Hansen goes to Arbitration

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Hansen goes to Arbitration

Post by tantalum »

Higgins last two contracts were signed as a UFA so those contracts can not be used as a comparable.

Higgins also has 3 20+ goal seasons under his belt. Production wise for 82 games he has averaged 21 G and 39 points in his NHL career. That includes his absolutely horrific 09/10 season were he was on a 20 point pace.

Such a comparison would not go well for Hansen even if he could use it.

Higgins is actually the guy I can easily see having a fantastic couple of seasons if he stays healthy. He has good talent and compliments Kesler so well that it may be difficult to split them up. He had a 50 point season only 3 years ago and the one before that he was at that pace. Other than that one bad season his other two "bad" seasons put him at a 17 goal pace. And he is still 28. As I said if he stays healthy. He's had some injuries that linger and have tripped him up. If he gets some confidence early he might just blossom into the type of player people thought he'd be when he was drafted 14th overall.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tciso wrote:I'd say that the most important step needed for JH to take a leap in production would be to have consistent line mates.

Given a chance to develop some chemistry with any 2 consistent (and hopefully talented) line mates, he could really thrive.
Not sure if you've seen this tool but it's pretty useful for stuff like this.

Hansen actually played over 42% of his even strength time with the same linemates (Malhotra/Torres) and a significant amount of the other 58% he played with one of those players. Which may not seem like a lot, but isn't that dissimilar to other Canuck forwards (with the obvious exception of the first line).

I would say the major factor in Hansen's lack of production last season was the defensive role in which he was cast with Manny Malhotra; they had few offensive zone starts and no powerplay time.

If Hansen can work his way into the top six (or if the identity of the third line changes next season) then I think his point totals will benefit, whether AV is mixing and matching the lines or not.
Rayxor wrote:Although his value to the team may justify a 2 M pricetage, andthats not to say he is Burrows' equal as he sgned his a few years ago, I think the arbitrator will simply look at what his current statistical peers are which would put him somewhere in the 1.5 territory.
I said this elsewhere, but two recent comparables are Max Talbot's contract in 2008 and Kyle Brodziak's in 2009. Accounting for cap inflation Hansen would come in around $1.2-1.3m, however I would gladly tack on a few hundred thousand a year to buy some UFA years.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

tantalum wrote:Higgins last two contracts were signed as a UFA so those contracts can not be used as a comparable.
Forgot about Higgins' previous (2010) contract being ineligible for comparison. It could have provided an upper limit reference.

Higgins' battle level went up in the finals. :)
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

I'm a big fan of Hansens hustle, speed and determination.

I would like to see him locked up for 4 years, would MG have to go as high as 1.8 - 2M per to get it done?

If Hansen can break out to be a 20-25 goal scorer, which I believe is possible as he matures and gains confidence, this contract would be considered a steal.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

tantalum wrote:Higgins is actually the guy I can easily see having a fantastic couple of seasons if he stays healthy. He has good talent and compliments Kesler so well that it may be difficult to split them up. He had a 50 point season only 3 years ago and the one before that he was at that pace. Other than that one bad season his other two "bad" seasons put him at a 17 goal pace. And he is still 28. As I said if he stays healthy. He's had some injuries that linger and have tripped him up. If he gets some confidence early he might just blossom into the type of player people thought he'd be when he was drafted 14th overall.
This is why I was so surprised to hear the rumours that Higgins was going to test free agency and that he would prefer to play back east. Him and Kesler seem to play so well together. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Higgins gets back to scoring 20+ goals and has a great couple of years here. I like his north-south, fast, gritty game. If the Dane developed some finish that could be a really interesting, bloody fast and physical second line.

My guess for Hansen is $1.2M per. A bit of a raise, but he'll be hard pressed to get much more as an RFA with less than 30 career goals.

As an aside, Mason Raymond will see himself on the outside looking in when he comes back from this injury. Hansen, Higgins, Samuelsson and Sturm are all more than capable of playing with Kesler a lot this season. While we don't have that 2nd line power forward I have been hoping for (yet), I do like the competition and insurance GMMG has created with all this winger depth.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

It's already started, I had forgotten about sturm...
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Canes just signed Sutter to a 3 yr $6.2 mil deal. It's a good deal from the canucks negotiating point of view as Sutter is younger, has a 20 goal season under his belt, was third in ES icetime among Cane forwards, 1st in SH icetime among Cane forwards and was essentially their shut down guy up front. It's a better resume than Hansen. What makes it even better for the canucks is how the contract is structured...$1.5, 2.0, and 2.7 mil over three years.
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

I'm really hoping Gillis can sign Hansen for 3 or 4 years. If it goes to arbitration and he gets around $1.3 then I think we'll be paying a lot more for him in a year or two.

In my opinion, at worst he is going to continue to be a very quick and hard working 3rd line winger that is defensively responsible and will contribute a bit of offense. His upside though is quite a bit higher. For much of the playoffs, I thought Hansen was our third or fourth best winger. I think he's on the verge of taking another step forward. If so, he could deserve some time on Kesler's line. He's already creating enough chances in his limited ice time that I think he wouldn't look out of place on that line. If he works hard on improving his shot and his ability to finish I think he could be a big upgrade over Raymond on the second line.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Brian Boyle signed a 3 year deal worth $5.1M, averaging $1.7M

Last year Boyle scored 21 goals and had 35 points and averaged about 15:40 ice-time a night, including a big PK role. He had 12 more goals, 6 more points and played 1 more minute per game than Hansen.

I see the Canucks signing Hansen anywhere between $1.2-1.5M on a 2 or 3 year deal.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I agree. I believe Boyle deal takes up 2 years of unrestricted free agency so there is some salary elevation for that. If he scores 20+ goals again this season he would be getting a lot more than $1.7 on the open market next summer if he only signed a one year deal.

If Hansen wants the big(ger) money he needs to give up some UFA years.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

It looks as though my and many others thoughts on his salary are inline....$1.3~1.8/yr for three/fours years.

My god, over a mil for 20 points!

Regardless, he bring intanglibles that have been mentioned and some forward-thinking that can possibly replace a missing Ray-Ray if GMMG cannot get a suitable winger for Kes or if Sturm shits the bed (given the opp).

I'm not advocating Hansen as a second liner with a Burrows salary, but more of a lineup shuffle back and forth fill in ATM. I really enjoy his work and D game, so seeing him pick up his offensive game would be huge, especially on a LT contract.

Hamhuis'Hip
AHL Prospect

Post by Hamhuis'Hip »

@RealKyper
Nick Kypreos
#NHL news #Canucks Jannik Hansen settles his case and agrees to a new 3 year deal.
No other details out yet...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

rumour....5mill 3yrs 1.66per

like the 3ys myself...
Getting old is not for the young...
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

I would have liked to see 4 yrs at that annual hit, but three is better than two and it's better than going to arbitration.
Hamhuis'Hip
AHL Prospect

Post by Hamhuis'Hip »

rats19 wrote:rumour....5mill 3yrs 1.66per

like the 3ys myself...
I could live with 1.66 per. His defensive game is good but his offensive numbers aren't. Maybe Gillis is paying for some future potential not yet realized.

EDIT: Is the rumour from the TEAM1040 report?