Burrows updates

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Burrows updates

Post by Cornuck » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:55 am

Here's the latest I've heard:
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault expects Burrows to be cleared for contact within the next week. Early indications are Burrows will be ready to return Nov. 2 against the Oilers, which is the first game he's eligible to be activated from the long-term injured list.
Post any updates in this thread.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Robert
MVP
MVP

Re: Burrows updates

Post by Robert » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:45 pm

I wonder how the deck gets shuffled? My guess is Peter is the odd one out.

nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:26 pm

Robert wrote:I wonder how the deck gets shuffled? My guess is Peter is the odd one out.

ill drive him to the airport myself
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:54 pm

I'll pay for your gas...

Man, what are they even doing with him right now? You can't tell me that one of our promising forwards couldn't benefit from a little NHL experience. They aren't THAT green. And hell, we're getting nothing out of the guy right now, so they don't have any production to supersede.

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:43 pm

the toucan kid wrote:
I'll pay for your gas...

Man, what are they even doing with him right now? You can't tell me that one of our promising forwards couldn't benefit from a little NHL experience. They aren't THAT green. And hell, we're getting nothing out of the guy right now, so they don't have any production to supersede.
Better they play 15+ minutes a night in the AHL to start the season and earn their promotions rather than play them <10 minutes a night and then demote them.

Schaefer is an AHLer. Watching him play sometimes makes me cringe.

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:07 pm

i'll pump the gas that toucan pays for.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:19 am

Better they play 15+ minutes a night in the AHL to start the season and earn their promotions rather than play them <10 minutes a night and then demote them.
Not if they're better for the team. And frankly, there might not be a reason to demote them. I like Sammy on the third line, so there might just be room on the second.

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:43 am

the toucan kid wrote:
Not if they're better for the team. And frankly, there might not be a reason to demote them. I like Sammy on the third line, so there might just be room on the second.
Neither Schroeder nor Hodgson performed well enough during camp to warrant a top six spot. The Canucks have the luxury of already having a very competitive team and rushing rookies into the lineup isn't at the top of the priority list. As much as I think Schaefer's a plug and Desbiens too slow I like management's decision.

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:02 am

Neither Schroeder nor Hodgson performed well enough during camp to warrant a top six spot. The Canucks have the luxury of already having a very competitive team and rushing rookies into the lineup isn't at the top of the priority list. As much as I think Schaefer's a plug and Desbiens too slow I like management's decision.
Again, this is if there's a spot to be had. And there just might be, at which point they're going to be filling in for x because we don't have anyone. I'm just not sure about this Kesler/Raymond/Samuellson line.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:12 am

the toucan kid wrote:

I'm just not sure about this Kesler/Raymond/Samuellson line.
You mean the one that combined for 180 points last year ? :?

The 2nd line is the least of this team's worries.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 pm

You mean the one that combined for 180 points last year ? :?
Yeah the one with the guy that suddenly put up 30 plus goals after never coming close over a long NHL career? The guy who had a freakish hot streak in the second half, where at times prior looked lifeless? Yeah, I think we're short a part there, whereas Samuellson would become a great 7th forward if someone were to step up or be brought in.

I hope I'm wrong, and maybe if Burrows does get back we'll find some regularity, but it doesn't look too good and Raymond, while I bet a goal scorer in the 30 range, is a streaky guy.
The 2nd line is the least of this team's worries.
Well the health of the D and Luongo are pretty much nonstarters: if they aren't there - we don't win. A more practicable augmentation can be found on the second line because they're might be something we can do about it. We're up shit's creak any way and every way if the D men drop like flies, probably including not getting anything out of Salo this year, and Luongo is shit again.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:21 pm

the toucan kid wrote:

Yeah the one with the guy that suddenly put up 30 plus goals after never coming close over a long NHL career? The guy who had a freakish hot streak in the second half, where at times prior looked lifeless? Yeah, I think we're short a part there, whereas Samuellson would become a great 7th forward if someone were to step up or be brought in.

I hope I'm wrong, and maybe if Burrows does get back we'll find some regularity, but it doesn't look too good and Raymond, while I bet a goal scorer in the 30 range, is a streaky guy.
God you're tough to please. The Canucks 2nd line was one of, if not the most productive 2nd lines in the NHL last season. Sure, one can say all of them had career years.Two of them are improving and young while the other guy finally played in the top 6 for the 1st time in his career.

I don't think Sammy will pot 30 again but he should have no problem getting 20 - 27 goals while Raymond could hit 30- he has the ability to do it. Kesler is probably not going to get 75 points again but he should be good for 65 and he is an outstanding two way player. The 2nd line is not a concern when everyone is healthy.

When Burrows comes back next week this team will have a lot more balance.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I can't agree with the non confidence sentiments towards Sameulson. As noted this was the first time he received those kind of minutes; he came from a star studded team in Detroit. He's a quality player with some unique goal scoring talents. putting him on the third line is a waste, he needs more competent players. He's a streaky guy yes but so what. Also, if I recall correctly he started out very well at the start.

toucan, you hope your wrong.. No worries there you usually are. :D

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:01 pm

God you're tough to please. The Canucks 2nd line was one of, if not the most productive 2nd lines in the NHL last season. Sure, one can say all of them had career years.Two of them are improving and young while the other guy finally played in the top 6 for the 1st time in his career.
I concur about last year. I still don't buy Sammuellson as 30 goal threat. Prove me wrong, please.
When Burrows comes back next week this team will have a lot more balance.
If things go right with the Twins, then probably.

I just don't buy Sammy as a legit goal scorer, I guess that's my beef on this one. Hopefully he shows me wrong, but it's tough to buy a fluke season by an older player like that. I also don't think Henrik will get 30 again, but Daniel will probably make up the difference.

Must just be too much Canuck luck to believe that a season where everything went right with the offense will go right again.
toucan, you hope your wrong.. No worries there you usually are.
I don't hope I'm right when I'm bringing up a negative either you know :lol:

It's not like I didn't WANT the Twins to be great, just that I didn't see it happening. Voila they thwart everyone's forecasts and we're all pretty thrilled about it.
He's a quality player with some unique goal scoring talents.
He is a quality player. I like what he brings, but we're probably going to need more than one thirty goal scorer.

I'm quite high on this team actually, I just see what might be the one thing we can actually improve on this team mid-season, and wonder might something be done about it. We're not going to get a number one D-man or trade goalies or anything... but getting one of our prospects into the top six, or using them to upgrade? Could be done. This is the year after all, says I.