Luongo's "new" style

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Luongo's "new" style

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

I was thinking last night. Once again watching Luongo, who isn't doing bad in the playoffs but then again he isn't doing well either. His save % is lower to Thomas, Rolly, and Neimi. I was sitting after Neimi brilliantly fended off a 5 on 3. Then it was Luongo's turn, I said to the tv (which I do often during the playoffs) prove me wrong Luongo, shut the door. Well he didn't, sadly to say I wasn't surprised.

So Luongo, has adopted a new saving style, which I figure is better for the regular season, but in the playoffs...well it's subpar for a goalie is being paid 10 mill, yes I know 5.3 mill cap hit. I was the one who commented and said he would bring it to another level in round 3, well I was wrong. I just wish I never saw his 2007 performance, I would never expect it of him again.

So, do you think this "new" style is limiting him to brilliance, or do you think that the 2007 Luongo performance was a flash in the pan never to return?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Luongo's "new" style

Post by ClamRussel »

Was it injuries that forced him to change? The 2007 Luongo was one of the best performances I've ever seen! Is it gear, is he too bulky? He just seems so clumsy in there. Could he go back to lighter/smaller gear? Perhaps we need to poach Francois Allaire?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I think the teams' style had a lot to do with it. Boring, trap-happy, collapse hockey tends to make goalies look better than they really are. Luongo was a beast that season, but he was pretty good this year on a more offensively oriented team.

The Canucks need to figure out their PK, and FFS stop going to the box. That's FAR more important than the play of Luongo. He was outplayed by Niemi, but the Canucks didn't help him at all. 10 PP's? Of course you lose.
Masked Man
AHL Prospect

Post by Masked Man »

I have long felt that his equipment is too bulky. He presents a bigger target but has lost some mobility, limiting the athleticism that used to be his hallmark. To me, he's noticeably slower up and down, and his stick discipline has been poor. Two goals yesterday were a direct result of poor fundamental stick placement. Peewee stuff.

I want, as you do, to see the elite goalie who can steal a game. If he can't play to that level any more it doesn't mean he sucks, but it does mean he's not worth it at the cap hit he carries.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I've long been bitching about his equipment, and getting laughed at about it. Alas. :roll:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I think the teams' style had a lot to do with it. Boring, trap-happy, collapse hockey tends to make goalies look better than they really are. Luongo was a beast that season, but he was pretty good this year on a more offensively oriented team.
I disagree with this.....and here is why:

Luongo wasn't just SUPERB in 2007. If you recall correctly, the guy was actually playing lights out hockey at the start of the 2008/2009 season......when the Canucks were NOT trapping. After a slow first month, Luongo was absolutely lights out.....before going down with the 2 month injury. If I recall correctly, Luongo had already recorded 5 shutouts and was on fire. I truly believe that if it wasn't for Luongo's injury, the Canucks would have had as many points that year as we had this season.

Unfortunately, I think the 2009 series against Chicago seriously fucked with Luongo's head....and he's never been the same since. Instead of being the 2nd coming of Patrick Roy/Martin Brodeur (which I do NOT think is an exaageration), I think he is now a current day version of Curtis Joseph in terms of his level.

Like Joseph, Luongo is a very very good goalie......but is not in that upper echelon. I believe that his stats this year were padded by an exceptional Vancouver team in front of him....somewhat similar to Dan Cloutier during the WCE days.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I actually COMPLETELY agree with Farhan.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Unfortunately, I think the 2009 series against Chicago seriously fucked with Luongo's head....and he's never been the same since. Instead of being the 2nd coming of Patrick Roy/Martin Brodeur (which I do NOT think is an exaageration), I think he is now a current day version of Curtis Joseph in terms of his level.

Like Joseph, Luongo is a very very good goalie......but is not in that upper echelon. I believe that his stats this year were padded by an exceptional Vancouver team in front of him....somewhat similar to Dan Cloutier during the WCE days.
He's .919 and 2.53 over a CAREER, which includes more games played with the Panthers than Canucks. That's a better career save percentage than Brodeur (.913) and only .31 GAA lower (2.22), on far shittier teams.

Joseph was a career 2.79 and .909. Get real.

Face it, in this town Luongo will always be a scapegoat. He's won almost everything (World Cup, World Champs, Olympic Gold etc). The guy could win a Stanley Cup here and it would be forgotten by the following December.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Island Nucklehead wrote:.....

Few things:

1) Stats aren't always indicitive of what's really going on. Case in point: Dan Cloutier.

I'm just commenting on what I see. If you truly believe that Luongo is the same goalie that he was in 2007, then that's your perogative. If you think Luongo was "absolutely brilliant" during the 2010 Olympics.....then more power to ya! ;)

If Luongo plays like he did in 2007.....or like he did at the start of the 2008/2009 season (after the first month)....and he wins a cup for us, then the fans will treat him like a God. No questions asked.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Face it, in this town Luongo will always be a scapegoat. He's won almost everything (World Cup, World Champs, Olympic Gold etc). The guy could win a Stanley Cup here and it would be forgotten by the following December.
I'm still with Farhan. He played a game in the World Cup where he had to earn his spot. He played, in my eyes, okay to poorly in the Olympics, but was granted a win. He played stupendously in the playoffs until he eventually was brought down a peg, and is basically a fragile, good not great, prone to mistake, but well situated goaltender. He's not HOF bound, and even if he does win the Cup this year, I don't think he's a great goaltender and I would trade him over Schneider at the drop of a hat in the off-season. HEAD CASE.

That said, I still think he has the 6 wins left in him :lol: I'm just tired of sweating to get them because of him.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Bah. In the end perhaps Lu isn't a God like Roy....but perhaps he's more like his hero, Grant Fuhr. Fuhr was never a superstar goalteder....and had shit stats throughout his career compared to the elite Vezina club type goalies.....HOWEVER, he usually made THE IMPORTANT save that gave his team a chance to win the game. He might allow 5 goals but wouldn't allow the 6th and the Oilers would win 7 or 8-6. Luongo WON that gold medal for Canada when he FUCKING ROBS Joe Pavelski in cold on him in OT. His detractor conveniently ignore this and instead point to the late goal by Parise that forced OT. Much similar to his OT larceny of Sharp....that gave Burrows a chance to win. Some will probably rag on him for allowing the Toews goal. It does NOT matter how many weak or soft goals he allows as long as he makes the ONE save counts and saves the game. He might not be as good as Rinne or Miller....but there certainly aren't many goalies I'd trade him for in the NHL today. The guy is a fierce competitor and if we win the Cup he'll deserve praise for all the great saves he made along the way but will be ripped by a bunch of whiny bitches who can't let go of the ones that he should have stopped. Sometimes I think the fickle fans in this city just don't deserve a Cup and we'll find out soon enough how the Hockey Gods feel about it.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Luongo WON that gold medal for Canada when he FUCKING ROBS Joe Pavelski in cold on him in OT. His detractor conveniently ignore this and instead point to the late goal by Parise that forced OT. Much similar to his OT larceny of Sharp....that gave Burrows a chance to win
A frikkin Men!!

Put it to rest!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

ClamRussel wrote:He might not be as good as Rinne or Miller....
Sorry to take this out of context Clam, comments not directed at you but....

What have either of these guys won?

Seriously.

I agree with much of the analysis of Luongo's game here but please someone tell me a goalie in the NHL today who is head and shoulders above him. I just don't see it. No Roy, no Hasek, no Brodeur in today's game.

Just wait 5 years when both Miller and Rinne have won nothing.

We're so keen to heap praise on these other star goalies who haven't proven themselves either.

I think Luongo missed a big opportunity on Friday night to finally steal us a game but I'm just tired of hearing about how great these other goalies are who haven't proven shit.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Seems Clam has about the same opinion of his talent as I have, you just think he ultimately gets it done, I just seem to think he seems to let one slip past any time it gets tense. Now, sure he makes great stops, but he lets in cheesy goals when the going gets tough. I'm not saying he won't win us a cup, and no I didn't think he was great or even good at the Olympics, but ultimately good enough.

If the choice came down to Luongo or Schneider going forward, easily Schneider. But Lou is on a life time deal, which is why I was being cheeky about trading him.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

rockalt wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:He might not be as good as Rinne or Miller....
Sorry to take this out of context Clam, comments not directed at you but....

What have either of these guys won?

Seriously.
...and like I said, "might be". ...great point rockalt, ultimately the grass is always greener on the other side. Those are 2 goalies who I think are currently more technically sound although perhaps I'm thinking of Miller from last year. Even this year, look who is in the final 4. Niemi has been up & down like a roller coaster, Thomas blew a sound 3 goal lead in game 4 while Roloson got pulled for the 2nd time in this series. Every goalie has pros & cons for sure, there may be a few goalies I'd trade Luongo for but not many. Rinne for sure.
the toucan kid wrote:If the choice came down to Luongo or Schneider going forward, easily Schneider. But Lou is on a life time deal, which is why I was being cheeky about trading him.
You'd have probably also have taken a rookie Steve Mason over Luongo as well (some thought he'd make Team Canada over Lu) and look where that would have gotten you. There's a huge difference between receiving spot duty as a backup and carrying the load. Schneider hasn't proven anything yet, and while he may ultimately be a better choice, he did choke a bit in his game 6 start in Chicago. Teams don't have the book yet on Cory but they will eventually when he becomes relevant.