Sturm signed

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Sturm signed

Post by Cornuck »

At this point, we've taken a step back from where we were last year. But there's still a lot time before the season starts.

So far Gillis hasn't disappointed, although the Sturm signing has me shaking my head.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Well you'd like to think he might've taken less to play on a team that won't be heading straight to the golf course but thats obviously quite an assumption. I think we saw a clear example of what clearly motivates him.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

The Sturm signing was universally panned in this thread.

What does everyone think now that they have had a look at his pre-season, and the first two games?

He showed nice hands in his first pre-season game, but it was really sad to see him struggle up the ice on a breakaway opportunity last night against Columbus where - before his knee injuries - he would have outdistanced the defence... but instead he was caught easily, and the puck taken away.

He looks totally out of sync on the second line, and I believe "pressbox Ebbett" would be more useful in the top 6 at this point.

Not a good start to the season, and looking like a very poor free agent signing.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Southern_Canuck wrote:The Sturm signing was universally panned in this thread.

What does everyone think now that they have had a look at his pre-season, and the first two games?

He showed nice hands in his first pre-season game, but it was really sad to see him struggle up the ice on a breakaway opportunity last night against Columbus where - before his knee injuries - he would have outdistanced the defence... but instead he was caught easily, and the puck taken away.

He looks totally out of sync on the second line, and I believe "pressbox Ebbett" would be more useful in the top 6 at this point.

Not a good start to the season, and looking like a very poor free agent signing.

S_C

I need to see him play another 10 games before I judge. The second line is just starting to play together so it may take some time for them to gel. He is learning a new team, new system and coming off some nasty injuries/surgeries. If he still has no presence in 10 games then I'll be one of the first to pan him but right now he gets some time, in my book, to adjust to the team and fit in. Much like Samuellson in his first year had to find a role I think Strum needs a few more games under his belt.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Not a good start to the season, and looking like a very poor free agent signing.
You'd have to know what the Canucks passed up in order to sign Sturm to call him a poor free agent signing.

Did Gillis choose between Sturm and Scottie Upshall or Erik Cole (and if so would one of those contracts be preferable)? Or did he choose between Sturm and standing pat?

At any rate, if Sturm is still playing like this in a month the Canucks can waive him and be done with it.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

At this point, it looks like he's storing his $2.5mm in his skates. Not impressed (yes, I realize its game #2).
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

dbr wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Not a good start to the season, and looking like a very poor free agent signing.
You'd have to know what the Canucks passed up in order to sign Sturm to call him a poor free agent signing.

Did Gillis choose between Sturm and Scottie Upshall or Erik Cole (and if so would one of those contracts be preferable)? Or did he choose between Sturm and standing pat?
Cole is definitely worth the extra $2million. But, it's the next 3 seasons on his 4 year contract that should be scaring Montreal. I prefer Sturm for 1 year to Cole for 4 years. But, if Cole has 4 straight 50 point seasons, I might be forced to change my mind.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

That's exactly my point (and I would guess the odds of Cole stringing together four good seasons are not spectacular).

Gillis signed Sturm to a deal unlike what most other teams signed unrestricted free agent forwards to last offseason - he got an NHL vet (one with question marks) signed to a one year deal.

If the short term was crucial to MG (and based on his track record there's reason to believe it was) and if the long terms were crucial to other UFAs then it's reasonable to assume that the Canucks choice for a player on a short term deal was likely down to Sturm or a player like Patrick O'Sullivan or Nic Bergfors or Alex Ponikarovsky.

The only players I see who signed short term deals in the offseason that might be preferable are Vaclav Prospal and Jaromir Jagr.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:The only players I see who signed short term deals in the offseason that might be preferable are Vaclav Prospal and Jaromir Jagr.
Jagr would have been awesome if for nothing more than a good off season laugh!
Last edited by herb on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I think we need to re-assess after 10 games. It's not like Raymond or Sammy isn't as streaky as hell either and they've both went for long stretches without doing jack.

Doesn't look good though when a young kid is outplaying both linemates in every aspect of the game.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hank wrote:I think we need to re-assess after 10 games. It's not like Raymond or Sammy isn't as streaky as hell either and they've both went for long stretches without doing jack.

Doesn't look good though when a young kid is outplaying both linemates in every aspect of the game.
Second and third line forwards are always streaky as hell. That's why they're second and third line forwards and not first line forwards! If Samuelsson wasn't streaky he'd be a perennial 50 goal scorer making $7M. If Samuelsson and Raymond have taught me anything, it's that we need to give these guys 20-30 games at a minimum before we can make an evaluation on their effectiveness. Sturm is a smart player who knows where to go in the offensive zone to be dangerous. I don't think he lost his hockey sense on the operating table, and is by no means a slow skater at this point, so I think he'll be reasonably effective.

In other news, are Manny and Marco related???
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

herb wrote:
Hank wrote:I think we need to re-assess after 10 games. It's not like Raymond or Sammy isn't as streaky as hell either and they've both went for long stretches without doing jack.

Second and third line forwards are always streaky as hell. That's why they're second and third line forwards and not first line forwards! If Samuelsson wasn't streaky he'd be a perennial 50 goal scorer making $7M. If Samuelsson and Raymond have taught me anything, it's that we need to give these guys 20-30 games at a minimum before we can make an evaluation on their effectiveness. Sturm is a smart player who knows where to go in the offensive zone to be dangerous. I don't think he lost his hockey sense on the operating table, and is by no means a slow skater at this point, so I think he'll be reasonably effective.

In other news, are Manny and Marco related???
Agree, but the natives won't have the patience for 20-30 games. They'll need to see a glimpse of the Perfect Sturm soon.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I haven't been impressed with Sturm so far as well. I thought he was supposed to be fast, but haven't really seen any speed so far. I know it's still early and I'm willing to give him 20ish games, but if he keeps this up, when Kes and MayRay come back, I'll drive him to the airport. :P

He's looking like our next Demitra, minus any signs of offence.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I haven't been impressed with Sturm so far as well. I thought he was supposed to be fast, but haven't really seen any speed so far. I know it's still early and I'm willing to give him 20ish games, but if he keeps this up, when Kes and MayRay come back, I'll drive him to the airport. :P

He's looking like our next Demitra, minus any signs of offence.
So far it looks like 1.75 on Torres for two years would have been money better spent.
2011..... the one that got away.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If nothing else, it's nice to have a new whipping boy in town.

I think that 20 games should be more than enough to see if he's of any value to the team. Will he be better than MayRay when he comes back? Who knows - but for now, he's about all we have.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."