Who likes the Ballard deal now?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Who likes the Ballard deal now?

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:43 am

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/10/ ... s_grabner/
The Florida Panthers have placed forward Michael Grabner on waivers.
Suddenly the Ballard deal looks a little better for Vancouver. With Bernier being a salary dump, Grabner and a first were the major pieces of that trade. Given that Grabner couldn't stick on a weak (potentially dismal) Panthers team, does this trade signify another victory for Mike Gillis?

Howden will need a couple years before his impact will be known, but IMO as long as Ballard plays to his contract, a big win for Gillis on this one.

hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Re: Who likes the Ballard deal now?

Post by hamiltoncanucks » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:53 am

Lets pick him back up haha, that would be classic.

Hes a cheap contract and already has some chemistry with Kesler and Raymond. Cody goes to the Moose, Mo gets cut and we've got a top 6 most of us can live with until Burrows returns.

Twins- Samuelsson
Raymond- Kesler - Grabner
Torres - Malhotra - Hansen
Rypien - Bolduc - Oreskovich?

If Grabner lights up its huge for us, if not we know he can hold his own until Burrows returns, and his cap hit is cheaper than Codys. When Burrows returns ease him back in on the 3rd line and then rotate Burrows and Samuelsson between the twins and third line depending on whose hot at the time.

I know we wont pick him up (whats the waiver order in preseason?) But it would be nice

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Waivers go in reverse order from last seasons final standings.

Really can't see the Canucks picking him up. If he can't crack the Panthers... apparently he was just brutal in pre-season. He'd have to clear waivers if we sent him down too.

On top of all that, other GM's wouldn't really appreciate such a cut-throat style. Grabner was the centerpiece of the trade for them (and the first rounder), and for us to take him back for nothing would be a real kick in the nuts...

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:58 pm

On top of all that, other GM's wouldn't really appreciate such a cut-throat style. Grabner was the centerpiece of the trade for them (and the first rounder), and for us to take him back for nothing would be a real kick in the nuts...
Let's do all our deals with the Panthers...

I would actually be willing to take him back, if it could be done.

Frankly, unloading Bernier was a definite plus, and aside from the first, I always liked this as a win now move.

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:02 pm

If this keeps up, the NHL will place a rule saying the Panthers can no longer trade with the Canucks.

Hell if I was the owner of the Panthers I would impose that on my GM. How many times can one team fleece another in a trade?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:46 pm

the toucan kid wrote:
Let's do all our deals with the Panthers...

I would actually be willing to take him back, if it could be done.

Frankly, unloading Bernier was a definite plus, and aside from the first, I always liked this as a win now move.

i wouldnt. were full to the brim with forwards and theres way better options.. if he cant make the panthers, he CANNOT make it here
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson

hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Just because he didnt make the panthers doesnt mean he cant do it here.

Its not like he was playing with guys like Kesler and Raymond we've seen that he can do alright with them and they get weaker D being on the 2nd line and if he doesnt cut it by the time burrows shows up then put him back on waivers no biggie

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:13 pm

I could care less if he makes Florida or not, i still like the trade and would make it every day. Grabner has to play in the top 6 or he's useless because of how soft he is. He isn't anywhere near good enough to play in the top 6 here and he isn't half the player Raymond or Burrow is so he's really redundant especially with Schroeder, Rodin and Hodgson on the horizon.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:29 pm

i wouldnt. were full to the brim with forwards and theres way better options.. if he cant make the panthers, he CANNOT make it here
What type of deal is he on? We can just send him down if he doesn't crack it.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:15 pm

Never liked Grabner, too superficial, one dimensional player. Good riddens!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:49 pm

the toucan kid wrote:
What type of deal is he on? We can just send him down if he doesn't crack it.
It doesn't matter what type of deal he's on (1-way or 2-way merely refers to salary earned in the NHL vs AHL. One way makes the same regardless).

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:14 pm

It doesn't matter what type of deal he's on (1-way or 2-way merely refers to salary earned in the NHL vs AHL. One way makes the same regardless).
Hmm I'm just not sure about Sammy as a viable top six guy going forward. I guess Blob is right with our seeming surplus in the system he might not be worth looking at. Still, he was part of the plans the last time a real game was played, a training camp can't change EVERYTHING, can it?

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:58 pm

the toucan kid wrote:
Hmm I'm just not sure about Sammy as a viable top six guy going forward. I guess Blob is right with our seeming surplus in the system he might not be worth looking at. Still, he was part of the plans the last time a real game was played, a training camp can't change EVERYTHING, can it?
Absolutely not. Then again, Sammy had a career year, scored 30 goals and was a beast in the playoffs. I think as far as the near-future goes (I know you said "going forward") you have to let him prove he CAN'T handle the top-6.

Grabner could probably help us while Burrows is hurt. I think he had some chemistry with Raymond and Kesler, and was on a 20-goal, 45ish point pace season last year. Which is why I wouldn't be entirely opposed to picking him back up until Burrows is healthy (free rental!) and then risking him back on waivers.

Going forward.... I think you have to allow some room for younger, and more promising prospects in Schroeder and Hodgson to make a meaningful impact. Regardless, Grabner was (and still is) a spare part to this team. At this point Ballard has far higher value.

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:17 pm

At this point Ballard has far higher value.
No question. Yeah, you have to hope you get a respectable 20 goals from Sammy this year, and hope you don't have to eat the third year.

incompletemedia

Post by incompletemedia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:15 am

Isles claim Grabner.