Luongo Relinquishes Captaincy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo Relinquishes Captaincy

Post by DonCherry4PM » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:22 pm

I wrote the following in another forum a while ago, and haven't changed my mind:

A captain should be a leader both on and off the ice. He should be someone with a team mentality, someone exhibiting good sportsmanship and someone who contributes to the community.

I think Henrik embodies that. He signed for much less last year than he could have gotten on the open market. He and his brother have donated massive amounts to the children's hospital. He is always level headed, polite, classy and professional when speaking with the media. He was nominated for the Masterton. On the ice he is one of the most skilled players in the league. He is unselfish, creative and determined. He has shown great commitment to the game, to the team and to the city.

Kesler is also a great player with loads of determination, passion and skill. But when it comes to class, professionalism and committment to the team, he isn't anywhere close to Sedin. Rather than giving the team a discount this year, he pushed for market value - and that after running off his mouth last year (notably before the Sedins signed) about how players need to be willing to take cuts in wages in order to allow a team to contend. Before that he signed an offer sheet with Philadelphia. During the Olympics, his commetary regarding Luongo was less than stellar at best and extremely unprofessional at worst. Rather than a team-first, these instances show a me-first mentality. Other various and sundry commentaires of his may be amusing, but they tend toward a lack of discipline and sportsmanship at times. To me such examples are not indicative of a great leadership candidate, which is not to say that he won't mature and turn into that leader one day but is to say that today is not that day.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Linden Is God wrote:As for the As, I wouldn't be surprised if Hamhuis or Ballard get one.
I'll take you one further, and take this fully off the charts - if Gillis refrains from naming a Captain until a while into the season, I could see Hamhuis being Captain. He's a thoughtful, well-spoken guy who's been a winner at various levels of his career (he gets a pass for Nashville because they make something out of no budget). He's represented his team at the PA (again, I think he gets a pass for the Penney memo because Penney fooled a lot of people) which says he's more than about himself and wants to take on responsibility rather than hide in the showers when the hard questions come. He's young (so's Kesler) and new to the team, but I think he would make as good a Captain as either twin.

The twins have proven before that they can get mentally derailed off their game though they have matured. That said, a wise sergeant-major once told me that officers walk, they never run - it frightens the horses and panics the men. If either of the twins gets taken off their game mentally (as they did against Chicago last year), the rest of the team will follow. Not saying that they haven't learned from that experience, but there is precedence.

If not Hamhuis, I would pick Kesler in a heartbeat with a twin and one of Hamhuis or Samuelsson for the 'A's. Kesler may still have some maturing to do and cut down the yapping, but he's driven and I remember Trevor Linden being appointed Kesler's mentor when he broke in because management saw the leadership potential in Kesler and who better to learn from?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:55 pm

On another note, it's too bad that we haven't had Hamhuis for very long, as I really see him as superb captain material.

Edit: wrote the above prior to seeing Lancer's post - definitely agree on the Hamhuis portion.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:12 pm

Hamhuis might be the man, but he is also the new guy on the block. My vote is for Kesler all the way. Grit, effort, intensity, and always sticking up for teammates, and a long term contract. If it was a year later, Hamhuis might prove to be that guy too, but as it stands, he's a year too late getting here.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Tiger wrote:
You want our worst dman as captain... ? Canucks have there worst games when BXA is on the ice.. prefer Salo or SOB or the towel boy .. or "Fin".. Attitude plus ballz? give the C to Burrows.. Attitude plus ballz plus skill.. give it to Kesler.. Glad that Luongo gave it up..Kesler or either of the Sedins or would be just fine.
Bieksa is not a viable choice as captain, mainly because we don't even know if he will be here beyond this season. If he has a good year he is likely going to command upwards of 4 million and although i like him he is a little incosistent for that type of jack.

He is nowhere near the worst defenceman on the team and if he were it would be because the Canucks had the league's best defence. Your trolling is getting a little tired. We get it............you don't like him. to constantly cry and piss and moan about the guy is ridiculous. He has some warts, but on most teams he would be a top 4 defenceman. The guy has been injured very seriously 2 out of the last three seasons but considering you are blind with hatred it's probably diffcult for you to see that.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:50 pm

regardless of who they pick to be the team captain, there is no reason to rush to the decision. Gillis said they would waqit to see who steps up for this in training camp, and I think he is entirely correct. No reason to rush this at all.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
"Being captain in a Canadian city for a team with such passionate fans is a privilege and an experience I will always take pride in. I will continue to be a leader on this team and support my teammates the same way I always have while focusing on our ultimate goal."
This is kind of telling. To me, it sounds like he's saying "I want to be the Captain, but the media in this town is a pack of idiots and vultures and I don't need the hassle."
Agreed. All things being equal I think the right thing to do would be for mgmt to ban media from talking to Lu on game days to let him prepare and focus. That said if Lu is ok giving it up then its the right thing to do. There was no reason the Sedins, Kesler etc could have dealt w/ the media instead of Roberto.

To all you who are saying Kesler, forgetaboutit! I like Kesler alot but he's way to immature to be a captain at this point imo. Henrik is the right choice w/ Kesler wearing an A feels right. I'd also like to see Hamhuis get the other A.

Oh and a rotating captaincy is lame and just reeks of indecision and inadequacy. True leaders don't need a letter to be a leader as we'll see with Luongo. Rotating the captain is for teams in disarray (ie Canucks in '89-'90) and expansion teams (ie The Wild). No thanks, championships are won w/ one true commander in the trenches.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:18 pm

DonCherry4PM wrote:I wrote the following in another forum a while ago, and haven't changed my mind:

A captain should be a leader both on and off the ice. He should be someone with a team mentality, someone exhibiting good sportsmanship and someone who contributes to the community.

I think Henrik embodies that. He signed for much less last year than he could have gotten on the open market. He and his brother have donated massive amounts to the children's hospital. He is always level headed, polite, classy and professional when speaking with the media. He was nominated for the Masterton. On the ice he is one of the most skilled players in the league. He is unselfish, creative and determined. He has shown great commitment to the game, to the team and to the city.

Kesler is also a great player with loads of determination, passion and skill. But when it comes to class, professionalism and committment to the team, he isn't anywhere close to Sedin. Rather than giving the team a discount this year, he pushed for market value - and that after running off his mouth last year (notably before the Sedins signed) about how players need to be willing to take cuts in wages in order to allow a team to contend. Before that he signed an offer sheet with Philadelphia. During the Olympics, his commetary regarding Luongo was less than stellar at best and extremely unprofessional at worst. Rather than a team-first, these instances show a me-first mentality. Other various and sundry commentaires of his may be amusing, but they tend toward a lack of discipline and sportsmanship at times. To me such examples are not indicative of a great leadership candidate, which is not to say that he won't mature and turn into that leader one day but is to say that today is not that day.
This ^^

+1

Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Puck » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:18 am

Another +1 for DonCherry4PM's post. That's one of the best posts I've read in months.

LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by LotusBlossom » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:03 am

I'm going to say that I am going to agree with DonCherry4PM. Eloquently put and a great argument for Hank's captaincy.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:I'm going to say that I am going to agree with DonCherry4PM. Eloquently put and a great argument for Hank's captaincy.
we need online voting. I am voting for Kesler. Don't make Hank have to think too much during the game. Kesler's style needs less cranial effort.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by LotusBlossom » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Tciso wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:I'm going to say that I am going to agree with DonCherry4PM. Eloquently put and a great argument for Hank's captaincy.
we need online voting. I am voting for Kesler. Don't make Hank have to think too much during the game. Kesler's style needs less cranial effort.
I have no problem with either Kesler or Hank being named captain. In fact, neither is a 'bad' choice.

The Captain should represent the team, for the team. Not for us 'fans'. What helps motivate that locker room is more important that the big fat baby soother to pacify the fans.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde

woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:03 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:
The Captain should represent the team, for the team. Not for us 'fans'. What helps motivate that locker room is more important that the big fat baby soother to pacify the fans.
A player doesn't need to wear a letter on his sweater to be able to motivate.
I think that the fans generally put much more importance on the "C" than it deserves. The main reason for the letters is for conversing with the officials during the games.
I'm pretty sure Luongo isn't going to change his demeanor in the room just because he gave up the "C".
I'm also pretty sure that the players won't respect or listen to another player just because they are wearing a letter.

Maybe the players should vote for the Captain and Assistants. That way the most respected players will get the letters.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 pm

woodhog wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
A player doesn't need to wear a letter on his sweater to be able to motivate.
I think that the fans generally put much more importance on the "C" than it deserves. The main reason for the letters is for conversing with the officials during the games.
I'm pretty sure Luongo isn't going to change his demeanor in the room just because he gave up the "C".
I'm also pretty sure that the players won't respect or listen to another player just because they are wearing a letter.

Maybe the players should vote for the Captain and Assistants. That way the most respected players will get the letters.
Which is precisely why Linden never should have given up his C to Messier NOR should Messier have accepted it.

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Lotus Blossom said:
Yeah the man who wears the "C" should be able to motivate his teammates. It's a badge of leadership... but it doesn't make those that don't have any sort of leadership brand, not 'leaders'. Anyone who wears the letters should be deserving of wearing, not by us, but by his teammates and his coaches.
Agree and its a hard call really. neither Linden or Smyl were award winners but both were highly respected tough centers .
Maybe its a case of " branding " the team? Sad that Willie Mitchell is gone. he had the right ingredients.. good work ethic, skill and toughness.. Maybe the call will go to Kesler for the way he plays ? Always in your face hockey? a long shot for the job would be Burrows . The Sedins have the respect of the players but do they have the toughness ? Mentally tough for sure but not that Physical.. Seems we lost 2 contenders with Ohlund and Mitchell both gone. Wonder who can fill their shoes?

Guessing game now. but we don't know whats going on in the dressing room game to game.. and thats where it counts. It should never be a fan decision..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice