Should Cory start?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:54 am

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by Arbour »

the toucan kid wrote:As for Schneider, I think it is about as likely as a reasonable post on this message board the day after a loss, but I would say that because of the contract status, even if you do go to him, win or lose, it's Lou in the next game.
One would expect that the series is as you say Lou's to win or lose. Where it might get interesting is if there is another blowout in Chicago Sunday and Luongo is pulled again. While neither loss can be solely attributed to the play of Luongo, during the last two games he seemed to get rattled once Chicago scored and continued to apply pressure. Of course it certainly didn't help matters much that the rest of the team followed suit, and the Sedin's decided their Stanley Cup aspirations were fulfilled by game three, so there was no need to show up for games four and five.
User avatar
rockalt
MVP
MVP
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:47 pm
Location: London

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by rockalt »

the toucan kid wrote:I'm actually more with Clam on this. We had a winning lineup and we changed it for no good reason. That third line was MUCH better with Hodgson and Raymond, had speed and chances. With Kesler being engulfed in matchup work, this team isn't very skilled offensively and having a good third line creating chances is much more valuable than Raffi Torres.

As for Schneider, I think it is about as likely as a reasonable post on this message board the day after a loss, but I would say that because of the contract status, even if you do go to him, win or lose, it's Lou in the next game.
Fair enough Toucan. In my defense, I have about a 7 hour delay watching games, so was fuming when posting this morning (as I'm sure you all were last night).

It's frustrating because Luongo had been stellar in this series thus far but his team really collapsed in front of him the last two games. The big problem I had with him last game was the weak opening goal on Hossa. Other than that, I don't think you can blame him for any of the goals but it obviously set the tone for the evening. If he makes that save, I'm not so sure we see the team unravel like they did.

Yes I go with Luongo the next game but like others have mentioned, I'm a little concerned about a possible injury. It seems a bit odd that the floodgates opened pretty much right after he looked to be in pain. Until that point, he had stymied the Blackhawks the whole series (with the exception of game 2). I would just hate to see him playing through pain because if he really is injured, then it's not for the good of the team. I imagine he's not that selfish, so I guess he's good to go.

I'm very concerned about the team in front of him though. I don't understand why our defense is playing so poorly. It made absolutely no sense to bench Ballard. Not sure what Vigneault's problem is with him.

And back to my intended initial point, Vigneault should keep Cody in the lineup. That third line looks way more cohesive with a natural centre - far more offensive pop and I've actually been impressed with Cody thus far. Obviously he hasn't put up the numbers but at least he's getting the chances and sustaining some pressure in the Hawks end.

I just don't think I could bare another lame effort like this. The Canucks are a deeper more well rounded team. They should not have lost in such embarrassing fashion. It's obviously a mental thing because they have refrained from playing their game. They play like they have all season and the Hawks are done but if they start reverting to a passive approach like they have of late... well we all know what's coming.
User avatar
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Maple Ridge B.C.

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Yes. Purely because I believe Luongo hurt himself near the end of the first of game one.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by dr.dork »

Puck wrote:Torres' hit on Seabrook and the lack of a suspension on the play (I don't care whether they were right, or not) may end up being the worst turning point in our 40 year history.
That isn't the turning point in my opinion. The turning point is when we had them on the ropes after tying it up in game 4. At the end of the first, we had the crowd out of it, our foot on their throats and we let them up off the mat. Never a good idea. We took the second period of that game off and haven't been able to recover since.
Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by Fred »

Why carry a guy like Schneider if you're not going to give the start when the club needs him. The team has worked hard this season and we're going to waste it because no one wants to hurt Luo's feeling.
cheers
User avatar
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by kelowna kanuck »

i think they definitely will start lu, but would totally agree with taking torres out of the lineup and starting oreskovich. as already pointed out, take the lightening rod out, put the lineup back to the same guys that won the first 3. oreskovich is very fast and was skating well..
more cap space!
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by ClamRussel »

Puck wrote: I don't think you can start Cory because it's a complete admission of desperation/fear.
Fixed.

Thats just it. If you go to Schneider for game 6 you pretty much have ended Lu's time here so you create a huge mess. Going back to Lu in game 7 would be a disaster and what if Cory loses 6? If Lu fails in Chicago you have to consider Cory in 7 to shake things up but then what? Its Lu's unless he has a complete meltdown. His history w/ game 6s against Chi doesn't bode well.

Hodgson has looked great, Lapierre is not suited to 3rd line minutes. Cody will just keep getting better, he's so close. He never should have been pulled out. He's gotten better with each shift, the big picture has to be considered here. Hell, Chicago is kicking the shit out of us with a rookie in NET for cripes sakes. Having a rookie on our 3rd line should not be a problem.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by Fred »

What's plan "B" if Luongo goes in and gets lit up again in game 6 ....then what do you do, throw in the towel and give him the last game too and look for yet another blow out. Or try to save face and start Schneider in the 7th game. To me you start Schneider in game 6 if he excels ( which is a possibility ) you give the Hawks the finger and start him in game 7 if however he's no better than Luongo you come back with Luongo in the last final game after he's had time to watch a game
cheers
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by ClamRussel »

Well I'd agree w/ that on paper Fred but these are real people w/ egos here. Strategically that would be the way to go for sure. Schneider shakes things up and we move on....or....if he loses then Lu is rested up and extra couple days and maybe comes back refreshed. However, we're dealing w/ a bonafide no.1 goalie here who probably won't take to well to that. That leaves the chance that if Cory fails we come back to Lu who is bent out of shape over it and not feeling like he is trusted. Its a moot argument anyways as AV has declared Lu the starter in 6.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by ClamRussel »

Biggest coaching error of the series? This game could be a legacy maker/breaker for BOTH our coach and starting goalie imo.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... story.html
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
the toucan kid
CC Legend
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 am

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by the toucan kid »

AV has a boss you guys, and the boss has Luongo inextricably tied to this organization for the foreseeable future. Just sayin'
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by dr.dork »

ClamRussel wrote:Biggest coaching error of the series? This game could be a legacy maker/breaker for BOTH our coach and starting goalie imo.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... story.html
You gotta dance with the one that brung ya. Unless you don't want to, I suppose.

Luongo has sucked, for the simple reason that 10 goals in 40 shots is the definition of suckitude, and that doesn't matter if you micro-analyze every goal and decide each of those 10 were unstoppable. Your job is to stop the puck. When you don't, you're days are numbered. Even though there is the issue of his great season, there is the short term "what have you done for us lately" ?

But the problem is what do we do if Schneider is lit up ? Then what ? Go back to Luongo after the coach has already went with Schneider ? That doesn't make any sense, mainly because we have two kicks at the can here. So AV (quite reasonably) is obviously going with Luongo, and if we get blown out again, game 7 will be handed over to Schneider, for better or worse.

So Luongo gets his last kick at the can in game 6, and if he falls on his face it is up to Schneider to win it in game 7.

And these two losses are certainly not all Luongo's fault, but he can't let that first goal in. That opened the floodgates.
Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by Fred »

ClamRussel wrote:Biggest coaching error of the series? This game could be a legacy maker/breaker for BOTH our coach and starting goalie imo.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... story.html
So Wiles and I are in agreement. Think further if Luongo sucks in the last 2 game what do you do in the summer. There no doubt this is the big call for AV if they loose so does he but Luongo is here for a long long time unless he requests a trade
cheers
User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by Arachnid »

dr.dork wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Biggest coaching error of the series? This game could be a legacy maker/breaker for BOTH our coach and starting goalie imo.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... story.html
You gotta dance with the one that brung ya. Unless you don't want to, I suppose.

Luongo has sucked, for the simple reason that 10 goals in 40 shots is the definition of suckitude, and that doesn't matter if you micro-analyze every goal and decide each of those 10 were unstoppable. Your job is to stop the puck. When you don't, you're days are numbered. Even though there is the issue of his great season, there is the short term "what have you done for us lately" ?

But the problem is what do we do if Schneider is lit up ? Then what ? Go back to Luongo after the coach has already went with Schneider ? That doesn't make any sense, mainly because we have two kicks at the can here. So AV (quite reasonably) is obviously going with Luongo, and if we get blown out again, game 7 will be handed over to Schneider, for better or worse.

So Luongo gets his last kick at the can in game 6, and if he falls on his face it is up to Schneider to win it in game 7.

And these two losses are certainly not all Luongo's fault, but he can't let that first goal in. That opened the floodgates.
But's the thing, we do not start Cory because Luo sucks...the team in front of him sucks. The defence and the offence. Shake them up. That's usually why you replace a goalie in a blow out. No difference here. If Schneider loses, Roberto has one last chance to redeem himself. A smart coach would do that. Screw the longtime future of this franchise, seems to me AV is loyal beyond reasonable (Hodgson's play has shown him up a little).

All this fracking talent and an idiot to ru(i)n it.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
User avatar
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by Tiger »

Kind of simple really.. Boss is Gilles.. who wrote a contract with Luongo that will cost Aquilini about 100 million dollars..
Money talks..AV has to listen = Luongo plays .. Soft wrister to let in first goal or not.. Schneider can be traded and Canucks win the $$ battle .. maybe no Stanley .. but Rogers is full house without it anyway.. ITS A BUSINESS FOLKS adn on this one I am sure the Boss is calling the shot .
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Post Reply