Hansen, UFA

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Hansen, UFA

Post by Fred » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:15 pm

I don't know how to iniate a poll but what's the betting Hansen leaves in the summer and goes on for a real opportunity
cheers

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Hansen, UFA

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Trade him for a bag of pucks before we lose him for nothing. :D

galiano
AHL Prospect

Post by galiano » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Hansen has a lot of upside and should be a 3rd line winger. He just hasn't been given a long chance to succeed here. If he leaves, and he likely will, I think he could excel with a weaker team.
galiano

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:15 pm

galiano wrote:Hansen has a lot of upside and should be a 3rd line winger. He just hasn't been given a long chance to succeed here. If he leaves, and he likely will, I think he could excel with a weaker team.
I thought he looked better this year. Unfortunately he got hurt and couldn't crack the lineup. He is fast, good on the PK, and didn't look that bad on the 3rd line. He may get in a game over the next little while.

But his trade value certainly isn't that high, and he may get a chance elsewhere.

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Hansen is better than either Bernier or Glass in my opinion.

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:51 pm

I hope we keep him and give him another good chance. He looked very good when coming back off injury, I will agree he's got some good upside.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm

I think he'll leave in the summer and them embasse Canucks management and AV. By the way I agree he offers more than bernier
cheers

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Hansen is an RFA at the end of the year, so unless some team inexplicably throws an offer sheet at him he'll be a part of the organization. I imagine he'll be given a 2 year contract at around what he makes now to see if he can cut it as an NHLer, if not he can go back to Europe or something. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if he was used as trade bait at the deadline. He's one of the few moveable assets we have that has some value.

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:07 pm

I'd hate to see him go. A guy who works hard and can skate can almost always be made into a useful player. A little more time and maturity in his game could serve him very well.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Puck » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:49 am

All accurate points about Hansen, but he doesn't bring much of a physical edge. Bernier does. If Bernier repeats last playoff's performance, and can be re-signed at a more appropriate salary, he's worth keeping. Would you guys be happy to go into the playoffs with Hansen instead of Bernier?

(this is not a condemnation of Jannick, BTW, just a comparison)

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:54 pm

Bernier I believe has another year left at $2.0 / season... St.Louis really put it to us. But after next year I can't see MG resigning him unless it's at Hansen type numbers. For what ever reason AV has taken a long long time to understand Bernier short comings but reached a real quick one on Hansen... I suppose he's protecting his GM. I don't recall Bernier busting a hand in a fight this season, in fact I don't recall him having a fight period, maybe he has. And his speed is inadequate to be a fore checker. His scoring touch is non exitant, both Hansen and Bernier have the same 0.2 goals per game and Hansen can certainly outskate him by a country mile so his fore check is waaaaaaay better in that regard. Hansen is paid $550 K / season
cheers

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Would you guys be happy to go into the playoffs with Hansen instead of Bernier?
Yes.

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Yes also, especially if coach V tells him he's got the confidence in him for the third line and will let him finish out the year there, with some minutes with Raymond and PP time. I'm sure Jannick will run with it.

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Great goal by Jannick tonight. Nice to see him contribute. I'm not his biggest fan (don't see much potential) but he's a pretty useful guy to have on the bottom 6. I would still take Bernier over him in the playoffs though. I was very impressed with what I saw last year and his size gives him a significant advantage over Hansen. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure we can all agree that both players should be ahead of several players currently occupying the bottom 6. Just say no to Johnson, Hordichuk, Wellwood, and yes, Rypien (okay maybe there's a spot for Rypien because of his fighting and hussle but he's really not that great of a player). I hope to see a lot of those guys sitting behind Hansen and Bernier. I actually like Wellwood but man is he just completely useless these days or what? It's amazing that he's made it this far.

MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:08 am

I don't think it's necessarily a Bernier or Hansen going into next year, there will likely be room for both with Demitra leaving. Bernier is under contract and Hansen is RFA. I think all the positives mentioned of Hansen are true, but given the Canucks lack of big bodies up front, I'd just as soon keep Bernier as well. He is young and has shown flashes of potential (last season's playoffs) and there have been times (a San Jose game I went to in December) where he was noticeably the only player throwing his weight around there.
Mark