Brad Winchester?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Brad Winchester?

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The province recommended the Canucks take a look @ UFA Brad Winchester. I think he's a true heavyweight and is 6'5, 215 pounds. He'd be a good guy to throw out there against teams like the Bruins (let him take on Scott Thornton and keep Marchand honest). Oilers toughened up too with Eager, Hornychuk, and Barker... it'd be nice to have a guy like Winchester around, just in case some old school hockey/battle royal ensues. :lol: I know AV likes to have 4th liners that can play, but he only plays them like 5 mins/game anyways, why not have some muscle back there to protect his star players?

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Brad Winchester?

Post by ClamRussel »

I'd be all for it, I seem to recall Winchester being alright. Dude scored 13 goals a couple of yrs ago so he can play.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Winchester is 6' 5" and 230 lbs. He is a rugged banger who will drop them when needed. He can score as Clam pointed out he potted 13 a couple of years back and 10 last year. He is capable of a regular 4th line shift. I would still like another touch of sandpaper back there as well.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler-Sturm

Hansen-Manny-Oreskovich

Winchester-LaPierre-_______

At least until Raymond and Samuelsson get back.

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

I'd be all for signing Winchester.

I'm surprised he hasn't signed anywhere yet considering a similar player in Mike Rupp got a 3 year deal at $1.5M per year. I think Rupp is the better fighter and overall tougher player, but Winchester would be a nice fit on our 4th line.

Who knows what he's looking for, but I think it's pretty obvious Gillis is unwilling to give projects and 4th liners multi-year deals. I guess signing Ryan Johnson and Darcy Hornysuck to multi-year deals has him a bit gun shy.

But at this point, since he hasn't signed anywhere, he could probably be had on a 1-year deal.

Ultimately, the type of player the Canucks need won't be playing on the 4th line. We need a top-6 player with size and grit who's wired to go to the net and muck it up.

That's the type of impact player who will make a real difference.

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Kind of agree with coco and others. Winchester would be a decent addition but ultimately a top 6 guy like a Lucic or a Ladd( yeah I know they don't grow on trees) is what this team needs. They are too easy to play against and when the physical intensity is ramped up come playoff time and goals are harder to come by, the Canucks don't have enough guys to get those greasy goals you need in the post season. This much was shown by the Canucks abysmal playoff goal scoring totals.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

So who are these top 6 forwards w/ grit that could be available? ...and at what cost?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

ClamRussel wrote:So who are these top 6 forwards w/ grit that could be available? ...and at what cost?
I was hoping you knew the answer to that Clambake.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

I'd rather have Winchester than Janssen anyday!
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

SKYO wrote:I'd rather have Winchester than Janssen anyday!
Yeah me too. Then when he beats up somebody I can somehow reference : "Welcome to Winchestertonfieldville, Mr. _____"
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.

LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Good to see some addition in the size department. I haven't seen much of what Winchester could do. Luckily for us, this off-season is a short one. We'll see them all soon enough.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde

benivolent
CC Rookie

Post by benivolent »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:
SKYO wrote:I'd rather have Winchester than Janssen anyday!
Yeah me too. Then when he beats up somebody I can somehow reference : "Welcome to Winchestertonfieldville, Mr. _____"
haha, awesome, a Mr. Deeds reference!

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Maxwell Edison
CC Rookie

Post by Maxwell Edison »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Kind of agree with coco and others. Winchester would be a decent addition but ultimately a top 6 guy like a Lucic or a Ladd( yeah I know they don't grow on trees) is what this team needs. They are too easy to play against and when the physical intensity is ramped up come playoff time and goals are harder to come by, the Canucks don't have enough guys to get those greasy goals you need in the post season. This much was shown by the Canucks abysmal playoff goal scoring totals.
I agree with this completely, the one thing with the Canucks in the post-season was other than Kesler there was no real grit in the top 6 and when Vigneault shortened the bench in tight games (did the fourth line play at all in the double OT game vs San Jose?), the team was getting physically dominated and couldn't play a puck possession game with the added physicality; I don't think that signing a fourth line player is going to make any difference in this regard. There needs to be something added to the top 6, a big body who can play well with the Sedin's would be preferable - but we have all seen how the Bernier experiments have worked out in the past.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

LotusBlossom wrote:Good to see some addition in the size department. I haven't seen much of what Winchester could do. Luckily for us, this off-season is a short one. We'll see them all soon enough.
Wait did we actually sign him?

I thought it was still a rumour - that we were kicking tires at this point??

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Given the size and toughness deficit currently plaguing our forward group, especially since the departures of Torres and Glass, a guy like Winchester would be a welcome addition to the bottom 6. He's big (freaking huge actually), can play 10+ minutes a game, will stand up for himself and his teammates and can pot the odd goal (unlike Fanner Glass).

I still think we need somebody in the top 6 who plays with more 'jam', but that's another topic altogether...