Cam Janssen?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Cam Janssen?

Post by Strangelove »

Apparently GMMG is trying to sign Cam Janssen to a 2-way deal, but Ill bet if signed it'll be a one-way league-minimum deal(seriously the Wolves might be more fun to watch than the Nucks this season wot with all the bleephole-krogging going on). Cam Janssen is a perfect bleephole, but unfortunately a NHL-4th-line-at-best bleephole.

Hansen - Jensen - Janssen ?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Cam Janssen?

Post by ODB »

I was hoping GMMG would go after a few bleepholes...

Daniel Carcillo dropped the gloves 13 times last season 6pts. He went to Chicago for 1 year 775k!

Zenon Konopka dropped the gloves 25 times last season 9pts. He went to Ottawa for 1 year 700k

Mike Rupp Dropped the gloves 12 times (fought dudes like Shelley, Carkner, Boll, Konopka and Thornton) 17pts. He went to the Rangers for 3yrs @ 1.5m.

It appears GMMG is the only guy on the plant that doesn't think we get pushed around! Maybe he secretly enjoys watching his superstars get punched in the head five times with NO RESPONCE!

Come on Janssen! He dropped the gloves 17 times (fought dudes like Scott, Boll, Barch, Bissonnette and Perros) 3pts!

We need someone! We need a few...
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I agree that the Canucks need more Jam, but I'm definitely not sold on a guy like Cam. 8-)

The Canucks need Ace-holes that can play, guys that if needed can be bumped up a line or two to fill holes when injuries arise. We didn't lose the Cup because we didn't have a nuclear deterrent, one of the issues was that our grit died at the worst time. The second Kesler ripped the groin it was all downhill.

Like Doc said the Wolves will definitely be interesting, will definitely head out your Doc way to catch them beat on the Junior Flamers.

That said I do think Gillis will address the Ace-hole issue, and Janssen may be a part of it but he would be the 13 forward at best.

We really don't need a guy like Janssen to deter little pukes like Marchand, we just needed a healthy lineup.

Hopefully by getting tougher as a group we can avoid an accumulation of injuries on our road to the Cup next year ;)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah I was holding out hope for top 6 (and top 4) bleepholes, but I'm really starting to doubt Gillis will bring it.

Scotty Upshall on a 5-year $4M-per contract was what I woulda offered!

Your friend & GM-wannabe,

- Strangelove
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, looks like MG is going with a skating team that will beat u with speed/transition, rather than a big, gritty beat u up team. As much as I want to see some more gritty guys here, I'd stay away from Upshall/Cole (especially for the dollars they signed).
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Yeah, looks like MG is going with a skating team that will beat u with speed/transition, rather than a big, gritty beat u up team. As much as I want to see some more gritty guys here, I'd stay away from Upshall/Cole (especially for the dollars they signed).
And really who knows eh Bersnoozi? Speed/transition didn't look too bad last season. Took us all the way to game 7! Where did Burkies proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence get his teams over the last three seasons? I personally would like to see 88% speed/transition and 12% pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence! Speed and skill kills in this league. A$$holes are nice to have when the road gets bumpy and it will get bumpy!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I want speed, skill, pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

In that order.

Is THAT too much to ask?? :cry:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Strangelove wrote:I want speed, skill, pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

In that order.

Is THAT too much to ask?? :cry:
Me too. I was pumping up the tires of Rupp and Winchester myself. They can play and fight but obviously Old Luggage Eyes sees things differently. He likes to see his team get abused more than Farrah Fawcett in the Burning Bed .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Old Luggage Eyes
ROFLMFAO!

ImageImageImage
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I have a feeling Gillis is trying to create his own Rupp or Winchester.

So instead of paying for them as a UFA he's bringing some younger tougher guys that may be able to take the next step and become a decent 4th liner with some toughness.

Hence the Pinizotto, Mancari and Volpatti signings.

Probably a good idea as who wants to waste cap space on guys like that when we should be able to develop our own with the proper scouting and development.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Maybe, but getting an enforcer is like the cheapest player out there. U can probably get Winchester for $800k, maybe about $1mill. $800k is not alot for insurance to protect your $5mill superstars and young players. If anything, they'll probably play with more jam cuz they know they have a big fella to watch their backs.

Aaronp18 wrote:I have a feeling Gillis is trying to create his own Rupp or Winchester.

So instead of paying for them as a UFA he's bringing some younger tougher guys that may be able to take the next step and become a decent 4th liner with some toughness.

Probably a good idea as who wants to waste cap space on guys like that when we should be able to develop our own with the proper scouting and development.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Maybe, but getting an enforcer is like the cheapest player out there. U can probably get Winchester for $800k, maybe about $1mill. $800k is not alot for insurance to protect your $5mill superstars and young players. If anything, they'll probably play with more jam cuz they know they have a big fella to watch their backs.
True enough. But $500-300K here and there can add up.

And we'll need that room when we bring Weber over here ;)

I think Gillis may have an issue with paying a guy close to $1M that may see the press box the majority of the year, and when he does play gets under 5min per game. I would have the same issue.

However if he finds a guy that can provide more, like I said the ability to move up a line when needed, I would have no problem at all giving him more than league min to play for us.

And of course we really have no idea what guys like WInchester and Rupp are asking for right now. Hell they see some of these ridiculous contracts out there and probably think that some team that needs to get to the cap floor will give them more money to play for them.

And if that's they way they are thinking then they don't want to win and I don't want them on my team.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Maybe, but getting an enforcer is like the cheapest player out there. U can probably get Winchester for $800k, maybe about $1mill. $800k is not alot for insurance to protect your $5mill superstars and young players. If anything, they'll probably play with more jam cuz they know they have a big fella to watch their backs.

Aaronp18 wrote:I have a feeling Gillis is trying to create his own Rupp or Winchester.

I tend to agree with the relative low cap hit being worth it. I wasn't a fan of our 4th line last year. It sucked and a fighter really shouldn't leave us any worse off. Gillis made lots of improvements and I hope this year he can re-make that line. A nuclear deterrent can't hurt Aaron. Especially if it comes at 800k!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Janssen is not a feared man in the NHL. If you want to have a nuclear deterrent. Get some one that can put the fear of God into Chara while he's at it. You want a Steve McIntire type. Jensssen might show up but he ain't going to strike fear with the real heavy weights. IMO

He isn't going to see the ice, neither will janssen

McIntire/Boogard http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/98761

can you see Janssen ding this ??
Last edited by Fred on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ODB wrote: Gillis made lots of improvements and I hope this year he can re-make that line. A nuclear deterrent can't hurt Aaron. Especially if it comes at 800k!

Well for the most part the nuclear deterrent won't hurt but they can most definitely, see Ben Eager in game 2.

I don't want that type of BS from a player.

It's one thing to be tough and gritty, and well an overall a-hole but it's another to embarrass your team and act like you should be playing in a bush league.

I know we're all disappointed by the loss in the finals but Eager had zero positive impact in the conference finals. And even though the Bruins had Thornton I really don't believe he was the difference. The Bruins would have won that series with or without him.

I prefer team toughness. A guy at least on every line that can play physical and stick up for his line-mates when necessary. I like the potential development of a hockey player that can increase the team toughness rather than investing in a goon that could potentially take away from the overall skill of the team.