Hodgson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Hodgson

Post by ClamRussel »

Not that I don't think he'll make the team, in fact I can't see him not making it. However, even if its close the tie goes to the runner & in this case that would be your bluechip top prospect. Back in the day there was a camp where Druken & Holden clearly should have made the team over a couple of Swedes who happened to be drafted 2nd & 3rd overall. It took almost a decade but look at the Sedins now. That is why sometimes you give preferential treatment and why patience can pay off. Even if Hodgson isn't the clear choice for 2nd unit PP you give it to him. Even if he struggles terribly, you give it to him. Look at Stamkos. Look at Henrik.

I rest my case...

The Dude abides.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Gotta agree with Clam.

Unless this kid is absolutely not ready, I don't see him not on the team. If his development has been stalled by injury that much, a year in the AHL will help him... but considering this is a player who's dominated every level he's attempted when healthy (and 10 points in 11 playoff games last season playing with a broken foot and still-injured back), I can't fathom him coming to camp and not beating out a guy like Hansen or Glass for that third line winger spot.

All things being even remotely equal, I don't see Perrault or Tambelini making the team over Cody.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Well I hope he's ready for camp because the media attention he'll recieve will be intense.

The Canucks do have the option of bouncing him between the Moose?Canucks for 10 or 15 games w/o waiver concerns ,correct?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: The Canucks do have the option of bouncing him between the Moose?Canucks for 10 or 15 games w/o waiver concerns ,correct?
I'm not sure of the Canucks will have any issue bringing him back and forth all he season. He hasn't played enough NHL games to be waiver-eligible.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Tiger wrote:there is a guy from Pitt meadows practicing with prospects and pro's now who can play center
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that BMo get signed by the Wild, after Sheppard got injured...
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Apparently Hodgson's ongoing problems were from an undiagnosed muscle tear not a bulging disc, and the Canucks want a further medical evaluation before he plays:
Cody Hodgson arrived in Vancouver Wednesday after a summer of training under Gary Roberts. The Canucks have not had a chance to evaluate Hodgson's back issues, so he may not be available to play in the upcoming Young Prospects Tournament in Penticton. Gillis also said the back issues were related more to a torn lower back muscle than to a disc issue
Mike Gillis on Captaincy and Hodgson Health
Interview: http://www.teamradio.ca/contentfiles2/M ... ekeres.mp3
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Well I'm no doctor (where's Dork? :lol:) but a muscle tear sounds a lot better than a bulging disk....

Either way, this kid has spent a lot of time training with super-freak Gary Roberts, if he's not healthy for camp we definitely have a problem!
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Well I'm no doctor (where's Dork? :lol:) but a muscle tear sounds a lot better than a bulging disk....
I'm a real doctor, not one of those fruit-bar medical practitioners who go to school for three years and then pretend they know what they're talking about. I go for ten then pretend to know what I'm talking about.

But in my professorial opinion a muscle tear is different from a bulging disk. But the comparison is wrong. The correct comparison is/was "diagnosed bulging disk" and "misdiagnosed muscle tear". Which is worse is probably a function of how long it takes to right the misdiagnosis. On the other hand I should stick with Maxwell's Equations and Fourier Transforms, both of which would probably put the patient to sleep really quickly (and sleep is well known to help with recovery).

Where's the money, Lebowski.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dr.dork wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Well I'm no doctor (where's Dork? :lol:) but a muscle tear sounds a lot better than a bulging disk....
I'm a real doctor, not one of those fruit-bar medical practitioners who go to school for three years and then pretend they know what they're talking about. I go for ten then pretend to know what I'm talking about.

But in my professorial opinion a muscle tear is different from a bulging disk. But the comparison is wrong. The correct comparison is/was "diagnosed bulging disk" and "misdiagnosed muscle tear". Which is worse is probably a function of how long it takes to right the misdiagnosis. On the other hand I should stick with Maxwell's Equations and Fourier Transforms, both of which would probably put the patient to sleep really quickly (and sleep is well known to help with recovery).

Where's the money, Lebowski.
Doctor Who?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Well I'm no doctor (where's Dork? :lol:) but a muscle tear sounds a lot better than a bulging disk....!
I'm no doc too but a torn muscle could be very complicated too, it depends on how many fibres are torn. A muscle is build by many bundled micro-fibres and if the whole bundle is torn then goodnight, at least it needs also surgery (if you want to do pro sports). An ex-team mate of mine had it in the thigh area and never played competition matches again even as "semi pro", of course he didn't get surgery. Since then he's doing just recreational sports and you can clearly feel the hole it left in the thigh...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Well, I'm no Dr. either ... but it was reported today by AV that Cody WILL NOT be taking part in the prospects tourny after he was examined by Canuck medical staff yesterday.

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocente ... 3&catid=-6

He (AV) seemed very secretive about the reasons for the decision and he wouldn't answer any other questions relating to Cody's condition.
The Canucks are just going to stir up more rumours and speculation about Cody and his back (and his relationship with AV).

Maybe that's the idea? Get people talking about the Canucks and generate more interest prior to the season, as if they need to in this market.

Well, at least it's fodder for the forums. I can just imagine what's going on at CDC (I rarely waste my time over there).

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id ... an-news-cr
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I have a very bad feeling about this. This is not going well whatsoever....and it all began w/ Dave Gagner's "twisting" exercises.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

I wouldn't take this as a big deal. I'm sure the main camp is more important for him and Canucks management.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Well, how convenient is that! News from the future!
On Saturday, September 11, [url=http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/whitetowel/archive/2010/09/11/hodgson-may-not-be-ready-until-the-end-of-the-month.aspx]Jim Jamieson[/url] of The Province wrote:The Province has learned from a source with an understanding of Hodgson's situation that he is close to being 100 per cent healthy for the first time since injuring his back, but may not be able to participate in contact until the end of this month.
It's rather contradictory... If he really is close to 100%, why are they not letting him participate in contact drills for a month? Won't that delay any kind of development at the NHL level? Why are they forcing him to start on the Moose? If they are just being cautious, is he really that close to being 100%? Not that I ascribe to the conspiracy theories that the media is trying to force down our throats, but seriously, something isn't passing the smell test...
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I think this young guy is going to be a star and there is no need to rush him into anything. He was rushed last year and a whole season was lost. Now that the mis-diagnosis has been found it is time to properly rest and rehab the injury. He will be up before too long and he will be worth the wait.