Hodgson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Re: Hodgson

Post by levelheaded »

Hodgson's getting one last look as the 3rd line centre in tonight's game, but I get the feeling the writing's already on the wall for him. Time in the minors isn't a bad thing at all. Look at Getzlaf and Perry, they spent a year in the AHL together, developed chemistry and very quickly turned into the players we see today. If Hodgson and Schroeder could develop half the chemistry and talent that those two have I'd be more than happy.

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Hodgson

Post by dr.dork »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Yeah, missing almost a year of development with a serious back injury never usually slows anyone down . :? The kid isn't even in game shape ffs. I think he would do well to start the season in Winnipeg and if he is playing well - bring him up for a long look. It seems as though you are ready to write him off.
There are too many things conspiring against him. His play, injury history and even the cap. He will play most of the year in Winnipeg and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

We need to have patience with him. People wrote of the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows and those are currently our 4 top forwards. Hom many people were pissed because Kesler would never amount to more than a grinding 3rd line center and the Sedins would never be more than a bad 2/3rds of a second line ? It wasn't very long ago (less than a year) that people were arguing that the Sedins were not even legitimate first liners, and Burrows would never exceed his goals that he attained in 08/09. Lots of tasty crow consumed around here (and I speak from experience on that one).

He isn't ready yet. Will he ever be ? Probably, but he needs to learn to walk before he can run. Winnipeg is the best place for that.

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Hodgson

Post by Arachnid »

dr.dork wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Yeah, missing almost a year of development with a serious back injury never usually slows anyone down . :? The kid isn't even in game shape ffs. I think he would do well to start the season in Winnipeg and if he is playing well - bring him up for a long look. It seems as though you are ready to write him off.
There are too many things conspiring against him. His play, injury history and even the cap. He will play most of the year in Winnipeg and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

We need to have patience with him. People wrote of the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows and those are currently our 4 top forwards. Hom many people were pissed because Kesler would never amount to more than a grinding 3rd line center and the Sedins would never be more than a bad 2/3rds of a second line ? It wasn't very long ago (less than a year) that people were arguing that the Sedins were not even legitimate first liners, and Burrows would never exceed his goals that he attained in 08/09. Lots of tasty crow consumed around here (and I speak from experience on that one).

He isn't ready yet. Will he ever be ? Probably, but he needs to learn to walk before he can run. Winnipeg is the best place for that.
How come everyone keeps saying that? All these armchair general managers lol
The only one to make that call is coach & GM. We are not making that call. We have no influence. All of us proponents of Hodgson are saying is give the kid a break, give him a shot, leave him alone. Let him have the final say. Been a while, lost a year, yeah. So what? Some guys walk into the next level like it was nothing. Kid has a lot of positives. Waaaaay more mature and smarter than most his age. I am impressed with him when speaks.
You can't compare him to any of those guys above. He is either ready or not. Then give him training camp, pre-season and 10 games. Then judge him. But do not, DO NOT make that call based on your own prejudices or preconceived ideas (or the dipshit media)
Let Cody decide. Not you, crow eater :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Hodgson

Post by Fred »

So which Dip shits do u listen to :D

So far AV has not been screaming from the mountain tops about his belief in CH. He's used him sparingly. The problem for CH is he's an unknown commodity, no track record at this level.. So what u see in 9 min of ice mainly on the 3-4th lines is all you can judge him on. He was given the chnace with top end players and failed to impress.

Let's just hope after some time in Mooseville he is still an asset
cheers

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Hodgson

Post by Arachnid »

Fred wrote:So which Dip shits do u listen to :D

So far AV has not been screaming from the mountain tops about his belief in CH. He's used him sparingly. The problem for CH is he's an unknown commodity, no track record at this level.. So what u see in 9 min of ice mainly on the 3-4th lines is all you can judge him on. He was given the chnace with top end players and failed to impress.

Let's just hope after some time in Mooseville he is still an asset
Wow, I'm not listening to you, that's for sure and sure as hell hope the coaching staff doesn't either. 8-)

Seems to me there is still rampant anti-Hodgson centrism going on around here after last years debacle.
By no means is he been given a free pass. He had a years setback but now is his chance to get back on track. Cut the guy some slack before you throw him under a Moose bus.
Stamkos was given slack his first year and it paid off.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
the toucan kid
CC Legend
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 am

Re: Hodgson

Post by the toucan kid »

So far AV has not been screaming from the mountain tops about his belief in CH. He's used him sparingly. The problem for CH is he's an unknown commodity, no track record at this level.. So what u see in 9 min of ice mainly on the 3-4th lines is all you can judge him on. He was given the chnace with top end players and failed to impress.
How is that worse than having a known CRAPPY product in Morrison. You don't even sound like you've watched the games (I certainly can't blame you), I've been watching enough to watch the so called Morrison impressiveness, and it's nothing but a guy handling a top six style game in a half-speed game. Don't think exhibition games are more about getting the mix right than winning, well then you've not been paying attention all these years. Is that an excuse, I think it's a reason.

Morrison has nothing to offer this club. It's as simple as that. He's Pettinger.

I'm not opposed to putting Hodgson in the minors if there was a clearly superior option on the squad, a guy who can really help us in the role he'd be require for... but there isn't, so why not use him?

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Hodgson

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote: I'm not opposed to putting Hodgson in the minors if there was a clearly superior option on the squad, a guy who can really help us in the role he'd be require for... but there isn't, so why not use him?
Probably because Hodgson will get more ice time in Winnipeg. Probably because he can hide from the media and dorks on message boards. Probably because you need to earn the spot. Probably because if you give it to him based on something other than his play what is he going to do when you eventually have to send him down ? Probably because there are clearly superior options (insert any name here including Pettinger is you want).

There is a long history in Vancouver (see the whole 70s and 80s decade, for example) of throwing young kids to the wolves way too early. The team was so crappy they probably were better but throwing them into the fray didn't help them and in fact it probably made it worse.

He can go play in Winnipeg, get more ice time than he will here, and his game will be better for it.

I don't know what others are saying, but it is better for his development to be in Winnipeg. If it is close, put him in Winnipeg. If you don't care about his development, then throw him to the wolves.

Morrison or whoever else makes the team is a stopgap. If Hodgson does well in Winnipeg he will be up before you know it and if he does well on the Canucks then Morrison or whoever else is the "fill in" will be gone before you know it. Hodgson and Schroeder are in the long term plans, Morrison isn't. But to get to that long term plan doesn't necessarily mean putting in Hodgson in front or Morrison (or whoever).

Oh yeah. And I am pretty sure Gillis reads all this shit and I am pretty sure he takes what I say really really really really really seriously. In fact he was probably waiting for my take on it before finalizing his (my) decision. You should see a decision shortly.

User avatar
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Maple Ridge B.C.

Re: Hodgson

Post by nucklehead_88 »

dr.dork wrote:
the toucan kid wrote: I'm not opposed to putting Hodgson in the minors if there was a clearly superior option on the squad, a guy who can really help us in the role he'd be require for... but there isn't, so why not use him?
Probably because Hodgson will get more ice time in Winnipeg. Probably because he can hide from the media and dorks on message boards. Probably because you need to earn the spot. Probably because if you give it to him based on something other than his play what is he going to do when you eventually have to send him down ? Probably because there are clearly superior options (insert any name here including Pettinger is you want).

There is a long history in Vancouver (see the whole 70s and 80s decade, for example) of throwing young kids to the wolves way too early. The team was so crappy they probably were better but throwing them into the fray didn't help them and in fact it probably made it worse.

He can go play in Winnipeg, get more ice time than he will here, and his game will be better for it.


nucklehead_88 agrees with this

I don't know what others are saying, but it is better for his development to be in Winnipeg. If it is close, put him in Winnipeg. If you don't care about his development, then throw him to the wolves.

Morrison or whoever else makes the team is a stopgap. If Hodgson does well in Winnipeg he will be up before you know it and if he does well on the Canucks then Morrison or whoever else is the "fill in" will be gone before you know it. Hodgson and Schroeder are in the long term plans, Morrison isn't. But to get to that long term plan doesn't necessarily mean putting in Hodgson in front or Morrison (or whoever).

Oh yeah. And I am pretty sure Gillis reads all this shit and I am pretty sure he takes what I say really really really really really seriously. In fact he was probably waiting for my take on it before finalizing his (my) decision. You should see a decision shortly.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Hodgson

Post by Fred »

I suppose the next step will be for poster blaming AV if CH is not ready to play. Folks get over it he'll play when he shows he's up for the gig
cheers

Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: North Delta

Re: Hodgson

Post by Joe Rockhead »

The kid needs some time in the minors. We can all see that.

He lost a full year of development. We all know that.

Therefore he has some making upo to do. Simple.
Don Cherry for P.M.

User avatar
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:31 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Hodgson

Post by woodhog »

In the final preseason contest, Cody Hodgson played 11:42 minutes, was a -1, had 0 pts., 2 shots and wasn't very impressive IMO.
It seemed to me that Peter Schaefer was getting a closer look with 13:59 played, was a +1, had 1 pt. and 2 shots.
Only Glass, Bolduc and Desbiens played less than Cody.
Hodgson did play 4 games in 6 nights with only a few full-on practices under his belt. Maybe that was why he wasn't played very much. He didn't seem to take advantage of his chance to show that he deserves a spot on the team.
I think that Morrison, Schaefer, Bolduc, Glass and even Tambellini looked better than Cody in the preseason.
He is definately not ready yet .... will he be ready if he gets a 10 game look in the regular season?
What if he's still not ready after 9 games and is sent to Winnipeg? Chances are that in the meantime, someone will pick up Mo (Flames?) and maybe Schaefer too.
I think we should send Cody down now and sign Morrison for under $600K. His experience, leadership and versatility will be a nice luxury to have. Meanwhile Cody can play 20 minutes a game in the 'Peg and EARN his promotion to the big club.

User avatar
the toucan kid
CC Legend
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 am

Re: Hodgson

Post by the toucan kid »

Oh yeah. And I am pretty sure Gillis reads all this shit and I am pretty sure he takes what I say really really really really really seriously. In fact he was probably waiting for my take on it before finalizing his (my) decision. You should see a decision shortly.
I always knew it to be true Doc.

I don't really care if a bunch of spare parts out played Hodgson. I'm sure there are examples of rushing someone to the pros in the clubs 40 years, while I'm sure the opposite has been true as well. I would give him a shot to play some more games when the regular season starts, partly because I don't think he looks out of place, and partly because I'm sure the growth will be exponential. I don't see any upside to using any of the career AHLers or washed up vets in that place.

User avatar
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Hodgson

Post by Jovorock »

Yes Cody has lost so much of his game, he is no where the same player of two years ago. Playing at the Moose is the best place for him right now.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

User avatar
the toucan kid
CC Legend
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 am

Re: Hodgson

Post by the toucan kid »

Yes Cody has lost so much of his game, he is no where the same player of two years ago.
This is what I don't get... how can we tell either way?

User avatar
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Maple Ridge B.C.

Re: Hodgson

Post by nucklehead_88 »

the toucan kid wrote:
Yes Cody has lost so much of his game, he is no where the same player of two years ago.
This is what I don't get... how can we tell either way?


because we watched him play the last couplle weeks, thats how.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson

Post Reply