Hodgson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Hodgson

Post by Arachnid »

ClamRussel wrote:
nucklehead_88 wrote:
Fred wrote:You said it, a Blue Chip PROSPECT who has shown nothing this pre season to warrant a place on the roster and I'm dammed if I want him to get a roster spot because he's a blue chipper.....prospect. When he can show some of this flash and dash we have been told he has but has yet to produce, then he can get in the queue along with the other prspects. Until then i want the best and so far Morrison has out played him from most unbiased reports I've read. This is the bigs CoHo you have to prove u belong Most reports seem to think Tambo Junior has out played CoHo to

Coho has been outplayed by a bunch of different players. Tambi, and Morrison are at the top of that list. I said it the other day and I'll say it again, Hodgson needs to play in WPG. What do you think would benifit him more, 8 minutes a night here, or 20 minutes a night on the Moose? Think about it.
If he has been outplayed it certainly hasn't been by much....when you also consider the fact he hasn't really played much hockey in an entire year and was just cleared for full contact practices about a week ago he needs to be cut a little slack. What is he going to be looking like when he finds his legs & timing? I'll point out 2 examples...look at the benefit of all those patient years where the Sedins didn't deserve to make the team as rookies and year after year receiving 2nd unit PP duty when they clearly weren't ready. Not saying it will take Hodgson 6 years to find his game or anything but the point is with blue chip prospects sometimes you grin & bear it and the rewards far outweigh the negatives. My 2nd example is a player who was compared to Hodgson on draft day only had superior skating acceleration....Steve Stamkos. The guy looked lost as a rookie, had questionable coaching (ie a coach who wasn't a big fan-sound familiar?) and struggled mightily....yet by the end of the year he started to gradually turn it around only to be a co-winner of the Rocket Richard trophy in his sophomore season....tying Crosby! Now I'm not saying Hodgson will do anything remotely similar anytime soon but he doesn't have to...its perfectly reasonable for him to be taken under the wings of a few vets and maybe even be carried a bit early on...with expectations that he be more of a contributor later in the season & the playoffs. His upside far exceeds any of his competition for a roster spot. If he is sent to Manitoba w/ the direct intention of being recalled ie for conditioning then that is a different story. So far Cody hasn't wowed anyone w/ his play BUT he hasn't exactly been a liability either at +3.
Eggggsactalactalee Clamzie...plus fracking 3. Sound a lot like a Sedin trajectory. Not a defensive liability at all. Give him Pro time to develop around the best. Not the AHL. Tough shit if AV doesn't like it. If GM MG says he stays then he stays.
I have always really liked a rookie in the lineup too.

or if as my Grandmama likes to say;

'If Red Bull(shit) gives you wings then the BlackFish give you Fins!'

:look:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Hodgson

A year in the AHL didn't do Kesler, or likely Bourdon any harm. In fact Detroit do it all the time almost on principal. Schroeder with a year down there is now likely a right off playing with all those clowns down there........gimme a break........ Hodgson will likely be the better players after time in the AHL. He's shown no aptitude to play with the big boys up until now and he shouldn't be shown favoritism
cheers
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I'm with Fred on this.This is a promising looking team and whoever is playing the best should make the team whether its Peter Schaeffer or Cody Hodgson no free passes this season.
Hodgson should start in Manitoba.If things go well he could be with the canucks in Feb. or March or even if it's next year, it would still be benificial for all concerned.

Take it slow with coho
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

Keeping a guy in the NHL because of how good he WILL be doesn't make any sense and rarely helps a player's development. Columbus took that tack with Gilbert Brule and almost ruined him.
Since when did the AHL go from a logical place to hone one's skills to an indictment of skill or maturity?
Sending Hodgson to the Moose in no way will hurt his pro career. NOT sending him could destroy it. This kid is smart enough to know whether he's Canuck on merit or hype. Taking a roster spot he hasn't earned could mess with his head.
This isn't the Sun Belt. We don't need our first rounders to sell tickets.
The leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

A year in the AHL didn't do Kesler, or likely Bourdon any harm. In fact Detroit do it all the time almost on principal. Schroeder with a year down there is now likely a right off playing with all those clowns down there........gimme a break........ Hodgson will likely be the better players after time in the AHL. He's shown no aptitude to play with the big boys up until now and he shouldn't be shown favoritism
Sorry Fred I don't really understand most of this... but yes, going to the A doesn't hurt (doesn't necessairly help) and why are you saying he's shown no aptitude when he's played just fine this camp, had a great camp two years ago when healthy, and excelled in the WJs at a level which I certainly think is higher than the A. He's ready to play, just a matter of whether he can produce or not, and frankly given our choices it's not like we're bumping a producer or a good checker out of the way to put him in a spot. I say let him stick, if he can't cut it, then demote him, but the fact that Morrison might have to wait a month to get a contract (or if he goes somewhere else... whoopee) or Tambellini has to go to the minors for a while is no big deal.
Keeping a guy in the NHL because of how good he WILL be doesn't make any sense and rarely helps a player's development. Columbus took that tack with Gilbert Brule and almost ruined him.
But that's not what we're talking about, we've got a guy who can hold his own, it's just a question of whether he will be quite something right away or just normal. I'm not worried he can't take a regular shift, because he has always had a strong all around game. Yes the points may take time, and he might have to learn to take draws and deal with more minutes, but he can easily handle a wing job on lines 3-4 or even take some shifts in the top six. He won't hurt us, unlike a say Brule who was pure offense (has modified his game) and couldn't use his skills at this level.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Sorry Fred I don't really understand most of this...
maybe it should read I don't want to understand it :lol:

I think it was the last game he played in Vcr, started on the top line ended the game of the 4th line, thats lack of appitude. Athletics is a tough gig usually you get what u deserve
cheers
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Fred wrote:
Sorry Fred I don't really understand most of this...
maybe it should read I don't want to understand it :lol:

I think it was the last game he played in Vcr, started on the top line ended the game of the 4th line, thats lack of appitude. Athletics is a tough gig usually you get what u deserve
How the hell does that make any sense? The Sedin 'Sisters' were no where near the top 6 when they started and had to work their way up to 2nd and 1st lines. Cody deserves the 4th or 3rd line to prove he belongs too.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

How can anyone compare the Sedin situation with the Hodgson situation?

The Canucks sucked when they drafted the Sedins. They were barely a playoff team in their first season. That team does not compare to the current Canucks, who are considered as "Contenders".

IMO, the best player should play. In the event of a tie, go with the younger guy as there is more to invest. If Hodgson can't perform at the same level as Morrison, he should be sent down. If it's equal, go with the kid. Ultimately, Hodgson doesn't have to clear waivers, so if he lights it up in the AHL we can bring him up whenever. It doesn't work the other way around, if we want to move Morrison we have to put him on waivers (assuming he earns a contract).
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

That's hardly meaningful in an exhibition game designed to try out combos more than win a game.
IMO, the best player should play. In the event of a tie, go with the younger guy as there is more to invest. If Hodgson can't perform at the same level as Morrison, he should be sent down. If it's equal, go with the kid. Ultimately, Hodgson doesn't have to clear waivers, so if he lights it up in the AHL we can bring him up whenever. It doesn't work the other way around, if we want to move Morrison we have to put him on waivers (assuming he earns a contract).
Okay Hodgson is a better player than Morrison. Morrison is a completely limited package, but perhaps on account of having a full off-season of prep is ready to play in a low pace scrimmage (or exhibition game). Now we know, Morrison isn't so good a player any more. We know Hodgson can already play 3/4 of Morrison in said scrimmage and has big upside. Why is this even a question? What can Morrison actually give this team? He's fricken Pettinger at this point.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

That's hardly meaningful in an exhibition game designed to try out combos more than win a game.
Excuses excuses that all you ever have to offer excuses to fit yout opinion. Hodgson better not be going into exhibition games thinking he has nothing to prove or he';;be trying out again next season. He's done nothing shown nothing. Morrison has seems to still have the wheels from all local media reports and has experience coming out of his ying yang. He was good enough to centre Ovechkin last season which is some thing CoHo can only dream about.

I'm not anti CoHo I just want the best players playing and so far this pre season Morrison has out classed Hodgson, by a long mark.......no more excuses. I put this in the same category as you constantly calling out the Sedins , you'll do it until you die and the heck with the facts.

If Hodgson can just show some thing....any thing other than his performance as a junior, maybe he's gone as far as he will go....I hope not but you can never tell with a young player where he finishes his upward trend
cheers
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

For a 20 yr. old kid coming off an injury plagued year Hodgson hasn't acquitted himself badly. He has shown he is defensively responsible in the few games he has played. His skating and strength need to improve in order for him to compete at the NHL level. Give him some time in the minors where he will get plenty of ice time. I'd be more concerned if he was a 22 yr. old with a couple of AHL seasons under his belt playing at the level he is now, rather than a junior prospect who missed over fifty games last year.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:
If Hodgson can just show some thing....any thing other than his performance as a junior, maybe he's gone as far as he will go....I hope not but you can never tell with a young player where he finishes his upward trend
Yeah, missing almost a year of development with a serious back injury never usually slows anyone down . :? The kid isn't even in game shape ffs. I think he would do well to start the season in Winnipeg and if he is playing well - bring him up for a long look. It seems as though you are ready to write him off.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Assuming what you say is true Blob and likely is. I think the current team is in the position to go a long way this season and I don't want it to be a season of development. If we start thinking in terms of" well he's going to get better, needs experience....needs speed" then we are making excuses for another sub par season. Let for once start the season with our best line up and go for it. Hodgson will still be there later and it's a great sign when we like other top organizations can "develop" our players rather than throw them in and hope
cheers
hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks »

Fred wrote:Assuming what you say is true Blob and likely is. I think the current team is in the position to go a long way this season and I don't want it to be a season of development. If we start thinking in terms of" well he's going to get better, needs experience....needs speed" then we are making excuses for another sub par season. Let for once start the season with our best line up and go for it. Hodgson will still be there later and it's a great sign when we like other top organizations can "develop" our players rather than throw them in and hope
Fred, I think the point the pro Hodgson playing guys are going for is that Hodgson has been about the same level of player as Morrison and others on the bubble. So for people saying play Hodgson they dont mean play him over someone who is playing better they mean play him over someone competing at a similar level.

And yes age and upside is a factor for wanting Hodgson to play. At this point we know what Morrison is capable of but we dont know what we have in Hodgson, if in the eyes of the coaches Hodgson and Morrison are playing at a similar level than keep Cody. If Hodgson is given top 6 minutes for the first ten or twelve games (until Burrows returns) and hes not ready/isnt producing then send him down.

I dont think Hodgson getting a 10 game audition is thinking in terms of making excuses. Either he produces or he doesnt.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

hamiltoncanucks wrote: Fred, I think the point the pro Hodgson playing guys are going for is that Hodgson has been about the same level of player as Morrison and others on the bubble. So for people saying play Hodgson they dont mean play him over someone who is playing better they mean play him over someone competing at a similar level.

And yes age and upside is a factor for wanting Hodgson to play. At this point we know what Morrison is capable of but we don't know what we have in Hodgson, if in the eyes of the coaches Hodgson and Morrison are playing at a similar level than keep Cody. If Hodgson is given top 6 minutes for the first ten or twelve games (until Burrows returns) and hes not ready/isnt producing then send him down.

I don't think Hodgson getting a 10 game audition is thinking in terms of making excuses. Either he produces or he doesnt.

You know a critical part of your argument is Mo and CoHo are playing at this point of time an equal game. That's not what I'm hearing. I hear AV singing Mo ability and character and I watch AV shuffle Hodgson down the pecking order. I hear journalist stating he couldn't keep up on the Kesler line. I see his ice time showing little improvement. In fact I hear more good things about Tambellini and Shirokov than Cody baby. Now the reason might be obvious he hasn't played much in the last year but I don't want him to take the place of a guy that's ready to go now. This is the first time I've thought this....but this year is about now !!!
cheers