Page 1 of 1

Would You support replacement Players if the $$ was right?

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:06 pm
by mattola
I do not think the average fan in the US would even know the difference in play. Canada would be tough to adjust to it, but wewould in the long run accept it and grow with it. Seriously if the money for the tickets is dramatically reduced I would pay for replacement players. As a ticket holder I am looking for the Stanley Cup in this city. Players come and go over time and while I enjoy watching them and their skill I still only cheer for one thing and one thing only... The Canucks. Not The Bertuzzi, The Linden, or The Naslund.. The Canucks.

The talent would be watered down however the team concepts could be exciting. The players would be hungry to play and compete and it would be decent hockey. Not what we are used to but it wouldnt be terrible.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:06 pm
by Fred
I think I would knowing that within a year most players would be returning any way. Where else do they go ? they play in Europe at one tenth the salary and live away from home, with all those expenses. Right now the PA has it's head that deeply buried in the sand I have to believe they are loosing or have lost site of what is best for the membership

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:24 pm
by Mozy
i would because i know this cant last forever and im getting really desperate :mrgreen:

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:57 am
by Cookie La Rue
With a heavy heart i would but just if that wouldn't last for ever and the real players are returning sooner or later ;)
I guess that's desperation :mrgreen:

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:39 am
by Jovorock
Like the NFL a few years ago, if the NHL opened up for business with replacements the regular players would start to crumble. It happened in the NFL, guys like Steve Largent started coming back to play football, then all of a sudden the union gave in and settled the strike.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:57 am
by Madcombinepilot
Makes you wonder who would be the first to cross the line.....

Roenick? or one of the other 'bubba's collapsible knee club' members who spoke out (and quickly were "misquoted") earlier in the year?

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:44 am
by mattola
Madcombinepilot wrote:Makes you wonder who would be the first to cross the line.....

Roenick? or one of the other 'bubba's collapsible knee club' members who spoke out (and quickly were "misquoted") earlier in the year?
my guess would be Jagr. he would be over in a heartbeat. being the star of stars and lighting it up on poor Fat Goalies.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:38 am
by Grizzly
I almost would just because I understand that the NHL needs to revise their economic structure and that maybe it could be a means to the end ...

... meaning ... if thats what it would take (using replacement players) for the NHLPA to realize that there is a problem with the current economic structure and to get something figured out so we see hockey again then so be it ...

Grizz

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:20 pm
by Reverend Smack
Mattola wrote:
Players come and go over time and while I enjoy watching them and their skill I still only cheer for one thing and one thing only... The Canucks. Not The Bertuzzi, The Linden, or The Naslund.. The Canucks.
That says it all. There is no doubt in my mind that players will scury back if replacement players were used. I know I would not want to forgo 1.3 mill a year( thats what the average salary was supposed to be under a new deal). The players better realize the fans cheer for the team more than the individual player. Fan favorites come and go every year.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:26 pm
by svts
Reverend Smack wrote:Mattola wrote:
Players come and go over time and while I enjoy watching them and their skill I still only cheer for one thing and one thing only... The Canucks. Not The Bertuzzi, The Linden, or The Naslund.. The Canucks.
That says it all. There is no doubt in my mind that players will scury back if replacement players were used. I know I would not want to forgo 1.3 mill a year( thats what the average salary was supposed to be under a new deal). The players better realize the fans cheer for the team more than the individual player. Fan favorites come and go every year.
...and guys get called up from the minors every year to play a couple of games to fill in for injuries, etc. Fans don't demand a refund because Nazzy was injured or Bert was suspended.

They also pay to watch exhibition games.......

And the All-Star Game ratings are in a continual decline, and those are supposed to be the very best of the best, and the game is treated with a big fat yawn.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:43 pm
by mattola
Reverend Smack wrote:Mattola wrote:
Players come and go over time and while I enjoy watching them and their skill I still only cheer for one thing and one thing only... The Canucks. Not The Bertuzzi, The Linden, or The Naslund.. The Canucks.
That says it all. There is no doubt in my mind that players will scury back if replacement players were used. I know I would not want to forgo 1.3 mill a year( thats what the average salary was supposed to be under a new deal). The players better realize the fans cheer for the team more than the individual player. Fan favorites come and go every year.
I also believe that a strong showing of fans for replacement players will speak the LOUDEST message of all for these millionaires made from our pockets.. and that is. YOU ARE NOT BIGGER THAN THE GAME.... ever..

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:31 pm
by Mozy
and it will also make the PA realize these guys dont care if we dont come back.... we better get our ass in gear if we want our jobs back

Re: Would You support replacement Players if the $$ was righ

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:24 pm
by dangler
mattola wrote: The talent would be watered down however the team concepts could be exciting. The players would be hungry to play and compete and it would be decent hockey. Not what we are used to but it wouldnt be terrible.
Rev Smack wrote: [b wrote:Fan favorites come and go every year
Fred wrote: I almost would just because I understand that the NHL needs to revise their economic structure and that maybe it could be a means to the end [/b]
I have to agree w/these statements even though I am the only one out of 16 who voted not to support replacement players.

If replacement's do come about for the start of the '05/'06 season I believe there will be adequate fan support initialy,but if the NHLPA stands firm until Dec./Jan. the support will taper off, especially if they are able to successfully market themselves either in existing Euro-leagues w/ N.American affiliates or a new league (WHA, ??,not likely,but could happen).things could swing the other way and the season would be rather pathetic either way.
I do believe that the NHLPA will definately have had enough by the start of the '06/'07 season and everyone left will be lacin them up in the NHL, the league will have to rebuild and work extremely hard to get back the support they will have lost.

"quality sells, shit smells"

NHL hockey seems destined to inflict major damage upon itself and I'm wondering if we're only half-way there

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:01 pm
by Mozy
theres a garuntee that there is going to be hockey next year, however at this point in time it looks like its going to be replacements, in all honesty i would not be surprised if we had a couple of years of replacement players because this wretched thign has no end in sight