Hodgson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Hodgson

Post by Broda » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:06 am

ya tonight really looked like V didn't want to waste much time seeing what he could do. I don't think he fits that well on the kesler line, just cause of the lack of foot speed. When he was playing with Bolduc and Glass i figured well this little experiment is just about up... for this pre season. Figure he gets one more game and if he doesn't make some plays then he will be on a flight to winnipeg pretty quick here. He seemed to look lost at times tonight, i think some seasoning down in the minors is going to be great for him.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:26 am

nucklehead_88 wrote:he was on the 4th line by the third period. not a good sign
Pretty lame that AV demoted him in an exhibition game...just don't think the coach likes him, its personal. Nevertheless, he could certainly use time in the minors to get back on track. I doubt he plays tomorrow (4 games in 6 nights!) so he'll prob go Sat. Would be good to see him play w/ the Twins (not the fastest skaters and he is a very smart player). I really wish people would stop ragging on Hodgson's lack of "speed" ....the Twins are slow and were way worse when they first broke into the league......Luc Robitaille was drafted in the final round because he couldn't skate....being fast isn't everything, the guy is going to be a great player for us so give him some time to develop.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:12 am

meh. I wouldn't read anything into Hodgesons ice time in a single period. I think it was more to have a look at Torres on the second line as an option than anything Hodgeson did.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:22 am

meh. I wouldn't read anything into Hodgesons ice time in a single period. I think it was more to have a look at Torres on the second line as an option than anything Hodgeson did.
Agreed. And to me that might also say that they've made up their mind on Hodgson one way or the other.

Hopefully, he'll stick, but that's just me perhaps.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:39 am

the toucan kid wrote:
Agreed. And to me that might also say that they've made up their mind on Hodgson one way or the other.

Hopefully, he'll stick, but that's just me perhaps.
Agreed, nuth'n to do aboot nuth'n. Hodgson is still very much in the mix. The media and fans need to get a life. :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:13 am

I think since there is no clear player to step into the top 6 to take Burrows' place the Canucks should give Hodgson the first 10 games or so to see what he can do. Worst case scenario he needs development time with the moose. Who else do we plug into the top 6? Torres, Tambellini, Hansen? I guess Hansen or Tambellni could play with Kesler and Raymond and create some offensive because of speed. Maybe Torres with the Twins but he will miss on as many great setups as he finishes on.

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 am

hamiltoncanucks wrote:I think since there is no clear player to step into the top 6 to take Burrows' place the Canucks should give Hodgson the first 10 games or so to see what he can do. Worst case scenario he needs development time with the moose. Who else do we plug into the top 6? Torres, Tambellini, Hansen? I guess Hansen or Tambellni could play with Kesler and Raymond and create some offensive because of speed. Maybe Torres with the Twins but he will miss on as many great setups as he finishes on.
Numbers-wise, the first 10 games are just as important as the last 10, doubly so when Louie craps the bed in October.

hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:42 am

Numbers-wise, the first 10 games are just as important as the last 10, doubly so when Louie craps the bed in October.[/quote]

Obvioulsy the games are of similar importance (although you could make a case that being hot heading into the postseason is more important than starting out on a roll) My point was that since there is no clear cut player stepping up to fill in for Burrows why not give it to the player with the most potential and see if he gets his legs and can put some points up, rather than other guys who do not have the same upside.

Sure Tambellini, Torres or Hansen might rip it up playing top 6 minutes with the Twins or with Kesler and Raymond but since they havent shown more in the preseason Im saying give Hodgson the shot for 10 games rather than just one or two before reducing ice time and sending him down. AV likes to mix and match and I dont mind him shuffling Hansen, Torres or Tambellini between bottom 6 and top 6 minutes but Hodgson should be given top 6 minutes to see if hes ready/ or can gel or gain chemistry with other top 6 forwards.

Plus Burrows has to miss atleast ten games to qualify for Longterm injury so give Hodgson those games unless someone else steps up.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:52 pm

The point many seem to dismiss is this is supposed to be "the year " for the Canucks. The Sedins are 30 within 2-3 years they will be on the wrong side of the curve. I don't want to develop players now, I want to win and win big this season. I have been a patient fan for 37 years and always thought of development first and fore most.....screw it, I want results season defining results. I couldn't give a rats a$$ if Hodgson starts here or in Winterpeg. When they ice this seasons team it better be the players who can do it under all circumstance. I want to blow teams like Washington and Detroit off the map & if that means letting some youngsters spend time in the Peg so be it. This is not a day care or nursary, suck it up your time will come. But THIS season I want to be indulged !!!! :D
cheers

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:55 pm

The point many seem to dismiss is this is supposed to be "the year " for the Canucks. The Sedins are 30 within 2-3 years they will be on the wrong side of the curve. I don't want to develop players now, I want to win and win big this season. I have been a patient fan for 37 years and always thought of development first and fore most.....screw it, I want results season defining results. I couldn't give a rats a$$ if Hodgson starts here or in Winterpeg. When they ice this seasons team it better be the players who can do it under all circumstance. I want to blow teams like Washington and Detroit off the map & if that means letting some youngsters spend time in the Peg so be it. This is not a day care or nursary, suck it up your time will come. But THIS season I want to be indulged !!!
That's the right attitude and I share it, but still we're talking about bringing in a blue chip prospect in an insulated role vs. keeping Brendan bleepin' Morrison? Which makes more sense?

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:45 pm

You said it, a Blue Chip PROSPECT who has shown nothing this pre season to warrant a place on the roster and I'm dammed if I want him to get a roster spot because he's a blue chipper.....prospect. When he can show some of this flash and dash we have been told he has but has yet to produce, then he can get in the queue along with the other prspects. Until then i want the best and so far Morrison has out played him from most unbiased reports I've read. This is the bigs CoHo you have to prove u belong Most reports seem to think Tambo Junior has out played CoHo to
cheers

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:01 pm

You said it, a Blue Chip PROSPECT who has shown nothing this pre season to warrant a place on the roster and I'm dammed if I want him to get a roster spot because he's a blue chipper.....prospect. When he can show some of this flash and dash we have been told he has but has yet to produce, then he can get in the queue along with the other prspects. Until then i want the best and so far Morrison has out played him from most unbiased reports I've read. This is the bigs CoHo you have to prove u belong Most reports seem to think Tambo Junior has out played CoHo to
Potential reward far outweighs the potential negatives. At worst Cody will be slightly worse than Morrison, moderate expectations, frankly, would be that he's better given Morrison's limitations.

Frankly, it won't make a difference. This team is only not getting into the playoffs and winning their division if they get decimated by injuries. So there's really nothing to worry about and you might as well take a gamble where the worst case scenario is that the team isn't really any worse.

nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:19 pm

Fred wrote:You said it, a Blue Chip PROSPECT who has shown nothing this pre season to warrant a place on the roster and I'm dammed if I want him to get a roster spot because he's a blue chipper.....prospect. When he can show some of this flash and dash we have been told he has but has yet to produce, then he can get in the queue along with the other prspects. Until then i want the best and so far Morrison has out played him from most unbiased reports I've read. This is the bigs CoHo you have to prove u belong Most reports seem to think Tambo Junior has out played CoHo to

Coho has been outplayed by a bunch of different players. Tambi, and Morrison are at the top of that list. I said it the other day and I'll say it again, Hodgson needs to play in WPG. What do you think would benifit him more, 8 minutes a night here, or 20 minutes a night on the Moose? Think about it.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Coho has been outplayed by a bunch of different players. Tambi, and Morrison are at the top of that list. I said it the other day and I'll say it again, Hodgson needs to play in WPG. What do you think would benifit him more, 8 minutes a night here, or 20 minutes a night on the Moose? Think about it.
Definitely get him in there in the pros. Yes, if he isn't ready, then playing in the minors, but there's no substitute for getting going in the pros if you can cut it. It doesn't have to be eight minutes, there's top six or top nine minutes to be had if he plays up to it. If not send him down later on. All this talk of being outplayed is silly because you have to look at the feasible value of a player like Tambellini, fourth liner? or Morrison, brittle and soft third or fourth liner who isn't bad on the draw?

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:30 pm

nucklehead_88 wrote:
Fred wrote:You said it, a Blue Chip PROSPECT who has shown nothing this pre season to warrant a place on the roster and I'm dammed if I want him to get a roster spot because he's a blue chipper.....prospect. When he can show some of this flash and dash we have been told he has but has yet to produce, then he can get in the queue along with the other prspects. Until then i want the best and so far Morrison has out played him from most unbiased reports I've read. This is the bigs CoHo you have to prove u belong Most reports seem to think Tambo Junior has out played CoHo to

If he has been outplayed it certainly hasn't been by much....when you also consider the fact he hasn't really played much hockey in an entire year and was just cleared for full contact practices about a week ago he needs to be cut a little slack. What is he going to be looking like when he finds his legs & timing? I'll point out 2 examples...look at the benefit of all those patient years where the Sedins didn't deserve to make the team as rookies and year after year receiving 2nd unit PP duty when they clearly weren't ready. Not saying it will take Hodgson 6 years to find his game or anything but the point is with blue chip prospects sometimes you grin & bear it and the rewards far outweigh the negatives. My 2nd example is a player who was compared to Hodgson on draft day only had superior skating acceleration....Steve Stamkos. The guy looked lost as a rookie, had questionable coaching (ie a coach who wasn't a big fan-sound familiar?) and struggled mightily....yet by the end of the year he started to gradually turn it around only to be a co-winner of the Rocket Richard trophy in his sophomore season....tying Crosby! Now I'm not saying Hodgson will do anything remotely similar anytime soon but he doesn't have to...its perfectly reasonable for him to be taken under the wings of a few vets and maybe even be carried a bit early on...with expectations that he be more of a contributor later in the season & the playoffs. His upside far exceeds any of his competition for a roster spot. If he is sent to Manitoba w/ the direct intention of being recalled ie for conditioning then that is a different story. So far Cody hasn't wowed anyone w/ his play BUT he hasn't exactly been a liability either at +3.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy