Atlanta to Winnipeg

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Atlanta to Winnipeg

Post by Cornuck »

Looks like with Phoenix staying put for another year, Atlanta is likely moving north.

LINK

Atlanta businessmen must be smart, and know that it's not a hockey town - and never has been. So finding a buyer who wants to keep the team there seems unlikely.

This will also lead to a shuffling of the divisions, with Winnipeg ending up in the NW.
2021 - Playoff Bound
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Atlanta to Winnipeg?

Post by nucklehead_88 »

hmmm....welll my dream of the team being called the Jets probably wont happen. But it's good for the country and the league regardless.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Puck »

Four Canadian teams in one division sucks. Does Detroit move back into the East and Minnesota go to the Central? I suppose that makes a lot more sense.

While we have developed a bit of a rivalry with Minny, it's hardly geographically relevant. Mind you... Winnipeg is almost 2000km from Vancouver. In some ways it's too bad that Phoenix can't make a go of it. There are hardly any teams west of Thunder Bay. Winnipeg is about the middle of the continent and it's further east than Dallas.

One could argue that Vancouver should be in the Pacific Division...
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Puck wrote: One could argue that Vancouver should be in the Pacific Division...

QUIET MAN!

I'd muuuuuuch rather be playing Edmonton Calgary, and Colorado than play San Jose, L.A., and Dallas
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Puck »

Name ideas:

Winnipeg Threshers ;)
Winnipeg Flood (not trying to be insensitive)
Winnipeg Lakers... just kidding, but take a look a map of Manitoba. Minnesota, the so-called "Land-o-Lakes" looks positively parched compared to Manitoba.

But, seriously, why not Jets? Falcons and Moose (assuming an AHL departure) also sound good to me.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Puck wrote:Name ideas:

Winnipeg Threshers ;)
:D - it would get my vote!
2021 - Playoff Bound
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If the team moved to W'Peg, I would use a provincial branding plan. Try and capitalize like the Riders and Lions...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

Puck wrote:Four Canadian teams in one division sucks. Does Detroit move back into the East and Minnesota go to the Central? I suppose that makes a lot more sense.

One could argue that Vancouver should be in the Pacific Division...
I would guess Nashville moves to the South West to replace Atlanta. And yeah, I'd like to see us in the Pacific Division.

New Divisions would look like the following, with Dallas shifting to the Central to fill in Nashville's spot.

Canucks
SJ
LA
Anaheim
Phoenix (for another year)

Calgary
Edmonton
Colorado
Winnipeg
Minny

Detroit
Chicago
St Louis
Columbus
Dallas
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Wow - looks official : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2029179/
An agreement to sell the National Hockey League’s Atlanta Thrashers to a Winnipeg group which plans to relocate the franchise to the Manitoba capital is done.

Sources confirmed tonight that preparations are being made for an announcement Tuesday, confirming the sale and transfer of the Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns and operates the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League and the MTS Centre arena, which would become the NHL team’s new home.
Congratulations Winnipeg! Don't lose the team this time! ;)
2021 - Playoff Bound
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cornuck wrote:Wow - looks official : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2029179/
An agreement to sell the National Hockey League’s Atlanta Thrashers to a Winnipeg group which plans to relocate the franchise to the Manitoba capital is done.

Sources confirmed tonight that preparations are being made for an announcement Tuesday, confirming the sale and transfer of the Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns and operates the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League and the MTS Centre arena, which would become the NHL team’s new home.
Congratulations Winnipeg! Don't lose the team this time! ;)
Atlanta did twice :?

That is awesome for fans there and might help the Canucks with their farm team moving closer and another weak team in the West...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Looks like the deal is done, and it just needs a rubber stamp from the Board.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=564247

As much as I think that hockey in Atlanta wasn't going to work, I find it odd that the league fought so hard to keep the 'Yotes in Phoenix, yet let the Thrashers move without a fight. But hey - another Canadian team, and the Canucks will start to see their old friend Butfuglyin more often.

Congratulation to all the Winnipeg fans on the board.
2021 - Playoff Bound
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

Cornuck wrote:Looks like the deal is done, and it just needs a rubber stamp from the Board.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=564247

As much as I think that hockey in Atlanta wasn't going to work, I find it odd that the league fought so hard to keep the 'Yotes in Phoenix, yet let the Thrashers move without a fight. But hey - another Canadian team, and the Canucks will start to see their old friend Butfuglyin more often.

Congratulation to all the Winnipeg fans on the board.

Did they announce the name yet???
Manitoba Skeeters
Winnipeg Flood
Winnipeg Forks (Stick a Fork in them, their done)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Atlanta to Winnipeg

Post by Linden Is God »

No word on team names yet, but I've heard it will remain the Manitoba Moose. Makes sense, Thompson/Thomsen/Thomson (I've seen it spelled all these ways so I have no idea which one is right) has put a lot into the brand the Moose. Why not keep it up?

As for realignment, I've heard that the league will not realign this season and use the expiring CBA to shake things up. Winnipeg will remain in the Southeast for the 2011-2012 season. Rumours have been swirling that the league is looking at ALL and ANY possibilities for divisions/conferences. Even so that they would look at 3, 10 team divisions. Realignment has me a little excited.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Linden Is God wrote:Even so that they would look at 3, 10 team divisions. Realignment has me a little excited.
Oh no! If they re-align the divisions, the Canucks will have a losing record! :roll:
2021 - Playoff Bound
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

Waddell's not moving to the peg:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367495

Probably best to get someone fresh anyway

As far as the name goes,it looks as if Jets is by and far the most popular, I like the Winnipeg Thrashers too