Hansen goes to Arbitration

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Hansen goes to Arbitration

Post by ODB »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Fred wrote:Hansen strikes me as a player that's up tight, to score you have to be relaxed IMo. He was a goal scorer with the Winterhawks and Henrik often mentioned the great goals he scores in practises, in fact he said he's the greatest practise player in the NHL. He still has time and a long term deal might be the best move for MG
That's just the thing, he is too tight when he is in game mode. He has all the skill to be a good goal scorer, but he needs to relax. Mind you, half of the reason many of us like him is because he is pretty tight on the ice. He's always willing to go the distance, even if he can't shoot worth shizznit
Just a guess here but it’s possible he squeezes the stick because AV has a tendency to bench a guy if they make a mistake. It’s tough to relax and just feel the play when you’re on pins and needles. Although in all fairness Hansen seems to be one of AV’s favorites. Other guys like Ballard or CoHo make the slightest error and they’re riding the pine for good!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hansen only earned a full time spot this past season. Prior to that he saw plenty of press box time and spent time in AV's doghouse. I'll say again the Burrows comparable should not be overlooked at this stage of his career.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper I like the Burrows comparison. Though I think he may top out at about 15-20 goals mainly because he won't be playing with the Sedin's in their prime.

I also like how you spelled universities in your sig :P

Ah good to be here.

I also don't think Hansen should make more than Burrows, so $1.5-1.75 seems perfect for about a 3-4 year deal.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Does anyone else have a feeling that, if Gillis intends on making a significant move on the trade front this summer, a package involving Hansen is a realistic possibility?

Would I like to see JH dealt? No, absolutely not. But I do believe Gillis has to be looking to improve the top six on this team if they have any chance of improving on last season's success, and the second line (crippled by an aging Swede coming off surgery and an enigmatic speedster who's seemingly plateaued) is the main area of concern.

I have little doubt Gillis will improve upon the abysmal fourth line. Re-signing Lappy and a healthy Malhotra is a good start.

I suppose it's possible the team begins the season with Higgens and Sturm on the second line, seeing as Samuelsson entering October on the LTIR alongside Mason isn't out of the question.

Adding a robust winger alongside Kesler and one of Higgens/Sturm would be far more desirable however, but aside from some above-average prospects or undesirable draft picks, what else does Gillis have to high-light a proposal?

Hansen perhaps?

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

BOS wrote: Hansen perhaps?
Very possible.

But what about signing Hansen and using Burrows as bait.

Would likely bring in more as his cap hit is unreal and talent undeniable.

It's fairly clear that anyone with half a brain and some hockey sense can play with the Sedins and Sturm may in fact be a great fit. They are going to score with or without Burrows on their line and Sammy, Higgins, Sturm and whoever comes back from a Burrows deal could likely spot with the twins 5 on 5.

The 1st PP doesn't even feature their winger.

Sign Hansen for under $2M, move Burr in a package for that top 6 winger!

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

It's certainly possible Gillis may deal Hansen, but I doubt he'll be the cornerstone of any significant trade.

To be honest, I just wrote that to not get too off-topic...I'm glad to see some old CC users on this board, we'll see how it shakes out ladies and gents.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I wholeheartedly agree. My only concern is what kind of effect it would have removing a (seemingly) popular core player from the room.

Further, does Burrows indeed have that much more trade value than Jannik? What kind of numbers does Burrows put up sans Sedins? How many dressing rooms would openly accept Burrows after hating him for the past several years? Who would Juice, Kes et al make fun of in his stead?

CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

ODB wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
Fred wrote:Hansen strikes me as a player that's up tight, to score you have to be relaxed IMo. He was a goal scorer with the Winterhawks and Henrik often mentioned the great goals he scores in practises, in fact he said he's the greatest practise player in the NHL. He still has time and a long term deal might be the best move for MG
That's just the thing, he is too tight when he is in game mode. He has all the skill to be a good goal scorer, but he needs to relax. Mind you, half of the reason many of us like him is because he is pretty tight on the ice. He's always willing to go the distance, even if he can't shoot worth shizznit
Just a guess here but it’s possible he squeezes the stick because AV has a tendency to bench a guy if they make a mistake. It’s tough to relax and just feel the play when you’re on pins and needles. Although in all fairness Hansen seems to be one of AV’s favorites. Other guys like Ballard or CoHo make the slightest error and they’re riding the pine for good!

Hansen prior to this season battled his way out of AV's doghouse. Not sure if he bought AV dinner, or took him out to movies or whatever, he has successfully won over AV's heart, which is a good sign for a 25 year old young hockey player.

He's still young, and I believe he could be one of the core players for this team.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I definitely like his speed! The hands will/should come. A guy can work on that in practice but speed.... ya either got it or ya don't!

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote:I definitely like his speed! The hands will/should come. A guy can work on that in practice but speed.... ya either got it or ya don't!
Here that Cody?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

ODB wrote:I definitely like his speed! The hands will/should come. A guy can work on that in practice but speed.... ya either got it or ya don't!
Kesler, as I recall, had hands of stone his first several years in the bigs. Not unlike Kes, Hansen has put up strong numbers at every level he's played at.

He's known as the hardest worker at practice by all his mates. Over time, that work ethic is bound to pay dividends for Jannik just as it has for Kesler's development arch.

CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

BOS wrote:
Kesler, as I recall, had hands of stone his first several years in the bigs. Not unlike Kes, Hansen has put up strong numbers at every level he's played at.

He's known as the hardest worker at practice by all his mates. Over time, that work ethic is bound to pay dividends for Jannik just as it has for Kesler's development arch.
Yes I remember that. Kesler's hand of stone was not a joke. It was BAD, seriously bad. There was a period I believed he'd be the next Denis Pederson.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hansen's arbitration date is set for July 29th.

Others listed here as well:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5689 ... -headlines

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

BOS wrote:Further, does Burrows indeed have that much more trade value than Jannik? What kind of numbers does Burrows put up sans Sedins?
Wouldn't a better question be, does he create offence with them or is he just tapping in empty net goals? I think he does quite well w/o him in fact the most important question is how many pts would Burrows get if he actually saw icetime w/ the Sedins? Up to now he receives almost zero as AV loads it up w/ Kesler who is a right handed shot. Burrows deserves full credit for his production and doesn't piggy back on anyone. The guy has solid hands and very good hockey sense. Look at the OT goals he scored against Chicago and Boston. The Sedins are lucky they were on the ice to piggy back the +2s; those goals were 100% Burrows. The guy is the real deal.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

ClamRussel wrote: Wouldn't a better question be, does he create offence with them or is he just tapping in empty net goals? I think he does quite well w/o him in fact the most important question is how many pts would Burrows get if he actually saw icetime w/ the Sedins? Up to now he receives almost zero as AV loads it up w/ Kesler who is a right handed shot. Burrows deserves full credit for his production and doesn't piggy back on anyone. The guy has solid hands and very good hockey sense. Look at the OT goals he scored against Chicago and Boston. The Sedins are lucky they were on the ice to piggy back the +2s; those goals were 100% Burrows. The guy is the real deal.
I completely agree with Clam! Before Burrows landed the sweetest job in hockey AV tried EVERYONE and nobody was able to produce like Burrows! It's no accident that the Sedins have taken their game to another level since meshing with Burrows. I wouldn't argue that Burrows is as skilled as the twins but I sure as hell believe he's a very important cog in that wheel. He's a bleeping steal at 2 million! Two more years none the less!

No way you'd consider trading him. He's also in VERY tight with the core of the team. Burr, Kess and Juice are three peas in a pod! GMMG would be nuts to even consider moving Burrows!