Trade deadline

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade deadline

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Would love to see Neil in a Canucks uniform but the market for him is retardedly high. For what he brings to the table, you're probably looking at giving up Pyatt plus a pick. I don't really think they'd want Pyatt either...

I don't think Ohlund will be traded. I think he probably SHOULD be, considering we probably don't want to sign him. The problem is we're kind of a short-term team right now and losing a guy of that calibre on the back end isn't an option.

I wouldln't mind trying to get Marchant or Moen or Montador out of Anaheim, that team is probably going to be selling and I think if you get in early at some people not named Pronger there might be a deal or two to be had.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

The idea of another depth d for me works, of course it would be great to add another top six forward or puck moving d man but i think getting more depth could do well. We all saw what happend the last time we were in the playoffs. we lost pretty much every good grinder we had. That was tough, thats why i would be so high on a guy like Neil or Lapariere and then would love to get a d that has been used to playing on a top six most of the year like say if we scavange from Anaheim there is Montador.. although i don't enjoy his 5 mins for losing... and Kent Huskins. they are both ufas and plus players. Anyways yeah i would be happy if Gillis settled for more depth.. but i keep hearing from others sources that Gillis is looking to be a buyer at the deadline.

Just also read that Steve Begin might be avalible. He might not be a bad guy, he is a hard working grinder.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Would love to see Neil in a Canucks uniform but the market for him is retardedly high. For what he brings to the table, you're probably looking at giving up Pyatt plus a pick. I don't really think they'd want Pyatt either...

I don't think Ohlund will be traded. I think he probably SHOULD be, considering we probably don't want to sign him. The problem is we're kind of a short-term team right now and losing a guy of that calibre on the back end isn't an option.

I wouldln't mind trying to get Marchant or Moen or Montador out of Anaheim, that team is probably going to be selling and I think if you get in early at some people not named Pronger there might be a deal or two to be had.
Frankly I'd still rather see a Colby Armstrong type plays tough andhas 15 goals + 10 in 61 games so far for Atl. and then when the season is over dump Pyatt and sign Armstrong. Neil is more Hordichuk type and we have him signed for what another 2 seasons. Neil scored 6 goals last season in 68 games & is paid currently $1.1 and will be looking for the same or better.

Then sign a 7th "D" for the run. I think we have enough forwards from Manitoba to fill in on the 3 & 4th lines
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Oh don't get me wrong Fred, I would much rather have Armstrong as well. I just don't want to pay for him. His asking price will be considerably more, and I don't think I'd want Gillis paying it for a rental. If we don't give up a lot for a Marchant, I think he's a more beneficial addition... then signing Armstrong in the offseason would be fantastic.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

If Demitra is out with a broken finger ... I would bet Gillis will be looking a little harder now to pick up a player or two. I agree he won't be looking at a rental player however I think he may be forced to do something a little more than he would otherwise do. Playoff race is too tight just to sit back and watch ...

Grizz
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

I like how much the mood has changed from a month ago with the team suddenly on a roll. Now its more like "We have all the parts for a good cup run" I think we might be overestimating ourselves just a tad. Still though you guys are right, nothing comes cheap and trades for the sake of trades are stupid.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Grizzly wrote:If Demitra is out with a broken finger ... I would bet Gillis will be looking a little harder now to pick up a player or two. I agree he won't be looking at a rental player however I think he may be forced to do something a little more than he would otherwise do. Playoff race is too tight just to sit back and watch ...
Grizz

Gillis is a lawyer, and therefore has conservative vibes knocked into him from the word go.

I bet he does nothing rashly. My money is on no move or a minor move. In fact, I would bet big that a blockbuster will NOT happen. Probably a wise move at this point. Either we win with what we've got or we won't (we won't).

If you weren't a Canucks fan I think you'd be surprised if we made it out of the first. On that basis, no trades.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

BingoTough wrote: If you weren't a Canucks fan I think you'd be surprised if we made it out of the first. On that basis, no trades.
Most of my non-Canuck friends (Oiler fans mostly), think that the West is so tight on any given night, the hot team will win. Assuming one gets hot at the right time, aside from San Jose, any team from 2-8 could probably win a series. I think whoever runs into San Jose is going to have a really tough time.

As far as our deadline day, I think it's going to be quiet as usual. There's not many deals to be had, and I can't imagine Gillis trying too many lateral moves. I can't see him trying to shake up the roster, it's just not worth it. Aside from a depth forward or defenseman, we'll ride it out and sink or swim with the team we have.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Most of my non-Canuck friends (Oiler fans mostly), think that the West is so tight on any given night, the hot team will win.
True- except for San Jose, is there any team in the west that we couldn't beat in a seven games series? (Assuming we're still on a roll come playoff time).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

I think Calgary would be tough. I would rather meet Detroit to be honest. Calgary has been playing some great hockey, and their style and ours go hand in hand but I think they are a more physical, playoff-built team.

Still, I think all roads lead through San Jose at some point.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I think Calgary would be tough. I would rather meet Detroit to be honest. Calgary has been playing some great hockey, and their style and ours go hand in hand but I think they are a more physical, playoff-built team.

Still, I think all roads lead through San Jose at some point.
San Jose has 6 losses (4 in OT/SO) against 5 wins in February. Still a respectable 14 points out of a possible 22, but they are not as hot as they were.

Detroit is still the team to beat in my opinion. San Jose will still have previous failures on their mind, and if they are not careful they could be beat by Dallas or Calgary.

We play well against Detroit, and I would prefer us playing Detroit rather than San Jose.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

As for depth Dman, I think picking up Dandenault out of Montreal would be a good idea. He can play D effectively or on the bottom 6 (another need that has been mentioned around here). I bet he could be picked up for a minimal draft pick.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Icebreaka wrote:I like how much the mood has changed from a month ago with the team suddenly on a roll. Now its more like "We have all the parts for a good cup run" I think we might be overestimating ourselves just a tad. Still though you guys are right, nothing comes cheap and trades for the sake of trades are stupid.
Not sure if anyone is saying "Cup Run" but it does look brighter...nothing wrong with being optimistic with your team. Even with the rough patch, I was still hoping they would snap out of it and saw positives in the losses during that spell.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
displacednucksfan
CC Rookie

Post by displacednucksfan »

Hi folks, new to this. Could we get Brind'mour? Any NTC in his contract? Logic goes like this. He can fill in Sundin's shoes if Sundin does not resign. If the sisters don't resign there is less of a gaping hole to fill. For the playoffs, roll the first three lines which the third line would be Pyatt(Raymond), Brind'mour, Bernier. He's sign til 2011. Ohlund looks like he's leaving so that frees up cap space for next year. To get him we would trade 1st round pick which would be later in the round Wellwood( salary dump),Grabner. If Sundin or the sisters don't resign, we see if we can pick sign him again. We still have a bit of depth with Hansen and Raymond. Could this be done or have I been smok'n too much crack? Flame away
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sold on Brind'Amour as a long term player. He'd be great as a rental, but his offense is dropping off and he's -30 this year.

I think that if we lose Sundin, both Sedins, Ohlund and more, we'll be looking at a totally new look next year. I'm guessing that Gillis will go young, Canadian and tough to replace the Swedish national team.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."