Pratt and Taylor

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Pratt and Taylor

Post by LotusBlossom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Due to nothing much to report on the Canucks front, we're entertain with the Pratt Days of our Live...lol

Not a patio day for Fortes but it's said to clear up shortly :)

Have one...might make us all feel a little better.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:32 pm

I didn't hear the spat but Taylor has turned into more and more of a self centred prick as the years have gone by not to mention he is a fucking baby. I actually prefer Pratt to Taylor these days as at least he knows a tiny bit about other sports other than hockey.

As an asside Taylor is one of the shittiest adult hockey players I have EVER played against.

Golf is a sport...........anyone that says it isn't is likely a shitty golfer or just hates the game similar to people who bash baseball just because it isn't all out endurance and stamina.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by LotusBlossom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I didn't hear the spat but Taylor has turned into more and more of a self centred prick as the years have gone by not to mention he is a fucking baby. I actually prefer Pratt to Taylor these days as at least he knows a tiny bit about other sports other than hockey.

As an asside Taylor is one of the shittiest adult hockey players I have EVER played against.

Golf is a sport...........anyone that says it isn't is likely a shitty golfer or just hates the game similar to people who bash baseball just because it isn't all out endurance and stamina.
I bash Pratt's sense of style and his Friday night cougar hunts..lol

I also know that DP is one of the hardest working guys in the industry...in early researching, willing to help out those trying to make the business, always free with his advice and not to mention, an overall pretty friendly guy.

That being said, I think Donnie has lost his touch on his connected segments....he was ahead of his time during the Sports Page days, and in all the years he's been on air...hasn't really evolved much. Too bad. He was once very entertaining.

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:45 pm

dr.dork wrote:
DavidPratt_ wrote:"I think there are so many things that are the same in sports and poker that you've got to link them together some way," said Brunson, a spokesperson for DoylesRoom.com. "You have to be a mental athlete to play. You have to have physical endurance. ... The last tournament I won (the No-Limit Six-Person Hold 'Em at last year's World Series of Poker), I played 18 hours one day, 16 hours the next day and 16 hours that last day. That's pretty tough. ...
I thought that after you got spanked by Taylor, a mental midget, you would run away and hide or at least admit the error of your ways. But no, you quote the 70-something on his self-serving tale about poker requiring physical endurance. Guess what, it doesn't. I suppose it depends on your definition of physical endurance, but normally that involves actually doing something like getting your fat ass off of the chair.

It is interesting that you're continuing to dig an even deeper hole.

Time to pull out the old dork of the week ...
Well put.

After plagerizing Sports Illustrated stories while on CFOX in the 80's and then getting caught red handed plagerizing his Province column last year, I thought he would stick to his own, weak ideas. Instead, he resorts to quoting the poker player. Can this guy make any point without relying on someone else's words?

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:58 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:

That being said, I think Donnie has lost his touch on his connected segments....he was ahead of his time during the Sports Page days, and in all the years he's been on air...hasn't really evolved much. Too bad. He was once very entertaining.
wow what a true statement. The guy is still going to the well with the Smolinskian one ,the weak Paul Morris and Marv Albert imiations that were fresh maybe 20 years ago on CKVU. How many times can a guy say top shelf where mom keeps the peanut butter ?That line is older than Donnie himself yet he still beats it to death. He was very good 20 years ago but he peaked early and IMHO he along with Blake Price and Scott Rintoul are two of the weaker sportscasters at the TEAM.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by LotusBlossom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:

wow what a true statement. The guy is still going to the well with the Smolinskian one ,the weak Paul Morris and Marv Albert imiations that were fresh maybe 20 years ago on CKVU. How many times can a guy say top shelf where mom keeps the peanut butter ?That line is older than Donnie himself yet he still beats it to death. He was very good 20 years ago but he peaked early and IMHO he along with Blake Price and Scott Rintoul are two of the weaker sportscasters at the TEAM.
It's like the aging hipster analogy, Blob, you don't want to be 40 acting 20. In his broadcasts, that's Donnie Taylor in my eyes and apparently the eyes of others. Past his prime and never developed much substance.

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Golf is a sport...........anyone that says it isn't is likely a shitty golfer or just hates the game similar to people who bash baseball just because it isn't all out endurance and stamina.
The argument between Pratt and Taylor was about whether Poker was a sport. Pratt had a hissy fit and then went away so he could have a cry.

If sports are defined by all out endurance and stamina there would probably be about 2 or 3, running (marathons or longer), cycling and cross country skiing. Hockey wouldn't even count. I would assume a sport is typically defined by some combination of physical speed, power, endurance, stamina and (probably most importantly) physical skill. Yes, there is a mental aspect of most sports, but that doesn't make an activity with a mental component a sport.

Golf is probably a sport based on the physical skill involved and hitting a ball 300+ yards.

Poker ? Not so much.

I agree Taylor is a bit of a buffoon himself, but Pratt still came out looking worse.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:44 pm

dr.dork wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Golf is probably a sport based on the physical skill involved and hitting a ball 300+ yards.

Poker ? Not so much.

I agree Taylor is a bit of a buffoon himself, but Pratt still came out looking worse.
I'm a bit on the fence w/ golf as a sport but this argument does little to convince me. Physical skill being the criteria opens the door for a plethora of events/games/competitions to be considered sports. The thing is, you don't compete simultaneously against your oponents. You take TURNS thus its a game. Not a physically easy game mind you and MILES closer to a sport than poker which to even consider it a sport is absurd.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:38 pm

I'll throw a monkey wrench into this whole discussion.

Can we say Nascar is a sport?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:10 am

Nice summer thread, i had a few laughs.... :lol:

And a solution, they just have to change the format of poker cards. Make them pretty heavy, i mean really heavy and you have weightlifting combined with the mental aspect. A sport.

They could use huge plates made out of led....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:33 am

Linden Is God wrote:I'll throw a monkey wrench into this whole discussion.

Great thread, I love it.

What about picking up Cougars on a Friday night with leather pants? Is that a sport?
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:07 am

If it is, Dave's an "energy" guy. Never scores, but always hustling.

With regards to Taylor, the split on how he's viewed seems to be 50% iconic, 50% moronic. My only beef is his hair. It's over. Even Tim Micallef on the Score new when it was time. Shave it, Don.
The Leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:19 am

Did the rise in TV poker take over Hockeys minutes in the US as a result of the lock out year and hockey has been unable to recover

Seems to me that the popularity of poker combined with it's cheapness has pushed other genuine sports aside including hockey Likely the Ultimate fighting is or will do the same. There's less pie left over for hockey to get a tow in ???
cheers

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:33 am

I vote yes - competitive driving (especially at that level) is physically demanding and punishing. The mental concentration is there as well to keep yourself alive.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:41 am

Formula 1 - yes, Superbikes - definitely, World Rally Championship - Hell yes, there are few more demanding auto sports or requiring more talent.

Nascar though is a bit of a joke to me as a fan of autosport, it requires very little skill or physical fitness however there is a very slight element of danger so I guess I'll have to say sort of. It's more of a spectacle than a sport though.