Who looks better now?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Who looks better now?

Post by Arbour »

Gillis has pretty much said the the same thing about Hodgson as Clam, they want him playing a lot of minutes given the fact that over the last 18 months he really hasn't been able to do so : "He's playing a lot of minutes, playing in every situation and we want him to stay there and continue to do that and get stronger and quicker." The Province. As nuckle_head88 pointed out working Hodgson into the line up may also raise cap concerns since the Canucks have around $100,000 LTI cap space for replacement players, which doesn't generate much of a per diem. With Schaeffer waived ($600,000) and Tambellini returning ($500,000) the Canucks start chipping away at the LTI exception and get closer to the league upper limit, perhaps in anticipation of Salo's eventual return? Edit: Just found an old article on Salo written in September suggesting the playoffs may be the target date for Salo, so he's certainly not a consideration at this point.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Arbour wrote: Canucks start chipping away at the LTI exception and get closer to the league upper limit, perhaps in anticipation of Salo's eventual return? Edit: Just found an old article on Salo written in September suggesting the playoffs may be the target date for Salo, so he's certainly not a consideration at this point.
Perhaps he will be a consideration in the near future. From CDC game preview today :
Defenseman Sami Salo (torn Achilles tendon) has been making better-than-expected progress and could be back by mid-December.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Thanks for the info woodhog. There could be some interesting times come December and Salo's potential return becomes imminent.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Arbour wrote:Thanks for the info woodhog. There could be some interesting times come December and Salo's potential return becomes imminent.
It wouldn't shock me to see Salo spend a few weeks with the Moose on a conditioning assignment. If that's the case it should buy us some more time to figure things out.

Either way, I would be very careful about trading away a guy like Bieksa just because Salo is termed "healthy". We all know who the better d-man is, but the thought of him playing 10 games and going down again scares the shit out of me. Then again, given our current scoring woes up front, there might be an ability for MG to package some players together in return for an impact player up front.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

ClamRussel wrote:
Fred wrote:Tambellini on his way up he`s out scoring Hodgson. He has 5 goals in 7 games, Hodgson 8 goals in 17 games. Mind you Tambellini is 26.
Not a fair statement....Hodgson has 8 goals in what his last 10 games or so? He was scoreless after the first 7 or 8...
If anything Hodgson is outscoring Tambi or just as hot but they don't want Hodgson playing on the 4th line and want to keep him at center playing big minutes.

oh knock off the Hodgson love. The radio guys from Manitoba even said that Tambi has been their best player so far on the Team1040 the other day. i mean Hodgson is a hell of a great player, and i cant wait to see him up on the team, but Tambi is the better option and beter for the cap.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

oh knock off the Hodgson love. The radio guys from Manitoba even said that Tambi has been their best player so far on the Team1040 the other day. i mean Hodgson is a hell of a great player, and i cant wait to see him up on the team, but Tambi is the better option and beter for the cap.
No one was saying otherwise. It's just that Fred was trying to take a cheap swipe at Hodgson again - I suspect Cody didn't sign an autograph for Fred or something - and the reality is there's nothing wrong with the way he is playing at all, irrespective of how well Tambi is doing. Of course nothing will ever make Fred happy except Morrison perhaps winging with the Twins and wearing the C for us. I wonder if there's a framed signed photo of BMo placed somewhat prominently on Fred's mantle at his chateau... :lol:
Either way, I would be very careful about trading away a guy like Bieksa just because Salo is termed "healthy". We all know who the better d-man is, but the thought of him playing 10 games and going down again scares the shit out of me. Then again, given our current scoring woes up front, there might be an ability for MG to package some players together in return for an impact player up front.
Have to take the gamble, getting something out of Salo could be the sort of thing that puts us over the top in the second half. Bieksa is really just doing nothing anyway. Except taking bad shots whenever he gets the puck that is...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

nucklehead_88 wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Fred wrote:Tambellini on his way up he`s out scoring Hodgson. He has 5 goals in 7 games, Hodgson 8 goals in 17 games. Mind you Tambellini is 26.
Not a fair statement....Hodgson has 8 goals in what his last 10 games or so? He was scoreless after the first 7 or 8...
If anything Hodgson is outscoring Tambi or just as hot but they don't want Hodgson playing on the 4th line and want to keep him at center playing big minutes.
...bit of an overreaction much? I was merely pointing out Fred's flawed statistical example & why Gillis probably chose which player to recall, I didn't say anything negative about Tambellini's performance.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Just a little tidbit here to continue this Tambellini discussion....

did you know the Canucks are 6-0-1 with Tambi in the line-up?

Just sayin'
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

No one was saying otherwise. It's just that Fred was trying to take a cheap swipe at Hodgson again - I suspect Cody didn't sign an autograph for Fred or something - and the reality is there's nothing wrong with the way he is playing at all, irrespective of how well Tambi is doing. Of course nothing will ever make Fred happy except Morrison perhaps winging with the Twins and wearing the C for us. I wonder if there's a framed signed photo of BMo placed somewhat prominently on Fred's mantle at his chateau...
After years of ridiculing the Sedins I'm not that impressed with your hockey knowledge. You mix fantasy with fact. I like Hodgson some thing you constantly over look despite my continues affirmations. I suggested that Scheafer should have been let go, guess what they've now done that and I thought Morriosn had won a place on the team by merit...well he's in the NHL, Hodgson and Schearfer are not. as I predicated, and further, on a bad team. He has 15 pts which would put him third highest guy on the Nucks roster. Hard for you to 'fess up I guiess but every thing i stated has come about.

Hodgson will get his chnace but I don't think for a while and in fact wonder where he could fit in, Tambellini has some thing that he doesn't maturity and 187 games in the NHL already. I was at the game last night..and most night come to that some thing you don't seem to have access to and believe me watching the game ,live, and watching a telescopic game on TV is entirely different.

I like what I see from Tambellini, his wrist shots are accurate and very very quick off the stick. Some thing not many others on the team have. He played in the dirty areas threw a hit and took a hit. He was awre of his defensive side of the game and took short shifts, which I like. Maybe he'll make it in Vcr if he does he'll be a great addition when you think we got him free. Just like Bill Sweatt I think he's a good FA signing. MG should be complimented IMO. Hodgson will be with the club at some time but right now he's making up for a year away from the game and gaining or should I say regaining confidence Tell me this why would any one want to ridicule Hodgson as you suggest ?
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Fred wrote:He has 15 pts which would put him third highest guy on the Nucks roster. Hard for you to 'fess up I guiess but every thing i stated has come about.

Hodgson will get his chnace but I don't think for a while and in fact wonder where he could fit in
Funny. That's the same thing the entire hockey world wondered about BMO.

He didn't fit on the Canucks roster.

We can beat to death that Samuelsson has started the season piss-poor. That Raymond is playing with an injury. Hindsight is always 20-20. Heading into the season NOBODY could say Morrison was a better option than Samuelsson or Raymond in the top six.

It really doesn't matter how he's doing in Calgary. What matters (to the Canucks) is that he didn't have a place on the roster, wouldn't accept a two-way deal, and the team wanted to be harder to play against (hence he doesn't fit on the fourth line). This is getting really tired.

Tambo looked good last night. He was putting himself in the right situations and reading plays well. Good for him. If he can keep this play up, it can only help the Canucks. We have to like the fact that we have someone like Tambellini that we can call up, so as not to rush Hodgson into NHL spot duty.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

After years of ridiculing the Sedins I'm not that impressed with your hockey knowledge
Clearly you didn't understand my stance on the Twins... if you did your only leverage would be to say that you predicted they would turn out to be 100 points players. If you didn't, and no one seemed to be at the time, then I don't have any problems with my argument with the Twins: if they had remained 70 point guys where Henrik got 11 goals, this team could never contend. The debate was simply that, can the team win with the Twins as the players they were then, no one ever said they believed the Twins were on the verge of being Hart Trophy winners. I'm not sure if I can be accused of spouting fantasy (I have been wrong though certainly), but I'd certainly be willing to accuse you of oversimplifying my arguments.

Frankly, Henrik is going to have to start shooting some because we do need more goals than just Daniel getting 50 if Hank only gets 10... but maybe if Burrows gets going it will take that loss off the books a bit.

As for why I came to post. Tambi looked much better than Sammy and Sammy fits better with the cycle and shoot game of the third line anyway. I like the looks of the third line. Does look like Raymond is ailing though, and Kesler seems to be most productive on the PP. Going to have to find something on that second line, and hopefully Tambi has the game for it.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I never would have predicted 100 pts season for the Sedins but i did know they were some thing special as did MG. They're fair value in todays market. And unlike teams like TB, the Wings and other they are not signed to long long term deals. Luongo is starting to look like too long a deal but I suppose some you win some you loose, the problem is to go all the way ALL THE PIECES have to fall into place. Hodgson will come along but where he will fit should be interesting and will he take over from the Sedins and Kesler...I'm not sure, I haven't seen him enough to judge. The Sedins ar here for the next 3 years and Kesler the next 5 years. Samuelsson is gone after next season and Raymond is a FA in 12-13 season. That's a lot of waiting to be considered the top player for a guy that is thought of in that context
cheers
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Either way, I would be very careful about trading away a guy like Bieksa just because Salo is termed "healthy". We all know who the better d-man is, but the thought of him playing 10 games and going down again scares the shit out of me. Then again, given our current scoring woes up front, there might be an ability for MG to package some players together in return for an impact player up front.
Unfortunately with Salo it's almost become when he will get injured and not if. The difficulty Gillis faces is upon Salo's return he is in a Chicago situation where he has to shed salary and can take little if any dollars back, so the gamble with Salo's continued health becomes all the more high stakes.

On the Tambellini front, the kid's got a nice release, here's hoping he continues to play like he did last night.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I never would have predicted 100 pts season for the Sedins but i did know they were some thing special as did MG. They're fair value in todays market.
They're actually good value if we get what we got (or at least almost) yearly from them. No stepping around that. My argument is that you need elite talent to win, and the Twins producing like they do now are certainly that.
That's a lot of waiting to be considered the top player for a guy that is thought of in that context
Don't know that he's a top guy, but Kesler can certainly play the wing, and in a couple years I don't see why the second line center role isn't up for Hodgson to take. It will only make us stronger.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »