Can we catch the Hawks?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Can we catch the Hawks?

Post by Madcombinepilot » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:07 am

I do have confidernce in this team. yes we play down to opponents, but who doesn't? it's human nature. With the right motivation/leadership (which I think this teams has) we can do it. we have a favorable schedule down the stretch, and if we win a few key games that breaks a lot of 'past jinx' (like beating Colorado for a change), we can do great things.

No, we will not win every game, and in the last 10 games, we shall suffer from 'Canucks reffing' again, (all the phantom calls against.. if fact, they are already starting), but the mix of the leaders on this team is very good, so we might be able to play through.

Calgary is suffereing the bug, and if they play 500 hockey, we simply need to win 2 games more than 500 to catch them. not so hard.

Dreaming big costs the same as dreaming small. try it.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:37 pm

I've been "dreaming big" of a Canucks Stanley Cup win for 39 years now. There's a big difference between dreaming and reality.
I guess I'm having a hard time being confident in this team partly because of the stench of January '09, partly because of last years meltdown and partly because of the historical results of years past, '82 and '94 aside.

I'm probably not very confident because of the inconsistancies that the team has shown all year long. I would be more positive if we were more consistant on special teams. I would share your views if the Sedins didn't choke the last two years at the end of the season, if Sundin looked even close to his old self,if Demitra tried a little harder on a regular basis,if the 3rd and 4th lines chipped in more regularly, if we played a solid 60 minute game once in a while and lastly, if Roberto looked like he was ready to play a game without letting in 1 or 2 weak goals.

Now, I'm not all doom and gloom. I think we'll make the playoffs. If some of my points above change I think we'll have a good chance to make some noise in the post season.
I'm just not so sure that many of those things will change.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:43 pm

woodhog wrote: I guess I'm having a hard time being confident in this team partly because of the stench of January '09, partly because of last years meltdown and partly because of the historical results of years past, '82 and '94 aside.
You wouldn't be a Canucks fan if you didn't feel that way. ;)

You can't look to the playoffs this year without looking to past. To me, the biggest problem is special teams. I'd like to see this team at least get a better power play together.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:11 am

2 big "ifs" - Sundin and Luongo plus 2 small ones ( Rypien and Hansen ).. Both Sundin and Luongo are underacheiving now but the team is finding ways to win ( kudo's Burrows and Kesler ).. IF the 2 "stars" play up to their billing we got a good shot at overtaking Chicago and maybe even take a run at the Flames.. Add Hansen and/or Rypien to the 3rd / 4th line and sit Raymond plus a 4th liner and the team looks good enough for a long playoff run.. The D looks decent ... IF Sundin improves to his former self.. it will put more pressure on the opps resulting in the Sedin's getting a little more room and they just might get a few goals instead of folding under pressure.. 2 solid scoring lines are tough to defend against.. Rypien provides high energy and Hanson decent checking skills. Raymond is just filling space now..

Dammm it woodhog .. we gotta better shot than we had in 82 :) ( course I would love to see a modern day Tiger Williams in the line up )..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(

ClamRussel
CC Legend

The standings are a joke

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:45 am

Sorry, but I'm getting sick of the annual playoff race congestion. Its a facade. Its not real, its fabricated. Why don't they just make every team get 3 points every game (for trying) and be done with it. THAT would really prove we now have parity and can expand even more. You'd think a tighter playoff race would be more exciting but its not, it bores me. Wake me up when the playoffs start.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/standings/conference

For the love of God, please go back to TWO points per game or at least make EVERY game worth 3 so we can have true representation of what the league really is. If Bettman ran Jenny Craig he'd fix every scale to show weight loss each time you stood on it regardless. Woohooo!!!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Dallas game just over.. tied with Chi town... but they got a game in hand :).. Vancouver looking confident and strong.. Yep we can and will catch Chicago.. and take a run at the division lead .. Sorry Clam but this is getting interesting .. This years Canucks just might be contenders.. haven't seen that for many years !!

Goooooooooooo Canucks.....

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Dallas game just over.. tied with Chi town... but they got a game in hand :).. Vancouver looking confident and strong.. Yep we can and will catch Chicago.. and take a run at the division lead .. Sorry Clam but this is getting interesting .. This years Canucks just might be contenders.. haven't seen that for many years !!

Goooooooooooo Canucks.....

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:18 am

hmmm.. tied with the hawks.. 3 points behind the Flames... I never thought I would find myself cheering for Dallas (I still suffer residual Brett Hull Hate), so seeing as I don't want anyone to win the Calgay - dallas game tonight, the best I can hope for is that Calgary loses... ( I am a confused soul).
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:24 am

Madcombinepilot wrote:the best I can hope for is that Calgary loses... ( I am a confused soul).
...in regulation.

Plus, you want to root for the BJ's tonight too. :oops:
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:hmmm.. tied with the hawks.. 3 points behind the Flames... I never thought I would find myself cheering for Dallas (I still suffer residual Brett Hull Hate), so seeing as I don't want anyone to win the Calgay - dallas game tonight, the best I can hope for is that Calgary loses... ( I am a confused soul).

If it makes you feel better, Brett Hull played for the Flames, too. :D
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:33 am

lol.. I don't reasons to hate the flames :)

Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:01 pm

The question now becomes, can the Hawks catch us? ;)

LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by LotusBlossom » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:39 am

Hey everyone:

It's been nice taking a couple games here in Vancouver. It's been even nicer seeing the Canucks find ways to win. God I miss hearing "LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" live. It's been good. God I miss watching hockey at GM Place.

Just a few things.

1) I agree with Clam in regards to the three point game system. It is like cheating on a diet in so many ways. It's like fudging those pounds that a person is losing on a Jenny Craig diet. It's flawed. Bettman doesn't seem to care...*sighs*

2) It was nice to see May Ray break out of his slump. He has been playing better,but he hasn't broken out like some predicted this year.

3) Roberto Luongo is hitting his stride. He didn't he have to be spectacular last night, but he was very good with the angles and rebounds. Luongo is starting to trust his D more and was in better position last night to shut down the Blues.

Yes Chicago is looking up at the Canucks right now, but as we have seen in the past, that could easily be changed, especially in the west. This is the time to put the peddle to the metal and keep the momentum going. With the way the Canucks have been playing as of late and hope they continue it down this stretch, I don't see Calgary being that far-fetched either.

This is the first time in a long time I have been excited about the Canucks chances in the post-season. Maybe I am being premature in my statement,but I had a feeling about this team, as I have had all season, even during the that slump the Canucks had with an injured Luongo. Can't put my finger on it, but I like their chances.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:31 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:Yes Chicago is looking up at the Canucks right now, but as we have seen in the past, that could easily be changed, especially in the west.
Well said, it'll be very interesting to see our team in the playoffs.

Last season they had won 4 = 8 points in the last 11 games. (Pointwise similar to the slump before the allstargame 7 points but just one win in 11 games.) Even if they'll do just the same i guess they're in with 93 points. But who's thinking about that right now... :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:11 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:This is the first time in a long time I have been excited about the Canucks chances in the post-season. Maybe I am being premature in my statement,but I had a feeling about this team, as I have had all season, even during the that slump the Canucks had with an injured Luongo. Can't put my finger on it, but I like their chances.
I share this sentiment. This team, seems, different somehow even from the Crawford-era WCE, and it goes beyond just having Luongo. The d is healthy and we have some decent backfills in Vaananen and Davison in case of emergency; the forwards have been getting catalyzed by the likes of Burrows and Kesler; even MayRay seems to be out of his funk now... I can't recall having so much depth at C that are also more than competent in winning faceoffs, and we have Hansen, and Rypien ready to step in as-needed... . And as if that were not enough, Luongo is there, with Barbie ready to step in, To top it off, the Moose are themselves heading into the AHL postseason as the best team in that league... The team seems to be thriving under AV, and making the right adjustments as each game progresses.

Two years ago, this team went as far as Luongo could carry them... This season... I think he really has a much stronger supporting cast that believes in themselves.