Cam Janssen?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Cam Janssen?

Post by ODB »

I hear what your saying... Janssen may not be the best option but you gotta admit he's an option. Better than... nobody!
Because I'm sure we agree this team needs some semblance of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence! As of today we have just a little more than none!

Again I'm not saying I want to ice a Burkie type team. Just one that has a few players whose balls have dropped!!! :oops:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Toughness, or lackthereof, had little to do with Vancouver losing in the finals. While Boston was a bigger, tougher team, the PP and entire lack of scoring is was killed them. Prior to facing Boston, there was no concern whatsoever about Vancouver's toughness. Now that they met their match and got defeated by a healthier squad, people want to go out and sign Ben Eager and Cam Janssen?

While I agree the 4th line was a joke and am happy to have seen the last of Glass, Bolduc, Rypien, Tambellini and Desbiens, an improved two-way presence on the wings is imperative while a stronger physical dimension is a must.

But a nuclear deterrent?

noidontthinksono
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I'm a firm believer in the nuclear deterrent and would love to see MacIntyre signed here. Even if he is parked in the press box until we need him, we will need him. The Canucks were shown to be a very easily manhandled team by the Bruins and regardless of what some may think it gave Boston a huge confidence boost. This indeed led to their overall dominance. So every team will be trying the same thing when the next season rolls around. How often are you willing to watch Daniel get smacked in the mouth over and over AGAIN. Our 4th line sucked and I would like to see someone with speed and an attitude play back there. I hope that MG and the boys sign someone who can play that role, but I do hope for a MacIntyre as well.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Canuck-One wrote:I'm a firm believer in the nuclear deterrent and would love to see MacIntyre signed here. Even if he is parked in the press box until we need him, we will need him. The Canucks were shown to be a very easily manhandled team by the Bruins and regardless of what some may think it gave Boston a huge confidence boost. This indeed led to their overall dominance. So every team will be trying the same thing when the next season rolls around. How often are you willing to watch Daniel get smacked in the mouth over and over AGAIN. Our 4th line sucked and I would like to see someone with speed and an attitude play back there. I hope that MG and the boys sign someone who can play that role, but I do hope for a MacIntyre as well.
I agree. AV hardly plays his fourth line, except Lapierre. Instead of wasting cap space on Janssen, I would rather waste it on someone like MacIntyre. At the very least, he can take care of guys like Eager and Carcillo...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:I agree. AV hardly plays his fourth line, except Lapierre. Instead of wasting cap space on Janssen, I would rather waste it on someone like MacIntyre. At the very least, he can take care of guys like Eager and Carcillo...
With the Malhotra injury, and how poorly he was in the faceoff circle in the finals, I'm not so sure LaPierre will be our 4th line centre to start the season.

Signing a guy like Janssen or even worse, MacIntyre and his 2 minutes of ice time, would be a complete waste. Having muscle in the lineup is fine, but at least make sure the guy can actually play.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:I agree. AV hardly plays his fourth line, except Lapierre. Instead of wasting cap space on Janssen, I would rather waste it on someone like MacIntyre. At the very least, he can take care of guys like Eager and Carcillo...
With the Malhotra injury, and how poorly he was in the faceoff circle in the finals, I'm not so sure LaPierre will be our 4th line centre to start the season.

Signing a guy like Janssen or even worse, MacIntyre and his 2 minutes of ice time, would be a complete waste. Having muscle in the lineup is fine, but at least make sure the guy can actually play.
Perhaps Manny will start out on the 4th line, wouldn't be such a bad thing. I can see Hodgson replacing Raymond on the wing for a few months or playing w/ Lapierre & Hansen on the 3rd. Malhotra will need time but he'll back on the 3rd line eventually even if its at wing.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

Agree, we need guys that can fight and play, these guys are just a waste of a roster spot and cap room.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

theman wrote:
herb wrote:With the Malhotra injury, and how poorly he was in the faceoff circle in the finals, I'm not so sure LaPierre will be our 4th line centre to start the season.

Agree, we need guys that can fight and play, these guys are just a waste of a roster spot and cap room.
Like Rypien?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Any coach worth his salt can cover a guy that's only going to get a couple of shifts a game. AND remember this the less time the 4th line is on the ice the more time your skill lines get to play. Having McIntire is no hardship for AV or shouldn't be...in fact especally AV the way he chnages his line chemistry during games.Having a dterant on the bench really chnages the mind set of some of the jerks in the game. Makes them stop and ponder some :D
cheers
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

ClamRussel wrote:
theman wrote:
herb wrote:With the Malhotra injury, and how poorly he was in the faceoff circle in the finals, I'm not so sure LaPierre will be our 4th line centre to start the season.

Like Rypien?
Amen.

gonna miss him.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ClamRussel wrote:Like Rypien?
....yes.

I would've liked to keep a guy like Rypien around as long as he was by a pretty fair margin the worst hockey player on our worst line.

That wasn't the case for most of his tenure here and it hurt the team.

Hard to hold against Ryp personally, though.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

dbr wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Like Rypien?
....yes.

I would've liked to keep a guy like Rypien around as long as he was by a pretty fair margin the worst hockey player on our worst line.

That wasn't the case for most of his tenure here and it hurt the team.

Hard to hold against Ryp personally, though.
My assumption is GMMG knew what Rypiens issues were and it was decided he wasn't a fit for our team. He's a boxer for sure but there were issues.... I’ll defer to those in the know and I’ll say it’s best he move on!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah, I would expand my post to mean anyone like Rypien since it's pretty clear that whatever kind of player he is, the off-ice issues were simply too much of a factor for him to keep playing here.
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

Last edited by Rudypoo on Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

BOS wrote: Now that they met their match and got defeated by a healthier squad, people want to go out and sign Ben Eager and Cam Janssen?
Peeps, we have time to get the toughness back. Really we don't need it till playoffs. That right now is a long way off. Who knows maybe Gillis picked up Sturm to prove his scoring and ability, increase his value then trade him after Xmas.

And to add about the quote above, Ben Eager sure helped San Jose didn't he? He singly handed gave us a win in that series. I don't think I want a liability like that on my team.

btw..welcome all the new blood to CC, it's great to see.

Time for me to get outside and enjoy our short summer.