Who looks better now?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: Who looks better now?

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:BMo will not keep up that pace and he's given more of a scoring role in Calgary, while Peter Who is playing on the bottom 6. Also, Shaef missed a year of hockey, so it'll take a little longer for him to get his game back, but it looks like he's coming around a bit as he scored a big goal the other day. I like Bolduc as well and he's better built for the 4th line than Bmo. Unless Hank, Kes or Malhot goes down with a long term injury, letting BMo walk was the right move.
I completely agree with this. My job here is done. 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:BMo will not keep up that pace and he's given more of a scoring role in Calgary, while Peter Who is playing on the bottom 6. Also, Shaef missed a year of hockey, so it'll take a little longer for him to get his game back, but it looks like he's coming around a bit as he scored a big goal the other day. I like Bolduc as well and he's better built for the 4th line than Bmo. Unless Hank, Kes or Malhot goes down with a long term injury, letting BMo walk was the right move.
I completely agree with this. My job here is done. 8-)
Ya promise? :P
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

ClamRussel wrote:
dr.dork wrote: (but it doesn't make a lot of sense to be comparing him to Schaefer).
Actually it does, not as players but rather just considering the team was deciding on which of them to go w/ and chose Peter over Brendan. Looking at their contributions makes sense to me even if they are different styles of players.
Ignoring the cap situation Gillis would probably have taken Mo. Schaefer has a cap friendly contract (two-way).
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Heart-warming signingOctober 27, 2010

Brendan Morrison, right, celebrates with teammate Niklas Hagman.Brendan Morrison is loving his time in Calgary and the Flames must be happy they took a shot on him.

I guess I really didn't know much about Brendan Morrison after all.

I mean I knew he more than once shot down the Flames in meaningful games I covered. I knew he stood the test of time and was a great pro and good on and off the ice.

What I didn't know was his heart size was that much bigger than most.

Morrison, after jumping from team to team over the past three years, was more or less cast aside by the Canucks this training camp. I suppose with the Canucks lofty aspirations, where in the world would he fit in?

Yet a team beset with injuries, a Flame team that seemed to have more questions than answers and was stone's throw away from Pitt Meadows, B.C. and a one-way deal worth $725,000 (chump change in the NHL), was a fit for Morrison.

Aren't the Flames fortunate? Morrison simply leads the team in scoring after nine games with nine points, and is arguably its most valuable skater. Who would have thought it?

He's also found time to counsel the likes of Michael Backlund, a rookie who just keeps improving, maybe because of Morrison himself. He may be the team's best penalty killer and its best faceoff guy. And did I mention he plays right wing like he did it all his life?

Morrison is sincerely enjoying his time in Calgary, and it's a safe bet the Flames are damned happy about it. I have no idea how long it will last... but Brendan Morrison's heart and dedication is rubbing off on a lot of people.
Heck nothing there for us :lol:
cheers
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Shaefs in the coaches doghouse. played a whole 13 seconds in the thrid period of he Avs game, then when AV was asked about his goal, he said, got lucky.....right place right time.....thats about it.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Heck nothing there for us :lol:
Hey, I've got nothing against the guy, except having to watch him play so much after the lockout. Before, I quite enjoyed his game, and he gave his all in an over-matched role. Simply put, Calgary had a hole we don't and because they had to go the BMO route to fill it, they likely are not going to make the playoffs, and at best will squeak in. We're lucky to NOT NEED Morrison as a top 2 center, and if we did, well we suck. He's had a good lucrative career, but he's going to be Doug Weight from here on out if he keeps playing, or gets to keep playing. The guy bad teams use to fill a hole that their young players can't handle in a standby year, and a I guy who has enough class to do the job, be a good sport and citizen and then move along.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

2 light years ahead of Scheafer AND Hodgson at this time in his career. Man I'd just like Hodgson to show us some thing...any thing, Schroeder is making him look bad. He's been playing now for what....a month and a half how long is he/fans going to put up with "Well he hasn't played for a while" look around neither have the other players
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Fred wrote:2 light years ahead of Scheafer AND Hodgson at this time in his career. Man I'd just like Hodgson to show us some thing...any thing, Schroeder is making him look bad. He's been playing now for what....a month and a half how long is he/fans going to put up with "Well he hasn't played for a while" look around neither have the other players
Patience runs thin around these parts eh? He's got 17 shots, which is second on the Moose. Schroeder has only 4 shots in 6 games. I'm sure Hodgson will figure out the pro game soon enough, let's just let the kid(s) develop!

Would you trade Hodgson for BMO? Didn't think so...

While looking at the Moose: How about Kevin Connauton? Leads the team in scoring, 3G 2A 5Pts +2 in 6GP. Not bad. Eddie Lack is sporting a 1.96 GAA and .931% early in the season.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Hey Fred your head must be very warm.

It ought to be considering it's spent the last few weeks stuffed up your a$$
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

LotusBlossom wrote:There is no way in hell he is going to unseat: Hank, Kesler and Malholtra for a centering job. Fact.
Except for the fact he wasn't really going to be playing center here anyways. I saw him as being a winger who could take draws if need be plus on the PK.....a guy who did actually play RW early in his career in Jersey and is back playing some wing now. If we had a full lineup he'd certainly be a better 4th line center than Schaefer who to my knowledge has never played in the middle before. He could have filled in w/ the Twins while waiting for Burrows to return etc. I don't think anyone anticipated seeing him as a center on the top 3 lines. If anything the threat was would he take Hodgson or Hansen's spot on the 3rd line wing w/ Malhotra & Torres. I don't think that would be a bad line at all, good 2-way combo of grit & speed.

Torres-Malhotra-Morrison

Nothing wrong w/ that for depth imo. If you're going for the cup THIS year then you go for it. I bet anything he'd have signed here for less than he did in Calgary.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ClamRussel wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:There is no way in hell he is going to unseat: Hank, Kesler and Malholtra for a centering job. Fact.
Except for the fact he wasn't really going to be playing center here anyways. I saw him as being a winger who could take draws if need be plus on the PK.....a guy who did actually play RW early in his career in Jersey and is back playing some wing now. If we had a full lineup he'd certainly be a better 4th line center than Schaefer who to my knowledge has never played in the middle before. He could have filled in w/ the Twins while waiting for Burrows to return etc. I don't think anyone anticipated seeing him as a center on the top 3 lines. If anything the threat was would he take Hodgson or Hansen's spot on the 3rd line wing w/ Malhotra & Torres. I don't think that would be a bad line at all, good 2-way combo of grit & speed.

Torres-Malhotra-Morrison

Nothing wrong w/ that for depth imo. If you're going for the cup THIS year then you go for it. I bet anything he'd have signed here for less than he did in Calgary.
Bmo -2 pointless in a high scorer with the Avs tonight, not that I'm counting :mex:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Arachnid wrote: Bmo -2 pointless in a high scorer with the Avs tonight, not that I'm counting :mex:
If you want to bring +/- into it, Mo was leading Calgary in that department before tonight and he has generally been a plus player. The exception was the WCE era when he was saddled with Naslund and Bertuzzi who refused to play defensively (at all) and got most of their points on the powerplay. He was +20-something last year.

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread I'll admit Morrison currently looks better than his competition in Vancouver which was probably Schaefer, Hodgson, Tambellini and maybe Bolduc (?). Morrison could have fit in the top 6 in case of injury, and yes there is NO WAY he can fill that role as well as the players we have. But that isn't what a fill in does. A fill in is someone with (hopefully) a manageable contract that can help the team "tread water" when the star is injured. Do you want Morrison filling in for Hank/Kesler/Malholtra for a 10 game stretch or Bolduc/Schaefer ? A player like Morrison could make a big difference in divisional/conference placement if one of the top 6 went down.

The other thing is that Morrison didn't really light it up in the preseason and by the end of the year the flexibility of Schaefer's contract might win out. If you're on the bubble (which Mo was) and you're competing with someone who is on or who will sign a 2-way the you really need to make a case for yourself.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

how quick some forget...

Morrison beat Schearfer for the last spot. outplayed him in preseason and everything.

In fact, he did it so well, that the Canucks offered him the same contract they offered Schaefer first. Morrison turned it down. Morrison and his agent decided that there were better opprotunities elsewhere, not us. The canucks were constrained by salary cap issues at the time and could afford a single 2 way contract. They offered that contract to Morrison. BMo said no. Then they offered it to Schaefer. Schaef said yes. its kinda that simple.

All the speculation is fine, but people need to keep that speculation grounded in reality with timing and facts.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

In fact, he did it so well, that the Canucks offered him the same contract they offered Schaefer first. Morrison turned it down. Morrison and his agent decided that there were better opprotunities elsewhere, not us. The canucks were constrained by salary cap issues at the time and could afford a single 2 way contract. They offered that contract to Morrison. BMo said no. Then they offered it to Schaefer. Schaef said yes. its kinda that simple.
Actually hadn't hurt that. Makes perfect sense of course.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

the toucan kid wrote:
Actually hadn't hurt that. Makes perfect sense of course.
Except using 20/20 hindsight ( and a little intelligence ) MG put himself in cap trouble by not trading Bieksa for a prospect or a bag of pucks.. That 3.7 mill salary could have gone to signing BMo.. plus Schaeffer ( why would anyone sign that floater I dunno ) and leave an extra 2 million on the table for a decent dman ( say the guy from Pt Hardy with the big stick ). Nope MCP your reasoning is accurate but Gillis blew it ! No BMo and we are stuck with a lousy dman ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice