Colin Campbell controversy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Colin Campbell controversy

Post by Puck »

jchockey wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
I get a direct message from @TEAM1040 saying:(word for word)

"Because he's covered the NHL since 1972 and has seen more of the game than you or any of our hosts have."
The thing about Twitter is that it really exposes how bad and snooty the media can be. They're all stuck up.
Or maybe it exposes Twitter for the ridiculous platform that it is? If the reply were not so restricted in length perhaps there might have been a little more sensitivity in it?. If you look at that response objectively it's really not that insulting. Twitter is probably the ultimate quote-taken-out-of-context generator.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I think the quality of the media is a reflection of the fanbase in Vancouver... (ducks)

I do mean that but I do get your point. I never listened to Pratt much when living in Vancouver but now I listen to him almost every day through the team 1040 podcast to get my Canucks fix. It's pretty apparent that both he and Taylor (though Pratt in particular), dismiss the opinions of fans/amateur bloggers, etc. pretty unfairly. I think it's quite representative of the arrogance of the media today when it comes to the blogging community (though can you blame them? Their jobs are jeopardized by the rise of the amateur).

At the same time, I completely understand Pratt and Taylor's point. The reality is that while there are quality bloggers and amateur writers, they are the minority. We can bemoan the media as much as we want, but in the end, there's a reason why they have risen to prominence. And yes, I know not every member of the media is all that great, and several are annoying, but by and large they provide better insight and frankly, are considerably more entertaining than amateurs. Personally, I can't stand Damien Cox. I think he's an arrogant smug prick but he's good at what he does. Same goes with Pratt (to a lesser extent). He's a total goof and bullheadish but he's a character. The fact is he's been in the game for so long, he knows what he's doing. He certainly might not provide the most insightful commentary but he's pretty entertaining. When push comes to shove, I'd rather listen to the pros than amateurs, in spite of how annoying or arrogant some of them can be. And besides when I want to interact with other fans who know what they're talking about, I come here!

Though let's be honest, for all the informed fans that exist, there are about 10 times as many idiots/bandwagoners. Just think how many people you know in your social network that claim to be avid Canucks fans but display little knowledge of the team or game? The number's been growing and frankly they make us, as fans, look bad!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rockalt wrote:I think it's quite representative of the arrogance of the media today when it comes to the blogging community (though can you blame them? Their jobs are jeopardized by the rise of the amateur).
I think that since the media can have their jobs jeopardized by amateurs says a lot about the media (and in many more fields than just hockey).
rockalt wrote:We can bemoan the media as much as we want, but in the end, there's a reason why they have risen to prominence.
The media haven't risen to prominence - they've had a 200 year head start on bloggers - The media has fallen greatly to the point where their trust level is on par with the government's. The hockey media is side with Campbell because (a) they missed it and don't want to be upstaged and (b) they know that they can't piss off NHL HQ.

But back to the story - I think it shows a general level of incompetence more than a conspiracy (and I love a good conspiracy). The ref's job is tough enough (even more so with the new take on the rules) - that having someone second guess them is only going to hinder their jobs more.

In Campbell's case, he has a conflict of interest on any game that his son is involved in - he can't help that. But the league has to realize what could happen should his kid come up for suspensions. What will dad do?

This is similar to what Clam said - you have an ex-King who loves the LA franchise overseeing goal replays. He's also in a conflict of interest and league should know that.

This whole controversy is just another case of the league not thinking ahead and removing potential conflicts of interest. In Campbell's case, the league should have announced that someone else will review all suspensions, complaints, etc in any game that Campbell's son is involved in. I don't think that Campbell has shown any prejudice towards or against the Canucks or the other teams he played for. But when you have a player and former executive of a team judging goals - they need to remove that problem before it happens.

In the end, the emails are stupid - and standard human error. We've all sent emails that have come back to haunt us - it's just Campbell's turn to own up to them.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cornuck wrote:
rockalt wrote:I think it's quite representative of the arrogance of the media today when it comes to the blogging community (though can you blame them? Their jobs are jeopardized by the rise of the amateur).
I think that since the media can have their jobs jeopardized by amateurs says a lot about the media (and in many more fields than just hockey).
rockalt wrote:We can bemoan the media as much as we want, but in the end, there's a reason why they have risen to prominence.
The media haven't risen to prominence - they've had a 200 year head start on bloggers - The media has fallen greatly to the point where their trust level is on par with the government's. The hockey media is side with Campbell because (a) they missed it and don't want to be upstaged and (b) they know that they can't piss off NHL HQ.

But back to the story - I think it shows a general level of incompetence more than a conspiracy (and I love a good conspiracy). The ref's job is tough enough (even more so with the new take on the rules) - that having someone second guess them is only going to hinder their jobs more.

In Campbell's case, he has a conflict of interest on any game that his son is involved in - he can't help that. But the league has to realize what could happen should his kid come up for suspensions. What will dad do?

This is similar to what Clam said - you have an ex-King who loves the LA franchise overseeing goal replays. He's also in a conflict of interest and league should know that.

This whole controversy is just another case of the league not thinking ahead and removing potential conflicts of interest. In Campbell's case, the league should have announced that someone else will review all suspensions, complaints, etc in any game that Campbell's son is involved in. I don't think that Campbell has shown any prejudice towards or against the Canucks or the other teams he played for. But when you have a player and former executive of a team judging goals - they need to remove that problem before it happens.

In the end, the emails are stupid - and standard human error. We've all sent emails that have come back to haunt us - it's just Campbell's turn to own up to them.
I have learned more and find out more on Canuck hockey boards in 10 years than I have reading newspapers. The egos of the writers or sportscasters is unbelievable, most who have never played the game think they are bigger than it. I respect athletes come journalists or sportscasters but the other way around they are just fanboys with gucci jocks. Most media is bullshit and as you say good corporate ass wipers. On the hockey boards you get inside information from people in the loop. My brother still wonders how the hell I scoop the media all the time on Canuck transactions. The answer is right here. I know sports media, athletes and even management will check message boards sometimes. Bloggers may be the in between of the media and fan based message boards but I still don't trust them that much. They can be attention whores as well, with unreliable rumours and such.

The Campbell affair a case in point. Do we really care?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Cornuck wrote: In Campbell's case, he has a conflict of interest on any game that his son is involved in - he can't help that. But the league has to realize what could happen should his kid come up for suspensions. What will dad do?
He isn't involved (officially) in any disciplinary action in any games his son is involved in. This is why these emails are a little disturbing, because he is interfering whereas he shouldn't be involved (at all). His excuse is he is just acting as a hockey dad. And that is pretty lame.

As to the mainstream media not really following up on this story (either now or previously) that is probably because it likely doesn't lead anywhere. Campbell showed bad judgement, he appears to be a bit of an ass, and he is a bit biased when it comes to his son (surprise surprise). The story likely has little in the way of staying power.
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

Tony Gallagher is to hockey knowledge what Ernest Angley was to Christianity.
The Leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Ridleyfan wrote:Tony Gallagher is to hockey knowledge what Ernest Angley was to Christianity.
:rofl:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

did anyone see the HockeyCentral interview of Campbell the other night? most self involved prick ive ever seen....not only is he convinced he did nothing wrong, he thinks hes doing the best job anyone has ever done at any job ever.....ever.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

did anyone see the HockeyCentral interview of Campbell the other night? most self involved prick ive ever seen....not only is he convinced he did nothing wrong, he thinks hes doing the best job anyone has ever done at any job ever.....ever.
I had entirely the opposite impression.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

the toucan kid wrote:
I had entirely the opposite impression.

we agree to disagree then, he wouldnt even appologize for the emails concerning his son.....like just say sorry, even if you dont mean it
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

He did a couple of radio interviews where he says he'll call Savard, not to apologise, but to "explain" what happened. His excuse is that a couple of years ago how was anyone to know that their emails could be read by others or used against them. :|

So there ya go, he's sorry....sorry he got caught. Much like a lot of people when they get the spotlight put on their questionable activities.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

It's time for an upheaval in the NHL front office. I'm tired of seeing the Bettman regime embarrass this league over and over again.

Unfortunately for them it doesn't even involve them in personal indescretions, it has everything to do with league business, which for the NHL is worse.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde