Should Cory start?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

volsungr
CC Veteran

Should Cory start?

Post by volsungr »

This is just a question, but should Cory start since this is the third year the hawks are taking over the playoffs?
The team will always say the right things to the public, but they have to be thinking inside what is going on?

Just a question
Tom
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Re: Should Cory start?

Post by Cookie La Rue »

That's what i'm thinking too. I would let him...

Not that Luongo is really bad but somehow these retards are thinking they can screw him all over again.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Luongo will be back in. He may be on a short leash but he'll be back in. Most of the goals in the last 2 games were not his fault. The team in front of him has sucked.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Don't see why not, but the team 10 mililon reasons why Luongo will start.

I'm not blaming Luongo for these last 2 games, but starting Cory wouldn't hurt and it might stir things up a little.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yup, I'd go with Schnieds, even if u think it wasn't Louie's fault the past couple games, u gotta change things up a bit. I'd take Coho out and put Oreskovich back in too and move Lappiere to centre on the 3rd and Higgins to centre 4th.

2)MayRay-Kesler-Samuellson
3)Torres-Lappierre-Hansen
4)Glass-Higgins-Oreskovich
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

How about this for an idea, we go back to a WINNING lineup. Take Cody out, are you nuts? His line w/ Raymond & Hansen was by far our best line tonight.

I say pull Tores out, he's useless, paranoid, gone soft, ineffective and is a lightning rod. Now I see why Buffalo benched him in the playoffs last year. Pull Rome out & put Ballard back as well. Yes to Oreskovich!

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Samuelsson
Raymond Hodgson Hansen
Glass Lapierre Oreskovich

Edler Ehrhoff
Hamhuis Bieksa
Salo Ballard

Now THAT lineup should never have been tinkered w/ in the first place, it was a winning lineup and we were up two doughnut. It was the Torres hit that woke Chicago up. Back in '94 Quinn wouldn't mess w/ a winning lineup and it got him pretty far. When they were losing thats when he shook things up. Time for a shakeup.

Sounds like Lu has already been confirmed for Sunday but I agree he should be on a short leash (shades of Cloutier starting to surface...)
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
lifer
CC Veteran

Post by lifer »

Yes, start Cory.

Sorry, Loungo but you let in 10 goals in forty shots in two straight games in the playoffs and you sit on the bench.

To hell with the 'superstar goalie' crap. 'Bouce back game' garbage, and 'forget the last game' ka ka, Start Cory. Cory wins game 6, start Cory the first game in the second round. Goalie wins, goalie plays the next game. It's that simple for me. Every playoff year we hope for the best with Luongo and it just ain't happening. If we're out in the first or second round then trade him, I don't care, good bye, we want the Stanley Cup, not the President's Trophy.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I'd take out Coho. I don't believe in playing rookies during the playoffs, especially if he has less than a dozen games in the NHL; only if the guy is a Lemieux, Ovechkin or Crosby. Anyways, Coho is miscast on the 3rd line anyways, we need a physical guy who can check on the 3rd line, Lappierre fits that role much better than Coho. If Coho is really that good, then bench higgins and play Coho on wing with kesler. I have no idea what higgy brings to the team right now.

Rome for Ballard? I'll agree with u there. Even though I like Romeo and not a big fan of Balltard, u probably gotta put in Balltard cuz we technically got him for this time of the year (considering the players we gave up for him and what we pay him).

And yeah, I'd keep Torres in. I love his physical play. As CBC said, I think the fear of another suspension got to his head a bit. He has to keep going out there hard and play his game. If he gets suspended, then so be it. I think he should hit Duncan Keith any chance he gets. :D

ClamRussel wrote:How about this for an idea, we go back to a WINNING lineup. Take Cody out, are you nuts? His line w/ Raymond & Hansen was by far our best line tonight.

I say pull Tores out, he's useless, paranoid, gone soft, ineffective and is a lightning rod. Now I see why Buffalo benched him in the playoffs last year. Pull Rome out & put Ballard back as well. Yes to Oreskovich!
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Quick question as I've been fast forwarding through the last two games, but wasn't Ballard the only Canucks defenceman to be an even from game 4? If so, why would he be the the guy to get taken out of the lineup after a blowout like that? Seriously makes no sense.

It's so frustrating being a fan of this team. We get an all-world goalie who comes in and dominates his first playoffs. He's seemingly invincible until the elimination game of the '09 playoffs where he has an unprecedented meltdown. He has his worst season the following year and continues his lacklustre performance in the playoffs. Finally he has things figured out and is lights out and on the verge of finally closing the door on the team that started this whole mess. And what happens? Well it all miraculously comes back again... seriously watch how good Lou was in the 1st period of game 4. What the fuck is happening with this fucking team?

I'm sick of the disappearing acts. Kesler is the prototypical playoff warrior with a monster performance on the highest stage. Where is that guy? We gripe about the Sedins, and rightfully so, but it's Kesler that this team will need more from if they are going to go anywhere. It's Kesler who needs to step it up and take control of this series. He's the exact type of player you win with.

Sorry for the frustration/sky is falling post, but I just saw the game (can't watch live given the time difference). I'm sure my sentiments echo those of all fans upon watching that garbage yet again.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I'm actually more with Clam on this. We had a winning lineup and we changed it for no good reason. That third line was MUCH better with Hodgson and Raymond, had speed and chances. With Kesler being engulfed in matchup work, this team isn't very skilled offensively and having a good third line creating chances is much more valuable than Raffi Torres.

As for Schneider, I think it is about as likely as a reasonable post on this message board the day after a loss, but I would say that because of the contract status, even if you do go to him, win or lose, it's Lou in the next game.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

AV has already said that Luongo will start on Sunday. I agree with him. If the team shits the bed again, then fuck Lou and put Cory in for game 7 in a desperation move.
What happens if you start Cory on Sunday and we get blown out again? No backup plan whatsoever because you already panicked and dumped your #1 goalie.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

I think Luongo is injured and playing through it, but that's just me...

What happened to the rest of the team?

I'm with Clam...sit Torres, he's been nothing but a distraction since his return. Oreskovich has been very good. Although, why not keep Cody in...positive happenings on the ice is a good thing. I like him up here with Raymond and Hansen.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

No, Cory should not start unless Luongo is injured, which is what I'm suspecting. He looked like he's not good with high shots and you have to wonder that final save in the first period of game 4 ruined his shoulder or arm. But AV said Luongo will start so there's no point in discussing. If you were to start Schneider, you would send the wrong message that goaltending was the biggest problem in the losses and things would have been fine with a different goalie.

Ballard was one of the most consistent defenders and best D in game 4 and he was scratched. AV certainly has an inexplicable preference for Rome. Rome was overmatched against the better forwards from Chicago. But the biggest concern was the play of the top guys. Edler, especially. I know he just came back from his surgery, so I wonder why the coach would give him the important minutes. Maybe because rest of the D group other than Ballard and maybe Salo played no better either? Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Bieksa all had trouble handling the Chicago forwards AND THE PUCK. How could they be so good at moving the puck in games 1 to 3 be so terrible in the most recent 5 periods of hockey?

Then there were the forwards. The Sedins looked to be so slow that it felt like we were watching the pre-lockout version of them. Henrik may be hurt and that would spell trouble because Daniel cannot play well without Henrik. Where is the Henrik that led the team out of a hole against LA last year? I don't care if Kesler scores much but he has to do the job Manny does and so far he's not doing it well enough. (OK, the D sucked so there was only so much he could do when a point shot went in because of a screen and/or tip). The third line was the best line last night and the coach would be crazy to break it up on Sunday. Go back to the same lineup as game one, coach, and make sure you point out all the mistakes that have happened and tell your players how to adjust. You are not doing your job if you just say "play the right way". You have to tailor your strategy to your opponent in the playoffs.
Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Puck »

Torres' hit on Seabrook and the lack of a suspension on the play (I don't care whether they were right, or not) may end up being the worst turning point in our 40 year history. It's like the Hawks had a nervous little flame going for motivation until that set of events poured a can of gasoline on it. I don't think you can start Cody because it's a complete admission of desperation/fear.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Puck wrote:I don't think you can start Cody because it's a complete admission of desperation/fear.
At least until game 7, when we WILL be very desperate and scared.
Last edited by woodhog on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.