Hodgson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Hodgson

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:58 pm

nucklehead_88 wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:
Yes Cody has lost so much of his game, he is no where the same player of two years ago.
This is what I don't get... how can we tell either way?

because we watched him play the last couplle weeks, thats how.
I'm not sure saying he "lost" it is the best way to describe it... it seems like he was still displaying the mental aspects of his game rather well. It seems like he was a step or two slow, and had some trouble staying on the puck. Both of those can be directly attributed to rust.

As far as the team is concerned, if the Canucks sign Morrison we're probably not losing too much (if anything) having Cody in the minors. If we don't, and are planning on rolling into the season with Rypien, Bolduc or Perrault as a Center on this roster, I don't think we'll be a better team than if we keep Hodgson.

Cody could probably benefit from playing in the minors, but I don't know that he's going to lose much playing up here either. He needs to shake off the rust, and that can be done training and playing the 10-11 minutes a night here.

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:47 pm

the toucan kid wrote:I would give him a shot to play some more games when the regular season starts, partly because I don't think he looks out of place, and partly because I'm sure the growth will be exponential.
You don't want to put a good prospect in a position where he is likely to fail. You don't want him to struggle, lose confidence, and potentially get hurt. We already went through that with him. Are we stunting his development by putting him in Winnipeg ? No, but we might be stunting his development if he plays in Vancouver.

Basically if he excels in Winnipeg he will be brought up and the spare parts will be waived and/or sent to the minors. If we fail based on a few spare parts in the early part of the season we really weren't going anywhere anyway.

There are cap implications too, but I think this would be the right move independent of cap implications.

mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:57 am

Judging by this, it looks like Hodgson has made the team:

http://twitter.com/reidder/statuses/26285663379

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:28 am

mr perfect wrote:Judging by this, it looks like Hodgson has made the team:

I've read 3 different reports.

1. Morrison and Schaefer cut, Hodgson in.

2. Hodgson cut, Schaefer in, Mo cut.

3. Mo cut, Hodgson and Schaefer in.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:51 pm

You don't want to put a good prospect in a position where he is likely to fail. You don't want him to struggle, lose confidence, and potentially get hurt. We already went through that with him. Are we stunting his development by putting him in Winnipeg ? No, but we might be stunting his development if he plays in Vancouver.

Basically if he excels in Winnipeg he will be brought up and the spare parts will be waived and/or sent to the minors. If we fail based on a few spare parts in the early part of the season we really weren't going anywhere anyway.

There are cap implications too, but I think this would be the right move independent of cap implications.
By that logic he should never get into the NHL in the first place. He only fails if he's expected to do ridiculous things.

In the sense that stunting means he can't grow, frankly yes, there's a chance that Winnipeg might be a waste of time. At worst in Vancouver, if he should need to be sent down, then he has specific things to perfect while in the A.

As for Mo, nice try, but it's over. Please tell me Schaeffer isn't getting a look?

Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Linden Is God wrote:
mr perfect wrote:Judging by this, it looks like Hodgson has made the team:

I've read 3 different reports.

1. Morrison and Schaefer cut, Hodgson in.

2. Hodgson cut, Schaefer in, Mo cut.

3. Mo cut, Hodgson and Schaefer in.

Gotta love hockey, it's a soap opera in it's own right. Who needs daytime drama.

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:36 pm

With too many players still up with the big team there has to be more cuts coming by Wednesday.

Sedin-Sedin-Sammy
Raymond-Kesler-Torres
Schaeffer-Malhotra-Hansen
Glass-Bolduc-Desbiens

Hamhuis-Edler
Erhoff-Ballard
Bieksa-Alberts

Luongo
Schneider

So who is still trying to break into the mix:

Hodgson, Perrault, Tambellini, Rome, Lack.

Then we still have Rypien due back from injury soon. Who am I missing?

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:49 pm

You know Rypien and Rome are on the final roster. We're not putting those two on waivers.

I'm still curious on the LTIR situation. Do we need Salo and Burrows on the 23-man roster to start the season (ie play the first game with 21 guys?!)?? If not, we can "assign" and "recall" (without leaving the arena) any one of Hodgson, Desbiens, or Bolduc before the game. Tambo would have to clear waivers IIRC. Schaefer doesn't even have a contract yet, so can we sign him 30 minutes before we hit the ice and fax it to the league?

It's probably down to Hodgson/Bolduc for the fourth line C. And then Desbiens/Tambo/Schaefer for the last one or two forward spots. Rypien, as mentioned, is on the roster and will probably be the press box guy until he's healthy.

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Shame to have to start the year with a Rome or an SOB in the top six. SOB looked better, I'm not going to lie.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:56 pm

the toucan kid wrote:Shame to have to start the year with a Rome or an SOB in the top six. SOB looked better, I'm not going to lie.
Ehrhoff-Hamhuis
Edler-Ballard
Bieksa-Alberts
Rome

Unless I missed an injury?

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Unless I missed an injury?
Eep. That should read "a Rome or an [Alberts] in the top six."

Proof reading Toucan, proof reading. :oops:

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:57 pm

My opinion - no way did Hodgson make this team. He was way out of place. Hopefully a few/couple months in the minors playing with some pros will do him good, but clearly not ready for prime time due to a myriad of reasons. I've no problem with that, we've got a good roster and didn't need a superman to come in to save us.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:30 pm

My opinion - the tie goes to the runner & in this case thats your blue chip prospect. Hodgson did not look as out of place as you describe but although he clearly wasn't dominant like we'd all like he didn't hurt the team. When you consider his hockey smarts and upside keeping him on the team is not such a stretch. That said, spending some time apprenticing in Winnipeg w/ Schroeder wouldn't have hurt either imo. Hodgson on the team now can only be judged by how he develops in the future...if he flops you can say 'see told you so' and if he succeeds others can say the same back to you. Hindsight is 20/20...Having Nedved on the team as an 18 yr old was clearly a mistake (in terms of performance and how lost he looked) as was Thornton in Boston....but both of those cases worked out ok. Quinn said he always regretted sending Holden back to junior when he had actually *made* the team but mgmt all felt he'd be better served w/ a dose of patience. That was the year he had his tendons sliced open w/ a skate. Perhaps Burke will regret sending Kadri to the farm, who knows at this point.

Lets not be quick to judge Cody, let him learn and work through his mistakes. If he isn't a trainwreck my guess is he will grow w/ the team and be a contributor by the time playoffs are in sight. Keep in mind the team can always send him to the Moose if things are progressing according to plan.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:50 am

Apparently Perrault is gone so the Canucks now have Schaefer, Tambellini and Hodgson left to choose from. Given that the Canucks have to be cap compliant by Wednesday noon (which includes injured players) and still sit over the limit, plus have a $90,000 carry over from last year the opening night roster could differ somewhat from what it is as of the deadline.

If Hodgson eventually lives up to expectations he will most likely end up centering on one of the first three lines. The Canucks are set in those positions as of now and Hodgson has not outplayed any of the incumbents. It is pretty clear that injuries have factored in to Hodgson's development as a pro player and certainly can't be discounted for his showing in his last two attempts to make the Canucks. A stint in the minors, either to shake off the rust and/or continue his development, given that injury history would not be an unusual course of action. There is absolutely no reason to rush him into any role based on some media/fan/draft preconceived notion as to what type of player he should be at this time.

Edit: Tambellini waived.