboot it cuz:

"If you can't beat 'em in the alley, you can't beat 'em in the rink". ;)
Wouldn't mind seeing either Bitz or Kassian take a few turns w/ the Sedins.

Both Dan and Hank could certainly use the space a big body such as theirs would likely create.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Young Cody got his first of many Sabres point tonight! On the PP no less 8-)

Congratulations Young Cody, we were wrong about you all along!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Arachnid wrote:Young Cody got his first of many Sabres point tonight! On the PP no less 8-)

Congratulations Young Cody, we were wrong about you all along!
OMG OMG! Cody has had a breakout game! 2 points...as the Sabres win to barley make the playoffs :|
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Opening the door for RD's entrance...
Try to focus on THIS year... again
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Nice, in the meantime we getto marvel at the latest power forward gift that Darcy Regier unloaded upon Gillis - Zack Kassian. Does Regier have incriminating photo's of Gillis or something? First it was the great stone hands of Steve Bernier for our 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick, now it's the newest Steve Bernier like Stone Hands of Zack 'Alex Stojanov' Gassedian for our once great 3rd line offensive presence down the middle and the fantastic secondary scoring of - Cody Hodgson.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Arachnid wrote:OMG OMG! Cody has had a breakout game! 2 points...as the Sabres win to barley make the playoffs :|
Is barley making the playoffs where you don't actually make the playoffs, trade your #1 goalie because he is an ass, and then drink lots of beer?

Because then I understand.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Arachnid wrote:OMG OMG! Cody has had a breakout game! 2 points...as the Sabres win to barley make the playoffs :|
Is barley making the playoffs where you don't actually make the playoffs, trade your #1 goalie because he is an ass, and then drink lots of beer?

Because then I understand.

S_C
It's kinda more like, he jumped on his steed and galloped off in all directions....but I like the beer angle.

Leaves & Sabres will finish tied for 9th 1 pint out 8-)
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I see Marcus Foligno has scored another two goals tonight. What is that 5 goals since his call-up post the Trade Deadline. No wonder Gaustad and Kassian were expendable.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK