Hodgson Outlook

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Re: Hodgson Outlook

Post by Rudypoo »

Uncle dans leg wrote:CoHo is one injury removed from being one of the top rated prospects in the game. I think hitting the panic button with his development would be a dramatically bad premature ejaculation of a quality young up and coming centre. This kid can play despite his wheels. I saw him dominate against players who are now very good NHL players. Give him a chance to catch up.
Haven't we pointed out enough of Cody's flaws already? No need to get personal 8-)

As for his progression I think it's reasonable to hope for him to follow a similar path to that of Kesler, Burrows and particularly Raymond. Knowing AV, Hodgson will have to prove at the very least that he can pull his weight in a bottom-6 role and not hurt the team. (As Topper pointed out). I don't think anyone ever expected Mason Raymond to excel in a checking role, but he did have to earn his way by becoming a reasonable 3rd liner for a couple of seasons. Kesler and Burrows were essentially the inverse of that, but with AV still behind the bench I think the theory still holds true.

Realistically I would be happy if Hodgson plays 50-60 NHL games next year, pots somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15 goals and plays a legitimate two-way game. Oh yeah, and if he stays healthy :mrgreen: All that would be showing progress, and I know patience is starting to run out on the kid, but think about how horrible he looked in the pre-season and compare that to how he looked in the playoffs. He's progressing, it's just slow enough to make us wring our hands over his upside.

From the WJC, to the AHL and now the NHL I see a player that has the ability to assimilate and then "play up" to whatever level of hockey he is in. And in the end, maybe that will be his "but he can..."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

I think Cody is one hell of a smart player. He just needs some seasoning. Will he get it here with the Canucks? I hope so... but I think the management team knows what they are looking for, and I'd love to see Cody make the team this upcoming season.

His speed is lacking but he knows where to be on a play, and to ask that of a 19 year old kid shows pretty good promise.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

:
LotusBlossom wrote:I think Cody is one hell of a smart player. He just needs some seasoning. Will he get it here with the Canucks? I hope so... but I think the management team knows what they are looking for, and I'd love to see Cody make the team this upcoming season.

His speed is lacking but he knows where to be on a play, and to ask that of a 19 year old kid shows pretty good promise.

He will be 22 next february......but I agree.
Last edited by rats19 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

rats19 wrote::stupid:
LotusBlossom wrote:I think Cody is one hell of a smart player. He just needs some seasoning. Will he get it here with the Canucks? I hope so... but I think the management team knows what they are looking for, and I'd love to see Cody make the team this upcoming season.

He will be 22 next february......but I agree.
Why did I think the kid was younger? lol

Damn Stella Artois, stupid bitch always gets me drunk :P :drink:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ARM twisted near to breaking i am sure.:.lofl

I think its because he missed so much time withe injury..iysike he didn't age...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

rats19 wrote:ARM twisted near to breaking i am sure.:.lofl

I think its because he missed so much time withe injury..iysike he didn't age...
I'm in Winnipeg for a family wedding. All Moose fans, (now Jets fans) but they love Hodgson, so they think we're idiots in Vancouver for not suiting up the guy on a regular basis.

Yeah, I still believe in the kid, let's hope he can show coaching and management they should as well.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i just dont see where Hodgson fits into our system...sell him for what we can get or make him part of a package deal...lets not waste another first round pick...
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

LotusBlossom wrote: All Moose fans, (now Jets fans) but they love Hodgson, so they think we're idiots in Vancouver for not suiting up the guy on a regular basis.
Interesting to hear that from people who watch him regularly.

I wonder where does he fit in long-term. Kesler and Henrik are basically Canucks for life, and I don't see either of them degenerating to 3rd line center by the end of their current deals.

When Henrik was being brought up, center ice was weak and he was being put into the 2nd line center role virtually right off the bat - not necessarily in terms of ES TOI but certainly he was getting second unit PP time. When Kesler was being brought up as 3rd/4th line, most people (myself included) saw him as a career third liner that could spot-fill the second line when there were injuries but not a franchise center. So Hank and Kesler were groomed from the outset for their ultimate roles - scoring top line and solid 2-way (or checking, depending on hindsight).

For at least the next 2 seasons (duration of Manny's contract), 1-2-3 are locked up, and should Manny not be ready that 3rd line is built to shut down. Tough to say how Manny comes back to playing key minutes, but I don't see Hodgson passing him on the depth chart.

My question is, does anybody envision Hodgon being groomed to be a checker/shut-down center? If that's the best we can hope for from Hodgson, then there has to be better value in trading him. Unless he is re-branded as a winger and has some success there, I'd like to think we can get more for him than a 4th line center (which is his role for the next 2 seasons) with 3rd line potential (depending on where Manny goes).
august123
AHL Prospect

Post by august123 »

we know how scarce a good young center is nowadays. :D
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

ESQ wrote: My question is, does anybody envision Hodgon being groomed to be a checker/shut-down center? If that's the best we can hope for from Hodgson, then there has to be better value in trading him. Unless he is re-branded as a winger and has some success there, I'd like to think we can get more for him than a 4th line center (which is his role for the next 2 seasons) with 3rd line potential (depending on where Manny goes).
That's the way I see it. So some thing has to give. Some one has to move to wing. Either Kesler goes to wing as he did in the Sundin era or Hodgson goes to wing assuming they're going to give him a shot. But he's unable to go head to head with any of the current centres and win. Which line he plays on I don't know and if they intend to play him on wing why did they pick up Marco Sturm ?
cheers
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i think cody will be on that midnight plane to georgia soon...or someother location...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hodgson is definitely and interesting case right now.

He made some strides last year and really looked better after missing basically a year with his back. Will he ever be a top line centre scoring 20-30 and putting up 100 points, I don't know if I see it. Possibly a very good second line centre that can put up 60-70 points, and really there's nothing wrong with that.

As far as moving him goes because we are so deep at centre I don't know if i agree with that. Yes 1 & 2 are locked up for a few more years but when did Kesler start to make an impact, really when he was 23-24. Cody's age is about perfect to slot into a regular spot as a third line centre at this age, and if Hank can continue to provide the #1 offense it would be ideal to have Cody around in two years.

I'm also not convinced that we can completely rely on Malhotra. Yes the man is fantastic in the room, he awesome on face-offs and his work ethic is second to none but he has just come off a very serious injury that may require more surgeries before the season begins as HW suggested.
And even before that injury he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with an ability to provide that key centre for the second PP unit, and his line 5 on 5 was streaky at best. We forget how frustrating that line was due to the sentimental, feel good story of his miraculous recovery to play in the Finals.

As far as I'm concerned our third line centre spot is not as secure as one might think.

Therefore moving Cody just for the hell of it should be at the top of the priority list, I know no one is truly suggesting this, but I would definitely think twice before even shopping the kid at all. Now if a move comes along to grab up that 60 grit top 6 winger that can score then yeah you have to look at moving Cody. But without him around in a few years we have a big hole to fill.

Obviously we have a great opportunity in the next few years to return to the finals so he isn't untradable but I am a little more skeptical about sending him packing just yet.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

LotusBlossom wrote:

I'm in Winnipeg for a family wedding. All Moose fans, (now Jets fans) but WE love Hodgson
Hodgson Girl? :wink:
2011..... the one that got away.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:

I'm in Winnipeg for a family wedding. All Moose fans, (now Jets fans) but WE love Hodgson
Hodgson Girl? :wink:
:lol: Ah, one day, perhaps I will live down the HoldenGirl handle but I was a 21-22 year old when that handle was made :?
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

the Dogsalmon wrote:i just dont see where Hodgson fits into our system...sell him for what we can get or make him part of a package deal...lets not waste another first round pick...
Hmm. I totally disagree with you. I see him fitting in excellently with Malholtra and Hansen on the 3rd line next season as a checking/offense line. At 22, Coho has lots of time to grow, and as a smart kid, I expect we'll see him on the 2nd PP a lot. Selling him now makes almost no sense. And, we have been burned way too many times trading away top prospects without letting them develop (Can Neely, and Peca come to mind)

Twins/Burrows
Sturm/Kesler/Sammuelson
Coho/Manny/Jansen
?? /Lapiere/Higgins

With MayRay on the out looking in after he gets healthy/
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!