**Newsflash** Bettman Sucks & WHA Conspiracy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

**Newsflash** Bettman Sucks & WHA Conspiracy

Post by ClamRussel » Thu May 21, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm getting sick & tired of hearing that guy's rhetoric...I'll definitely do a Snoopy dance when he finally moves on (for the betterment of the NHL).

Talking about Phoenix, he's saying its wrong that certain people have implied they don't deserve a team there. What if teams like Ottawa, Buffalo, Chicago and *gasp* PITTSBURGH had relocated due to a tough stretch. What he conveniently snows over is 1) those cities are all in hockey-belt regions to begin with (unlike Florida, Nashville, Phoenix etc) and 2) Where was this 'patient caring' philosphy when Winnipeg & Quebec City had issues huh?!? He couldn't wait to plunder as many Canadian franchises as quickly as he could.

But Bettman takes his orders from the 'ol Boys Club....and if we remember right, Hartford also moved. Those old school owners *hated* the WHA and often punished players who played there (remember Gretzky not being considered a rookie because he played professional hockey elsewhere? *cough*WHA*cough Well it didn't stop Makarov from winning the Calder as a 30 year old...oh right he didn't get paid to play hockey in Russia, his job was military - right). They just didn't have the balls to relocate Edmonton but those other 3 teams were allowed to move freely because it was still held against them where they came from. In fact it seemed like Bettman "drove them to the airport" without any attempt at saving those franchises.

Now, a few things are working against this move to Hamilton. Top of the list is the NHL seems to have a hate-on for Basilie and don't want him in their club. Bettman would see a move from a US team back to the homeland a backwards move and lets not forget the whinging that is going on from Buffalo. Reports have their federal Senators writing letters to the NHL to prevent such a move. They're so upset because 15-20% of their tickets/merch revenue come from the Hamilton region. Funny how the only other time those crusty old bitches even noticed the NHL was when that "I AM" Molson Canadian ad came out and poked fun at how the Americans view Canadians. Now they're worried about a 15% loss for some boutique wanna-be pro sports team that can't even support itself w/o the help of foreigners. Gee, I wonder if the owner encouraged this letter? :roll:
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: **Newsflash** Bettman Sucks & WHA Conspiracy

Post by Sid Dithers » Thu May 21, 2009 8:52 pm

This Phoenix mess is the beginning of the end for Bettman. The league is having to contribute a lot of dollars to prop up that dead dog in Phoenix. That won't play for long, and sooner rather than later, the rest of the boys are going to say 'enough's enough, get them out of there'. Bettman is the ultimate puppet. He'll have no say, and once the Coyotes move, the dominos will begin falling. Bottom line is that businessmen hate losses, and the Coyotes represent a perpetual loss with no end in sight. Bettman just has to find a way to save face before he'll agree to an arrangement to have them go somewhere else.

I can't stand Bettman because he cannot admit a mistake. David Stern does. If he makes an error, he admits it (perhaps corrects it), and moves on, to the betterment of the NBA. But Bettman ultimately does not care about hockey. It's just the vehicle he drives to placates his ego. It could easily be some other company, but it just happens he runs the NHL, something he doesn't really understand much about even after all these years. No, the day he walks out the door is the day the NHL starts becoming a better entity again. Can't come soon enough for me. And the best part is that his stubbornness to see hockey flourish in all the sunny, southern cities is the rope that he'll hang himself on.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Fri May 22, 2009 12:25 am

Well said, at the very least moving them from the desert back to Winnipeg would at least right one of Bettman's wrongs. The bonus to that move is they wouldn't have to worry about all the whinging coming out of Buffalo.

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Fri May 22, 2009 4:58 am

ClamRussel wrote:Well said, at the very least moving them from the desert back to Winnipeg would at least right one of Bettman's wrongs.
BUt is it really? I really don't know much about Winnepeg, but can they sustain an NHL franchise now? Do they have the corporate sponsorship? I know they have a new'ish arena, but I've heard it only seat 15 000 to 16 000. Is that too little for an NHL franchise these days?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Fri May 22, 2009 5:05 am

If Buttman and the boys had it their way the NHL would expand real quick. His vision of the NHL would be Quebec, Winnipeg and Hamiton would be the 58th, 59th and finally the 60th franchise in the league.

Hockey in Mobile Alabama, Reno Nevada and Europe are potential great franchises before a Canadian city. They would bring in a complicated 82 game schedule that would see hockey run 12 months and 365 days a year.

You wouldn't need a Stanley Cup winner, that would only put a end to financial money coming into the league.

Run the league like a soap opera or wiping your ass with a hula hoop, it just hever ends.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Fri May 22, 2009 6:11 am

Linden Is God wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Well said, at the very least moving them from the desert back to Winnipeg would at least right one of Bettman's wrongs.
BUt is it really? I really don't know much about Winnepeg, but can they sustain an NHL franchise now? Do they have the corporate sponsorship? I know they have a new'ish arena, but I've heard it only seat 15 000 to 16 000. Is that too little for an NHL franchise these days?
How much corporate sponsorship does Phoenix or Nashville get? You don't have to be New York. I'm sure Winnipeg could easily get as much as alot of American franchises where all the dough goes into sports that human beings actually attend like football & baseball. At the very least games in Winnipeg would be very well attended and the arena could be upgraded if need be. People there are nuts about hockey and there's no competition for their sports dollar. The foundation for any NHL franchise should be ATTENDANCE. Once you have that, the corporate money will follow.

Somethings wrong when a sold-out arena isn't enough, pro sport is fucked and they've done it to themselves. Do you think there will be a huge uprising and campaign to save the Coyotes if they intend to leave? There was in Winnipeg and my guess is it will hardly be noticed in the desert. Nor should it be. The NHL has got to start focusing in areas that already are markets instead of trying to conjure markets out of thin air by voodoo marketing.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri May 22, 2009 8:50 am

If Vegas wasn't bleeding so much money right now, they'd be in the process of the building the (formerly) planned arena and the buzz would be to move the Coyotes there - they could even keep the name.

I you're right and this is the beginning of the end for Bettman. He's been playing has game too long and it would be nice to see someone come in and work with players to avoid lockouts, get a TV deal on a real network down here and stop the rich teams from supporting the dying ones.

I think the other leagues are starting to notice how the Phoenix story plays out in terms of how a team can move. Should be an interesting summer.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ » Fri May 22, 2009 9:54 pm

TRUST ME ON THIS KIDS…
WHAT’S AT STAKE TODAY IN A PHOENIX COURT ROOM…IS A LOT MORE THAN JUST…THE FATE OF THE COYOTES…
THIS IS ABOUT WHO RUNS THE NHL…
ON THE SURFACE IT APPEARS THIS FIGHT IS BETWEEN JIM BALSILLIE AND COMMISSIONER GARY BETTMAN…
IN TRUTH…THIS IS A FIGHT BETWEEN JIM BALSILLIE AND THE TORONTO MAPLE Leaves…
THE PRIZE…IS A SHARE OF THE BIGGEST HOCKEY MARKET IN THE WORLD…
TO PUT IT QUITE SIMPLY…THE Leaves DO NOT WANT TO SHARE IT…
AND IT’S BETTMAN’S JOB…TO MAKE SURE THEY DON’T…
LET’S DO THE MATH…
SHOULD THE COYOTES MOVE FROM PHOENIX TO HAMILTON FOR NEXT SEASON…
THE TEAM WOULD TAKE A FRANCHISE LOSING $40 MILLION DOLLARS A SEASON…AND TRANSFORM IT INTO A TEAM GENERATING $200 MILLION DOLLARS A SEASON…
THAT MONEY WOULD FIND ITS WAY INTO THE POCKETS OF EVERY PLAYER AND OWNER IN THE LEAGUE…
SO WHY IS THE NHL FIGHTING WITH A BILLIONAIRE…WHO IS WILLING TO BAIL THEM OUT???
SIMPLE…
BALSILLIE REPRESENTS A CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER TO “THE ESTABLISHMENT” THAT CONTROLS THIS LEAGUE…
A HAND FULL OF OWNERS…SUCH AS ED SNIDER IN PHILADELPHIA…JEREMY JACOBS IN BOSTON…AND ABOVE ALL…
THE TORONTO MAPLE Leaves…
THESE TEAMS ARE THE SINGLE REASON WHY BETTMAN STILL HAS A JOB…
HOWEVER THEY ARE STILL A “MINORITY”…
AND THIS FIGHT OVER THE COYOTES…HAS CERTAINLY RAISED SOME SERIOUS CONCERNS ABOUT THE LEADERSHIP AND DIRECTION OF THE LEAGUE…
KEEP IN MIND…
BEFORE THE LOCK OUT…BETTMAN GUARENTEED THESE OWNERS “COST CERTAINTY”…
NO WHERE IS THAT “FAILURE” MORE EVIDENT…THAN IN PHOENIX…
UNFORTUNATLEY FOR THE NHL…THIS IS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG…
THERE ARE AT LEAST ANOTHER 5 FRANCHISES THAT ARE IN IMMEDIATE NEED OF RE-LOCATION…
THE LIST INCLUDES…ATLANTA…NASHVILLE…FLORIDA…TAMPA BAY AND THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS…
BETTMAN’S VISION OF RAPID EXPANSION AND RELOCATION INTO NON TRADITION MARKETS HAS BLOWN UP IN HIS FACE…
THE LOSSES ARE NOW BEING COUNTED IN THE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS…
ADD IT UP…AND NO MATTER WHO WINS IN COURT TODAY…
BY THE TIME THE SMOKE CLEARS…THIS IS GOING TO COST GARY BETTMAN HIS JOB…

DP
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork » Fri May 22, 2009 10:11 pm

DavidPratt_ wrote:TRUST ME ON THIS KIDS…
Thanks, Dad. I don't think I need to trust you, you are likely correct on all counts.
DavidPratt_ wrote: BY THE TIME THE SMOKE CLEARS…THIS IS GOING TO COST GARY BETTMAN HIS JOB…
When something doesn't make sense, it is always a power struggle behind the scenes going on. Bettman is betting other people's money on being right about his southern expansion fiasco and before too long he will take the blame for costing the owners money. And his vision was obviously flawed.

The best thing for the league (that nobody wants, but it may end up being forced on them) is contraction. 24 teams would be fine with me. Not sure I like the thought of the Islanders going, and I think that is more of a case of an owner running it into the ground. The Islanders need new ownership, not a new location. That is a storied franchise that had a great team and a great coach at one time. Very sad.

Even the Ducks, with a very good team and 2 years from a cup couldn't sell out a playoff game. I don't know if they are losing money, but hockey is on the 27th page of the LA times (if that). Hockey is a non-issue in the US, other than regional pockets of support.

Anyway, a new commissioner could pick up the pieces, contract the league and move franchises from failed markets and start fresh.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Sat May 23, 2009 10:16 am

At the very least games in Winnipeg would be very well attended and the arena could be upgraded if need be. People there are nuts about hockey and there's no competition for their sports dollar. The foundation for any NHL franchise should be ATTENDANCE.
slight correction here... Winnipeg couldn't sell out an arena if it tried. They couldn't even sell out thier last game, and the outpouring of support to keep the team in winnipeg was not as big as people seem to remember. I am not sure if Winnipeg can support a team, or even if the ywant to, but I agree that there is some sort of backroom dealing going on to keep a team out of hamilton, and to Balsie (or whatever his name is) out of the owners circle..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks » Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 am

The establishment has to change. It is rotten. Until the board of governors adopt a completely different attitude, it doesn't matter who is commissioner of the league. The NHL will always be poorly run until the attitude of the establishment changes.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Sun May 24, 2009 4:44 am

Madcombinepilot wrote:
At the very least games in Winnipeg would be very well attended and the arena could be upgraded if need be. People there are nuts about hockey and there's no competition for their sports dollar. The foundation for any NHL franchise should be ATTENDANCE.
slight correction here... Winnipeg couldn't sell out an arena if it tried. They couldn't even sell out thier last game, and the outpouring of support to keep the team in winnipeg was not as big as people seem to remember. I am not sure if Winnipeg can support a team, or even if the ywant to, but I agree that there is some sort of backroom dealing going on to keep a team out of hamilton, and to Balsie (or whatever his name is) out of the owners circle..
Sorry, don't buy it. Not sure if you're talking regular season or playoffs but both of these games look & sound sold-out to me...I doubt there's empty seats, but if there are there isn't many.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRvpJUCUozg last reg season game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61DQc_sz ... re=related last game ever/playoffs

So whats a sellout really anyways? Nashville giving away thousands of free tickets? 2 for 1 deals at various US markets? How about Detroit announcing a sellout when they only had 8,000 come through the turnstiles (couldn't compete w/ the Tigers). Is it bums in the seats, paid tickets and does it include promotional deals? In Gary Bettman's world its whatever puts a better spin on it and pads his stats.
http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... dance.aspx
http://proicehockey.about.com/b/2006/10 ... umbers.htm

Here's the NHL's Bullshit numbers, no way in Hell does Nashville average 15,000+ per game, same with Florida, Phoenix & Atlanta. Thats crap. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Anyways, all this is besides the point. The year the Jets left they averaged 13,200 per game and the NHL average was 14,797. Hardly poorly attended for an arena that had 800 seats that had obstructed views. The Jets not having fan or corporate support is a myth thats debunked here: http://www.manitobamythbusters.com/php/ ... on=112:101

It was about an arena plain & simple, they were in the same situation the Canucks were in with the PNE (paid rent and got no revenue from parking, concessions & alcohol etc). The Canucks got out of it but it costs the Griffiths their family's legacy as Canuck owners. I guarantee you if that Winnipeg rink was upgraded it could support the Jets there. They certainly wouldn't be in the position that all these bogus American franchises are in.

One thing I know for sure is the Jets did *not* get the NHL's support that all these Bettman "plants" are getting. There was little to no effort to keep them there, in fact it appeared they wanted them out of Canada.

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Sun May 24, 2009 7:16 am

Has there been a potential owner in Winnipeg that is dieing to move a team there? I haven't heard of anyone rumored to want a team? Winnipeg has loud and great fans, but from I have heard is the city wouldn't have the corporate support to run a real successfull franchise.

Winnipeg could handle a franchise better than most U.S. sunbelt citys no problem, but it wouldn't have the nearly the same revenue as the other six current franchises or Hamilton.

It's time for new blood and Buttman should be gone, but with his nose up the owners ass is there enough support to get rid of him?
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler » Sun May 24, 2009 10:52 am

If I remember correctly,the Jets owner Barry Shenkarow tried to find alternative ownership for over a year, during which time there was a half-season lockout which effectivly killed all prospective local bids,at which time the NHL decided to move them to Phoenix. And I'm pretty sure MCP is right about them not even able to sell out their last game.

The ONLY way a franchise will work in Winnipeg is with local ownership.

In regards to Balsille moving a franchise into Hamilton there are 2 major problems:

1) The Leaves & Sabre's will scream about losing customers(not that it's an issue w/Leaves)

2) If the league where to let another team into that area,it would command a far greater franchise fee than the $225 Mill. Balsille offered Coyote ownership, of which the league would see none of.
Loui is tougher to get rid of than ear hair

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Sun May 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Jovorock wrote:Has there been a potential owner in Winnipeg that is dieing to move a team there? I haven't heard of anyone rumored to want a team? Winnipeg has loud and great fans, but from I have heard is the city wouldn't have the corporate support to run a real successfull franchise.

Winnipeg could handle a franchise better than most U.S. sunbelt citys no problem, but it wouldn't have the nearly the same revenue as the other six current franchises or Hamilton.

It's time for new blood and Buttman should be gone, but with his nose up the owners ass is there enough support to get rid of him?
Fair enough but why is that the standard Winnipeg is held too? There's no way they could have the same support larger centers do like Van or TO...if they're a better alternative to roughly 10 American cities that have teams that should be the criteria. They'd probably be on par with Buffalo which relies on Canadian fans to pad their bottom line.