Bieksa on OTR

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

trouble

Bieksa on OTR

Post by trouble » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:16 pm

Here is the link to the You Tube of Bieksa on TSN's OTR



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpEOiCJW ... r_embedded

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by ClamRussel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:31 pm

Just watching douchebag 1a Kane do his "swimming move" celebration and then douchebag 1b Bufuglien taunt the crowd pissed me off all over again. Don't think there's ever been a team I've disliked that much...ever! Edmonton came close w/ their cockiness but they didn't stoop to such depths of douchery....well maybe Sather's smug smirk did but not the players. Nope, Chicago is a team I love to hate. So happy they're self-destructing before our very eyes. hahah. Punks.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

trouble

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by trouble » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:20 am

I was just checking out Bieska draft year 2001

There were a few Canucks D-men drafted in that years

1st 12 Dan Hamhuis
1st 24 Lukas Krajicek
4th 106 Christian Ehrhoff
5th 151 Kevin Bieksa
6th 179 Andrew Alberts

Also note that Vancouver Drafted two other players before they Drafted Bieska

RJ Umberger
Fedor Ferorov

trouble

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by trouble » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:23 am

ClamRussel wrote:Just watching douchebag 1a Kane do his "swimming move" celebration and then douchebag 1b Bufuglien taunt the crowd pissed me off all over again. Don't think there's ever been a team I've disliked that much...ever! Edmonton came close w/ their cockiness but they didn't stoop to such depths of douchery....well maybe Sather's smug smirk did but not the players. Nope, Chicago is a team I love to hate. So happy they're self-destructing before our very eyes. hahah. Punks.
Yep gotta agree with ya Clam.. I facking hate the Hawks.. Looking forward to kicking some black hawk ass in the coming season..

User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by levelheaded » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:06 am

trouble wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Just watching douchebag 1a Kane do his "swimming move" celebration and then douchebag 1b Bufuglien taunt the crowd pissed me off all over again. Don't think there's ever been a team I've disliked that much...ever! Edmonton came close w/ their cockiness but they didn't stoop to such depths of douchery....well maybe Sather's smug smirk did but not the players. Nope, Chicago is a team I love to hate. So happy they're self-destructing before our very eyes. hahah. Punks.
Yep gotta agree with ya Clam.. I facking hate the Hawks.. Looking forward to kicking some black hawk ass in the coming season..
I relish the idea of facing them in the playoffs again. We'll win this time, and that cup will taste even sweeter than you could imagine.

User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by Tciso » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:34 pm

levelheaded wrote:
trouble wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Just watching douchebag 1a Kane do his "swimming move" celebration and then douchebag 1b Bufuglien taunt the crowd pissed me off all over again. Don't think there's ever been a team I've disliked that much...ever! Edmonton came close w/ their cockiness but they didn't stoop to such depths of douchery....well maybe Sather's smug smirk did but not the players. Nope, Chicago is a team I love to hate. So happy they're self-destructing before our very eyes. hahah. Punks.
Yep gotta agree with ya Clam.. I facking hate the Hawks.. Looking forward to kicking some black hawk ass in the coming season..
I relish the idea of facing them in the playoffs again. We'll win this time, and that cup will taste even sweeter than you could imagine.
it probably has a bit of a metallic taste. but, I agree with the sentiment
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

trouble

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by trouble » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Back onto Bieska..

There is alot to like about Bieska. He is a right handed shot. Something the Canucks are very short on. He tough as nails. He like to play the game the way it was meant to be played.. He has some offence, But he has to learn when is the best time to join the play. He is still very young and is coming into his prime. He is also very well liked by his teammates. He was injured last year and came back early, maybe to early. I remember when Bieska was a Fan Favorite, Maybe he can get that back this coming season. Best part about Bieska is he really hate Chicago. Gotta love that

I think MG should see if he can get a deal done with Erhoff now. If Ehrhoff is gonna be asking for to much money to resign, Maybe consider trading Ehrhoff instead of Bieska. After the season Ehrhoff had, he would get you alot in return, maybe more then Bieska.

Just a thought

User avatar
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by Linden Is God » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:46 pm

I like the idea of keeping BXA. For all his faults, he does bring lots of grit which some of the other D do not bring.

I think it's imperative that Gillis gets a deal done with Ehrhoff. Go from there and then move a dman. I'd rather see Salo go then BXA. I do realize that Salo has a NTC, but I'm sure he could be enticed to go somewhere.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by Tciso » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Linden Is God wrote:I like the idea of keeping BXA. For all his faults, he does bring lots of grit which some of the other D do not bring.

I think it's imperative that Gillis gets a deal done with Ehrhoff. Go from there and then move a dman. I'd rather see Salo go then BXA. I do realize that Salo has a NTC, but I'm sure he could be enticed to go somewhere.
I agree with you on both points. And, if Salo won't allow a trade, we can always put him on the IR all season :D .
On a more serious note, Salo is just too fragile, and at 35, on the wrong side of the hill. Yes BXA has missed a lot of games, but both times, it was from freak "one of" skate cuts. Gillis must be losing sleep over Salo, as we basically need a good #7 dman to replace Salo for 20 odd games every year, and the playoffs too. Then, we need a good #8 dman when one of the other 5 are out.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by levelheaded » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:01 am

I would trade Bieksa long before I traded Salo. When healthy (and obviously that's the operative word) he's our best defenceman. He doesn't play a flashy or gritty game, but he's positionally sound and thinks the game better than anyone we've had in the last decade. He's been a great mentor for Edler, and you can see his reserved, cautious style starting to rub off on him.

Bieksa on the other hand is a high risk, high reward kinda guy. He seems to alternate good years with atrocious years, and he does make some very glaring mistakes, but not so much that they completely detract from his game. When he's on he's hard to stop, and can turn a game around by himself. Plus he's a right handed shot and brings a much needed physical element to our back end. Say what you want about him, but he always goes balls to the wall and never quits on a play. Admittedly the reason he's slamming a guy into the glass is probably because he's made a horrendous mistake, but you need intimidaters like that from time to time. With that said, he's just not too much of a risk. Gillis is obviously in win now mode (and rightly so) so has invested in steady defenceman who can allow Louie to do what he does best and not get caught up constantly fearing he's about to face a 3 on 1.

Bieksa isn't a kid anymore (He's 29 all of a sudden) so you can't pretend that he'll improve any time soon. What you see is what you get with him, and as much as I like his style of play, I don't think he fits on this team any more. He takes up valuable cap space, and while he did earn that paycheque when he first signed the contract, he hasn't really improved very much and he's been passed on the depth chart pretty severely since then. You can't be paying your #6 guy $3.75M, not when you still have a 2nd line LW and a couple bottom six forwards to sign.
Tciso wrote:we basically need a good #7 dman to replace Salo for 20 odd games every year, and the playoffs too. Then, we need a good #8 dman when one of the other 5 are out.
I'd argue that Rome is a pretty good #7 guy. He brings nothing offensively, but he doesn't make many mistakes and can eat 12-14 minutes a night if necessary. I don't know what more you could ask from a fill-in guy. Alberts isn't bad as a #8 either, he just makes far too much money for the role he fills. We also have players like Baumer on the moose, and young defencemen who can fill in if necessary for the first time in a long time. Our problem isn't defensive depth by any means.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by Fred » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:17 am

Bieska has pretty well run his course here. He's definitely a NHL D but after watching for so long we the fans and I presume the coaches and mangers know the pimples to. I can't stand it when he gets beat he turns on the Joe Cool Bieska and seems unable to regain or catch up with his mistake, he becomes casual and what appears disinterested but frankly i think it's when the practised play fails he has no ability to make an adjustment. He's a manufactured player, free thought is not an option. We can live without him. As to Rome, a 14 minute player? that's 23% of the game, I don't think he can handle that much of the game at the NHL level, it's like treading water for that time. Surpisingly I think Alberts started to show signs of turning the corner, he's not running a round trying to make a hit, stay deep and play the angles, he has hope IMO. Plus of course is a big body for the PK, great reach. I don't see Rome playing a lot of specalty team
cheers

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by Arachnid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:31 am

Man, I can't stand that guy, annoying as all hell, Lansberg, not Besucksa... 8-)

Kevin is alrigh for D depth I geuss, what do you expect from someone born in Ontario, they think they all better than they are :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7314
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by Cornuck » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:48 am

Whether we like him or not, he seems the most logical choice for shedding salary, which we need to do. Right now, we're about 400k over, and if Hodgson plays his way on to the team, we'll be about another $1m further over.

We don't have any dispensable forwards that make that much, so the savings have to be taken out of the D - Sorry Kevin, thanks for the memories, but you're the odd man out.

Gillis seems to be waiting for the best deal, and he has time. Not every team will like that 3.7m salary, but it's only for this year.

Looking at next year, we'll see a changing of the guard with Edler, Hamhuis and Ballard as our core - Salo, Ehroff become UFA's and we could have a totally new look D.
2017 - The Road to 65™

User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by Tciso » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:59 am

Cornuck wrote:Whether we like him or not, he seems the most logical choice for shedding salary, which we need to do. Right now, we're about 400k over, and if Hodgson plays his way on to the team, we'll be about another $1m further over.

We don't have any dispensable forwards that make that much, so the savings have to be taken out of the D - Sorry Kevin, thanks for the memories, but you're the odd man out.

Gillis seems to be waiting for the best deal, and he has time. Not every team will like that 3.7m salary, but it's only for this year.

Looking at next year, we'll see a changing of the guard with Edler, Hamhuis and Ballard as our core - Salo, Ehroff become UFA's and we could have a totally new look D.
I don't have my degree in capology, but at the same time, I don't think we need to dump BXA. We can shed $2mil of salary with both Alberts and Hordichuk. Now, if the right trade comes along, then definitely pull the trigger, but if there is no good trades to be had, keep him. I mean, how much of OBrian and Rome do you really want to see? I am pretty confident that if we simply salary dump BXA, the answer is going to be we want to see a lot less of them than we are forced to watch. Our #7 dman is going to play 40+ games this year, and that also means our #6 dman is going to be playing a lot of #5 dman minutes. Top it off with another season of Samuelsson playing the point on the PP to give our defense a rest.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7314
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Bieksa on OTR

Post by Cornuck » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:36 pm

So you get rid of Hordi and Alberts - you shed 1.7 and lose 2 depth positions. That leaves us next to nothing for the trade deadline.

If we lose BXA and get either picks, prospects or both - I'd rather do that.

Our current cap situation
2017 - The Road to 65™

Post Reply