Hodgson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Hodgson

Post by woodhog »

This is all that I could find relating to Cody on the TSN and Sportsnet websites:

NOTES: Prospect Cody Hodgson, who missed most of his 2009-10 junior season with Brampton of the OHL due to back troubles, has been cleared for light-contact drills. The same goes for Burrows
trouble

Post by trouble »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I'm not too concerned Clambake. Too many chicken littles in this market who get stirred up by the likes of Taylor, Pratt , Botchford etc. .

Other than Powell, Lalji and Murph there sure are a lot of losers covering the local sports scene.

They might be losers but..

In a hockey mad market. Reporters have to do whatever it takes to come up with stories to feed this market.

It's the fans that feed it.

When there is Canucks news, Newspapers sell, It's on the front page saying there is a Canucks story in sports. Fans watch the sports shows and on and on.

As for Cody. I personally think he is ready for main camp. I think the reason the Canucks held him back from the prospect torrney was because they knew that it was gonna be a rough series and didn't wanna risk Cody's health in mean nothing games, same reason for him to stay away from the press till today. He would be honest and say he is ready then the press would be.. Why aren't you playing... bla bla bla.. Not worth the BS
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This is the most positive article I've on Hodgson lately.

LINK
Asked if an apology was in order from the head coach, Hodgson said: “No. Mr. Vigneault calls it the way he sees it and I’m looking forward to earning his respect this year and the years that follow. He’s a great coach for a reason. We’ve had many talks and he seems like a good man.”

“We’re symptom-free and if all goes well it should be pretty soon here I can go for regular practice and then step into games,” he said. “It was a complicated thing and it was tough to get through, but it’s all settled down now.”
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

The kid did ahrigh'

First game back he played it good, not trying to over do it but used his natural hockey sense to be where he had to be (even though his timing is off). He'll be fine on this trajectory. LEAVE HIM ALONE! :mex:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

If he plays out camp the way he played last night (which was pretty good, not great) then I would put him on the big club for a while, even if it costs us Morrison.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

the toucan kid wrote:If he plays out camp the way he played last night (which was pretty good, not great) then I would put him on the big club for a while, even if it costs us Morrison.

i wouldnt. the kid is going from juniors, to not playing for a year.....a jump right to the big league woudnt be good for him. let him get his game back in manitoba for a season, then call him up
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

nucklehead_88 wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:If he plays out camp the way he played last night (which was pretty good, not great) then I would put him on the big club for a while, even if it costs us Morrison.

i wouldnt. the kid is going from juniors, to not playing for a year.....a jump right to the big league woudnt be good for him. let him get his game back in manitoba for a season, then call him up
I didn't watch the game so I'm not 100% capable of saying. But I'd tend to go with Toucan on this one, and for the the reasons both of you listed. The fact that he HASN'T played for most of a season, and STILL looked capable of playing at a respectable level seems to indicate that given a few more weeks of playing he could be very serviceable for us. It was only his first preseason game, and by all accounts he played relatively well. At a minimum, we need to see some more out of him to see if he's worthy of a full-time spot.

It might be wise to let him spend those weeks in the AHL, but given our contract situation, I'm not sure that we want to sign Morrison solely to hold a spot while Cody gets up to speed in the "A". Remember, he's not waiver eligible, so we can send him down and bring him up at will.

For me it's really going to be one or the other. Having both Hodgson and Morrison in the bottom six isn't going to help the grit factor on this squad, especially while Burrows is injured.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
nucklehead_88 wrote:

I didn't watch the game so I'm not 100% capable of saying. But I'd tend to go with Toucan on this one, and for the the reasons both of you listed. The fact that he HASN'T played for most of a season, and STILL looked capable of playing at a respectable level seems to indicate that given a few more weeks of playing he could be very serviceable for us. It was only his first preseason game, and by all accounts he played relatively well. At a minimum, we need to see some more out of him to see if he's worthy of a full-time spot.

It might be wise to let him spend those weeks in the AHL, but given our contract situation, I'm not sure that we want to sign Morrison solely to hold a spot while Cody gets up to speed in the "A". Remember, he's not waiver eligible, so we can send him down and bring him up at will.

For me it's really going to be one or the other. Having both Hodgson and Morrison in the bottom six isn't going to help the grit factor on this squad, especially while Burrows is injured.

keep in mind he looked "capable" during a game where everyone got lit up. if he had played in the game against the ducks he would have been non existant. i dont think he even looked THAT good against edmonton.

Jim Robson
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

nucklehead_88 wrote:keep in mind he looked "capable" during a game where everyone got lit up. if he had played in the game against the ducks he would have been non existant. i dont think he even looked THAT good against edmonton.
I fail to see your logic...by your first point he may well have looked phenomenal against the Ducks. The fact he looked decent against EDM is a major compliment imo. The guy was skated well, almost scored as he rang it off the post & Khabibulin's skate and was an amazing +2 while Samuelsson was -5!!! For a guy who is just getting up to speed & is rusty I thought he responded very well. What are people expecting here, Pavel Bure's debut?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

ClamRussel wrote:
nucklehead_88 wrote:keep in mind he looked "capable" during a game where everyone got lit up. if he had played in the game against the ducks he would have been non existant. i dont think he even looked THAT good against edmonton.
I fail to see your logic...by your first point he may well have looked phenomenal against the Ducks. The fact he looked decent against EDM is a major compliment imo. The guy was skated well, almost scored as he rang it off the post & Khabibulin's skate and was an amazing +2 while Samuelsson was -5!!! For a guy who is just getting up to speed & is rusty I thought he responded very well. What are people expecting here, Pavel Bure's debut?
Not to put words in nuck_88s mouth, but I think he was saying that Cody looked OK because the rest of the team sucked. If he had played against the Ducks, perhaps he would have been overshadowed by the Sedins et al.

I think we should let him get a few games under his belt and then we'll see how he looks. I would imagine that he'll play in all the remaining preseason games. Give the kid a chance!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

woodhog wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Not to put words in nuck_88s mouth, but I think he was saying that Cody looked OK because the rest of the team sucked. If he had played against the Ducks, perhaps he would have been overshadowed by the Sedins et al.

I think we should let him get a few games under his belt and then we'll see how he looks. I would imagine that he'll play in all the remaining preseason games. Give the kid a chance!
Oh I perfectly understood what he meant, just don't think its a very strong argument.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Clam Muscle is correct.

Generally, when a player plays well while the rest of the team sucks ass, it's a sign he's not "leaching" off others. When he plays well because of others its a different matter entirely. Because Cody played well while the rest of the team sucked ass, you would have to assume that with better players, playing better, he would stand a better chance of doing well.

The kids first game of the exhibition season, the whole team shits the bed, and he winds up being a bright spot? And you wonder why the Canucks cut Schroeder today....

Hodgson has a real shot to make this team. He doesn't have to be perfect, just regain some time in his development. This was the best junior player in the country, arguably the best forward CHL prospect in hockey. You absolutely have to give this kid a chance to make your team. Anyone that says otherwise is rockin' a handi-dart pass...
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

woodhog wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

you got it. i'm not writing the kid off, i just think the jump from no playing a year right to the NHL is a bit much. just saying an 8-2 game isnt the best game to judge someones performance no matter who they are. if he looks to be good in the next few games, including tonight, then of course you give him a spot.

Jim Robson
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

One game period isn't enough to make an opinion on any player imo.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

he was on the 4th line by the third period. not a good sign

Jim Robson