Heatly on the block. Interested?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Heatly on the block. Interested?

Post by BingoTough »

Despite only being one year into his contract extension with the Ottawa Senators, Dany Heatley wants out.

TSN has confirmed that the 28-year old who signed a six-year, $45 million contract extension with the team in October of 2007 - that includes a no-movement clause - informed the team a week ago of his desire to play hockey elsewhere.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281356

Would you trade for him? I think Murray will rightly demand fair market value, and for me, that's too rich for the canucks. I'd rather take a 7.5 million punt at an FA (if the Sedin's don't stay).
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Heatly on the block. Interested?

Post by Linden Is God »

I see a top 6 forward, a top 3 dman and a few picks being the asking price.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Not all that interested. Like LIG said, asking price is going to be high. No real reason to waste a top sixO and a top 3D, when there are FA's on the market that I like better anyways. Wouldn't be interested in a trade for Heatley until other opportunities are first exhausted. Even then not really sure what I would think about it. Still hoping for Gabby, and that his health will stick out. That is the only problem for a player who may be the most explosive goal scorer since Bure. Not saying the best, just explosive.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Linden Is God wrote:I see a top 6 forward, a top 3 dman and a few picks being the asking price.

I would be really, really surprised if Ottawa gets anything near that for Heater

a) Heatley announcing his desire to be traded automatically makes it a buyer's market
b) his no movement clause says he gets to pick the team. That makes it pretty tough to get an auction going
c) first thing the other GM will bring up is his character, in quitting the sens so soon after signing such a significant deal
d) the number of teams that have room, and are willing to pay his big contract is not a long list
e) whoever owns him July 1 owes him $4mill. There will be pressure to get something done before then
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'm sure we can all remember how easy it was to trade Bure.... yeah right. Ottawa cannot get what he's worth (stats wise) at the salary he's making. It's not worth picking him up if you're a no hope organization, throwing good money after bad. Teams that have no cap space left, no good. The unlikely animal to end up with getting Heatley will be a team that has cap space, has a chance to win by signing Heatley. How many teams fit that parameter
cheers
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

puckhead wrote:
Linden Is God wrote:I see a top 6 forward, a top 3 dman and a few picks being the asking price.

I would be really, really surprised if Ottawa gets anything near that for Heater

a) Heatley announcing his desire to be traded automatically makes it a buyer's market
b) his no movement clause says he gets to pick the team. That makes it pretty tough to get an auction going
c) first thing the other GM will bring up is his character, in quitting the sens so soon after signing such a significant deal
d) the number of teams that have room, and are willing to pay his big contract is not a long list
e) whoever owns him July 1 owes him $4mill. There will be pressure to get something done before then
I think Murray has given up on trying to deal Heatley before July 1. In his last press conference he said that if anything it'll be training camp before he really has to decide what to do about Heatley.

Even though I think Heatley has an amazing skill set, I'm a little bothered by the fact that he has failed to reach out to Clouston and the Sens about increasing his role for next year, despite the fact that Clouston has taken it personally. I don't necessarily see diminished ice-time and a demotion to the 2nd PP unit as something that can't be fixed easily - it seems as though Heatley really wants out of Ottawa, for one reason or another, and that time is really working against Murray, especially for teams that will be adding significant salary via free agency.
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Apparently he's said he wants to go to the western conference....

Vancouver - has the cap room, even with the Sedins in the fold
Edmonton - has the room, always trying to make a splash
Calgary - If Cammy and Bert go, they still might need to include Phaneuf in a deal
LA - has the room, all kinds of young talent
CBJ - lots of room - imagine Nash + Heater together.
SJ - could want a shake-up after another early exit. Maybe Heater for Joe?
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Yeah his $4 Million bonus, due on the same day as Free agency starts, makes it quite unattractive. I still think he'll get good value, as guys like Hossa, Gaborik and Havlat settle in, teams that miss out might feel more pressure to pull the trigger. The problem for Ottawa, however, is that by trading Heatley they rid themselves of his cap-space they can then use in Free Agency (Bouwmeester), and the longer it takes to deal him the less likely those high-level players will be around.

Could a Heatley-Lecavalier straight up swap be in the making? That would be very interesting.

I'm pretty sure that Ottawa still has a great opportunity to re-tool. There aren't many better scorers out there than Heatley. They could easily get themselves a lottery pick (Colorado...pressure to succeed with declining attendance), or a top-line player/top pairing defenseman and prospect.

Puckhead:
Vancouver- I can't see us taking on his salary unless the Sedin's don't sign. With Luongo and Kesler due for raises next season we just don't have the room to add a long-term deal.
Edmonton- Can't fathom why the guy would waive to go there. But they could get a good deal from them (Cogliano, Visnovsky, etc.)
Calgary - Heatley for Phaneuf? I could definitely see that happening. And that makes Calgary one of the scarier offenses in the league, while still having a solid defensive corps.
LA- All signs point to them making a pitch for Gaborik, who will only cost them cash. Other rumours have them involved with Vinny, and I would take him over Heater.
CBJ- What would they have to give up? Umberger, Brassard and the 16th pick?
SJ- Could definitely happen, but I see them moving Marleau +. Heatley and Thornton would be sick.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

SJ- Could definitely happen, but I see them moving Marleau
Like so many players Marleau has a NMC
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Yeah his $4 Million bonus, due on the same day as Free agency starts, makes it quite unattractive.
Doesn't make him unattractive to me, they aren't my Aquabucks. Hell, doesn't change the cap number, even.

Can't see him fitting in with Cal or Columbus, wouldn't have any chemistry with Iginla or Nash.

Thornton and Heatley would be quite the duo, but the problems there, I think, start with Thornton to some degree.

Edmonton should definitely look into, if he can be persuaded to come there. LA? They have so much talent already there, I wouldn't want to give it up.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

whats Heaters Cap hit?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

His cap hit is $7.5 until 2014/15 when he's a UFA (35 years old pretty sure). It's not quite Lecavalier-esque, but it's darned close.

Toucan, we're lucky we're Canucks fans. There are doubtless some owners in the league looking to ride out the financial storm, and having someone else eat 4 million bucks off your books would make a difference. Think about it, why be in a rush when you could just wait 14 days and have Melnyk (who must be just CHOKED) pay the guy his money to piss off? That also friggs Murray over too, because everyone knows this so he probably won't get any good picks or draft deals, nor will he be able to be a major player July 1 because Heatley technically still counts against them. Wow they're frigged.

And while his cap hit may not change, for teams like Atlanta (obviously not in this case), Nashville, Phoenix (LOL), Buffalo, NYI etc., making a move to get a guy like this not only get you a big surge in fans but also cooks your books a bit, because (like a lot of the front-loaded contracts we're starting to see) the actual pay is less than the cap hit.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Fred wrote:
SJ- Could definitely happen, but I see them moving Marleau
Like so many players Marleau has a NMC
Doesn't kick in until July 1. I can definitely see a Marleau-Heatley swap, but I think it's unlikely. Despite their on-ice success I don't believe San Jose is willing to pay that $4m. I can't imagine their revenues and/or excess cash being too high, especially with a shortened playoff run.

I don't buy the Heatley-Lecavalier rumour because it doesn't make sense financially for the Bolts, and from what I understand, the reason they're dealing Lecavalier is to get rid of his salary. Heatley and Lecavalier's salaries are quite comparable so I don't understand how dealing for Heatley will solve anything.

I think Calgary may be a desired destination but I find it unlikely the Flames would part with Phaneuf - without him the Flames would lack a PP QB and for the past few seasons their PP has been built around his blistering shot. Sarich, Regehr, Vandermeer, and Giordano, the other Flames defensemen under contract, would only form an average defensive corps, nothing the average Western Conference team can't handle.

LA is an interesting choice, but if Heatley's motivation is to win now, and from my understanding it is, then it's not a desired destination. I think the teams that we're really looking to compete with here (if we are in the sweepstakes) are San Jose, Calgary, Chicago, and maybe the Blues, Jackets, Wild, and Oilers.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Do all NMC and NTC clauses have the same 1st July date rule ?

I'll say this for Heatley he's a gunner, much like Hull in his hay day the pucks not on his stick very long, great shooter, Hull Bossy types are pretty rare
cheers
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Fred wrote:Do all NMC and NTC clauses have the same 1st July date rule ?

I'll say this for Heatley he's a gunner, much like Hull in his hay day the pucks not on his stick very long, great shooter, Hull Bossy types are pretty rare
If the NTC/NMC is included in the extension - Marleau's new contract doesn't kick in until July 1. His previous contract did not have one.

Let's also not forget that Hull and Bossy won a few Cups.