Canucks Sign Jordan Schroeder

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

trouble

Canucks Sign Jordan Schroeder

Post by trouble »

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=521636

Shroeder signs a professional contract with the Vancouver Canucks.Wednesday, 17.03.2010 / 9:29 AM

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President and General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed their 2009 first round draft selection, centre Jordan Schroeder. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Schroeder, 20, spent the 2009-10 season with University of Minnesota, recording 28 points (9-19-28) in 37 games played. In his freshman season, Schroeder tallied 45 points (13-32-45) in 35 games.

On the international stage, the Prior Lake, Minnesota native has appeared in three World Junior Championships. In 2010, he registered eight points (3-5-8) in seven games as a member of the gold-medal winning Team USA. His 27 career points (20-7-27) at the WJC is the most by an American all-time (Jeremy Roenick previously held the record with 25). He also earned bronze (2008) and silver (2007) medals at the World Junior U18 Championships.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Sign Jordan Schroeder

Post by Sid Dithers »

I'm not sure why, but Schroeder doesn't excite me. I'm skeptical of him turning out to be the kind of player a 1st round pick should be. Will be curious to see if he makes the jump to pro this summer.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I'm with Sid. He's awfully small, what are we really talking here, a Wellwood type? Can he really play center in the NHL and do we even have room for him. As always an asset is always convertible and heck I have been wrong before. No, really I have.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

the toucan kid wrote:I'm with Sid. He's awfully small
they said the same thing about Cliff Ronning and Theo Fleury
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

And many others. Still makes it a lot tougher.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

If he doesn't pan out, maybe Gillis will pull another Patrick White.

They were both drafted out of Minnesota by Vancouver in the first round =p
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
trouble

Post by trouble »

Schroeder may be a smaller player but he plays like a 6 footer... This was a very good signing by the Nucks.. This kid can play and will be a star in Vancouver one day
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

trouble wrote:Schroeder may be a smaller player but he plays like a 6 footer... This was a very good signing by the Nucks.. This kid can play and will be a star in Vancouver one day
But that still puts him at a physical disadvantage against 6'0 guys who play like they're 6'3". I hope you're right, because I'm more than a little tired of 1st rounders who end up doing nothing here. As well, his significant dip in numbers this year from last have to certainly raise a red flag or two. A 19-yo taking a sizable step backwards doesn't look good.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I agree with Sid that the downturn in his production this year is some cause for concern. That said, the sophomore slump does seem to be a regular occurrence.

His size doesn't really bother me, as he has the speed and agility to compensate. Give him a couple years with the A and we will see where he goes. As per the comparison to White, I would still pick Schroeder, given the same circumstances at draft. He was the best available player still available and that was only because of his size. White on the other hand was, at the time, not a good pick. I know hindsight is 20/20 but even so White not close to being the best player available at that pick by any stretch anyone's imagination other than Nonis'.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
trouble

Post by trouble »

Sid Dithers wrote:
trouble wrote:Schroeder may be a smaller player but he plays like a 6 footer... This was a very good signing by the Nucks.. This kid can play and will be a star in Vancouver one day
But that still puts him at a physical disadvantage against 6'0 guys who play like they're 6'3". I hope you're right, because I'm more than a little tired of 1st rounders who end up doing nothing here. As well, his significant dip in numbers this year from last have to certainly raise a red flag or two. A 19-yo taking a sizable step backwards doesn't look good.

His dip in numbers this year was more to do with his wingers from last year, one left for Colorado and the other was injured. The guy has skill, He's fast and he is not scared to goto the dirty area's
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

I have to say, I'm not at all a fan of college kids, at least in the first round. I've done zero research, but I struggle to see how a college hockey program is going to match the whl / ohl from a development standpoint. Less games, and there's all that time in class and doing college things.

College is great, but there's a lack of focus that would worry me as a GM from a development standpoint. Sure there are college players in the NHL. I'd love to see some numbers on how many drafted in the 1st round make it to 100+ nhl games (versus whl, versus ohl, etc).
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Has anybody here seen Schroeder play enough times to give a run down on his speed, puck handling and smarts? In today's NHL size isn't so critical if a player is fast enough and can handle the puck well. Having said that it would be nice if Schroeder was four inches taller and twenty five pounds heavier.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

BingoTough wrote:I have to say, I'm not at all a fan of college kids, at least in the first round. I've done zero research, but I struggle to see how a college hockey program is going to match the whl / ohl from a development standpoint. Less games, and there's all that time in class and doing college things.

College is great, but there's a lack of focus that would worry me as a GM from a development standpoint. Sure there are college players in the NHL. I'd love to see some numbers on how many drafted in the 1st round make it to 100+ nhl games (versus whl, versus ohl, etc).
I see your point, but Umberger and Kesler were draft picks out of college for us, and Morrison and Kariya were also college centres, among many others, so it doesn't bother me, too many good players have come from college and too many GM's respect the system (so long as it's the right college) that I think it's earned its reputation as a solid developmental base.
Mark
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

nucklehead_88 wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:I'm with Sid. He's awfully small
And Martin St. Louis...I'd take him any day of the week.

I agree that size should be looked at as a detriment, just like a big guy definitely has that working in his favor, but we shouldn't put undue weight on it. If a player can show that he can handle the physicality, then that's your answer. Everyone who has scouted Schroeder has said that not only can he handle it but he's remarkably strong for his size, and unlike Pat White, the commentary was that we were lucky to steal Schroeder at that place. Pat White, haha, was more of a, "What the...?"
Mark
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

At this point its just as valid to make comparisons to Zach Parise as it is to Patrick White. Guess it just depends if you want to think positive or negative. Give the kid a chance, if nothing else he's a very good prospect to have in our system along w/ Hodgson.

One guest on the TEAM said within a year Schroeder will have surpassed Hodgson on the Canucks depth chart. Pretty sure no one would have ever said that about Patrick White.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy