Handicapping the World Cup

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who's going to win the tournament?

Canada
12%
Team Canada
24%
Those Canuck boys
18%
The team with that Lemieux guy as Captain
6%
The good team
24%
The team from the Northern part of North America
No votes
Us
6%
The Canadian team - damn those boys is good!
12%

Total votes: 17

lor
AHL Prospect

Post by lor »

the toucan kid wrote:Have to agree about the goaltending, for my money they have the best team in front of the net, but in it? I mean Tellquvist? Well maybe he'll have a break out tournament. Apparently they've been impressed with him internationally have they not?

Nice to see Canucks clicking:

Markus Naslund helped the Swedish men's hockey team to a 2-0 victory over Slovakia in a tune-up for the World Cup of Hockey. (Files) BRATISLAVA, Slovakia (AP) - Daniel Sedin and NHL teammate Markus Naslund scored as Sweden blanked Slovakia 2-0 on Sunday in a warmup for the World Cup.

Mikael Tellqvist, who recently re-signed with the Toronto Maple leaves, earned the shutout. He stopped 17 shots.

Sedin's twin brother Henrik, who also plays with the Vancouver Canucks, and Henrik Zetterberg of the Detroit Red Wings set up the first goal 2:24 in.

"It was a pretty play by them and I just had to shoot the puck," said Daniel Sedin, playing for Sweden with his brother for the first time in three years. "I could have scored another one, but I guess I have to be satisfied with one goal."

Naslund, left unmarked in front after a nice pass from Toronto and Sweden captain Mats Sundin, connected with a power-play goal 3:40 into the second period while Martin Strbak was off for a high-sticking penalty.

Referees Christer Larking and Martin Gonos had a busy night, calling 40 penalty minutes.

Sweden, runner-up in the last two world championships, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Finland and Germany make up the European pool in the World Cup of Hockey.

Please read the part about Telequist twice.

Thanks
It's not easy being me.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

What that he stopped 17 shots in an exhibition game? Doesn't make me think he's going to steal the tournament. Although I can't wait to watch Sundin and Naslund play together.
Ktulu
AHL Prospect

Post by Ktulu »

So SR what happened to your Swedes? ;)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Ouch that was ugly. I'm sorry, but Naslund looked like shit in this tournament and he better come ready to play when the season starts or he can stay over there. He hasn't been the same since the Moore hit, but he's had time now to recover and needs to quick shying away from everybody and go after the puck.

I realize he was playing with a handicapped Forsberg and that because of it, it seems like they got a lot less icetime then the other line, but still pretty sad.

Ohlund was solid for them, but once again not stellar and obviously the Sedin's weren't too impressive given they were scratches, unless the coach didn't want to limit his options on the line by being forced to put a line together around them.

With Jovo being a non-factor it's not looking good for the Canucks big guns, kind of depressing. Chubs looked decent in a limited role I guess for something positive.