Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Post by Grizzly »

Joe Rockhead wrote:I've heard conflicting reports on this Grizz. One (1040) mentioned 6mill, another (tsn) said 2.5. Most likley somwhere in the middle. Still enough to go for a top sixer at the deadline.

So lets start looking at teams that ain't goin' to the show and see who we can take and for what! Being a hockey fan when your team still has cap room is fun!
A passing D-man as some suggestions have been made would be good ... especially as Salo is so fragile ... I had heard rumours before of Kovalchuk ..... Atlanta's going nowhere ... wonder if he would be up for 6 or so ?? Maybe another small move by Gillis to free up a little more room if needed ... I like how solid our defence is now ... so Kov. could be a good pick up for some more offense .... although I have heard he may be a bit of a whiner.

Grizz
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Joe Rockhead wrote:Mike Gillis taught aspiring G.M's a lesson with the sighning of Mats Sundin to Vancouver. Had Pat Quinn and Gorge McPhee followed this lesson Wayne Gretzky could have been a Canuck!
Thats a VERY misinformed statement. It was NOT Quinn and McPhee who did that but rather McCaw's represenative (if it wasn't McCammon then it was the "Gasman"). Quinn and McPhee were involved in the negotiations but then McCaw's man made the call (rumours have it quite late at night as well) saying here's your deadline take it or leave it. Allegedly McCaw and his cronies thought Quinn's approach (much like Gillis') was not right and Gretzky was merely using this deal to bargain for a better one w/ New York.

Because Gretz balked and went to NY McCaw wanted revenge and went hard after Messier for a little Big Apple revenge.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Grizzly wrote:
Joe Rockhead wrote:I've heard conflicting reports on this Grizz. One (1040) mentioned 6mill, another (tsn) said 2.5. Most likley somwhere in the middle. Still enough to go for a top sixer at the deadline.

So lets start looking at teams that ain't goin' to the show and see who we can take and for what! Being a hockey fan when your team still has cap room is fun!
A passing D-man as some suggestions have been made would be good ... especially as Salo is so fragile ... I had heard rumours before of Kovalchuk ..... Atlanta's going nowhere ... wonder if he would be up for 6 or so ?? Maybe another small move by Gillis to free up a little more room if needed ... I like how solid our defence is now ... so Kov. could be a good pick up for some more offense .... although I have heard he may be a bit of a whiner.

Grizz
Personally I wouldn't touch Kovalchuk. He's a phenonemal talent but I get the impression that he's a bit of a primadonna and certainly is not a player who has much track record of success in the playoffs. Although I agree, his relatively weak trade value may make such a move tempting. Still, I just don't think you win with guys like that.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If he didn't cost too much Kovolchuk, I'd have no hesitatin to add him to the team.

He could be a classic case of needing new scenery. He's been stuck in a town that doesn't give a shit about the team - the same team can only be described as perennial losers. He could provide the extra offense that's needed and bolstered by a team that beleives in himself.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Cornuck wrote:If he didn't cost too much Kovolchuk, I'd have no hesitatin to add him to the team.

He could be a classic case of needing new scenery. He's been stuck in a town that doesn't give a shit about the team - the same team can only be described as perennial losers. He could provide the extra offense that's needed and bolstered by a team that beleives in himself.
I'd pick Kovalchuk up in a freaking heartbeat. Unbelievably talented, and I don't go for the primadonna thing. He's stuck in hockey purgatory in Atlanta. Get him up here in a hockey environment on a decent team and the guy would be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Sure would, but how much do they want? I wouldn't be opposed to going pretty far with an offer as this is the best chance we're going to have for a long, long time.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I've heard that we have between 2 to 3 million left in cap space which if left until the deadline would be the equivalent of 6 million dollars. If the Wild slip then Gaborik could be had as he won't be re-signing with them it appears. I would love this forward line-up now;

Sedin-Sedin-Wellwood
Demitra-Sundin-Bernier
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Hordichuk-Johnson-Pyatt

with Rypien, Brown in reserve to fill in for those Calgary type encounters. Yeah I know I haven't mentioned Raymond. I think I would send him down for a few weeks at least until he started putting the puck in the net. All speed no finish doesn't cut it in the show.

Let AV run with whoever is hot as the #1 line.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Wouldn't mind the idea of signing Shanahan for the PP and leadership. The guy is money w/ the extra man. He'd be great if used properly, has CUP experience and is solid in the room. I believe he's asking 1.5, for that I'd do it!

Sedin Sedin Wellwood
Demitra Sundin Bernier
Burrows Kesler Pyatt (Hansen)
Shanahan Johnson Hordichuk

PP1 Shanahan Sundin Demitra
PP2 Wellwood Sedin Sedin
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Funny how all of the Nonis apologists who were so devastated when that fat pile of shit got fired have now scattered to their holes or changed their tune. I got a kick out of all of the whining and crying when Gillis got hired and that Nonis got a raw deal.

If Big Dave had still been running things we would likely still have Morrison, would have probably traded our 1st round pick( this was rumored by Nonis's media puppet..........bye bye Cody Hodgson) for Cammalerri, signed Brunnstrom and would likely not have dealt for Bernier and O'Brien. Cowan would likely be our tough guy and Davison and Hordichuk would likely have signed elsewhere. Krapjeck would likely still be coughing up the puck and getting worked over in front of his own net. Nonis didn't like having a big, tough team so the Canucks would still be getting bounced around the rink like they did in the three previous seasons. Obviously it is impossible to predict all of this but I think we can all agree that this team would definitley not have the toughness and size it currently posesses.

The firing of Dave Nonis is the biggest reason for this team's turnaround.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Funny how all of the Nonis apologists who were so devastated when that fat pile of shit got fired have now scattered to their holes or changed their tune. I got a kick out of all of the whining and crying when Gillis got hired and that Nonis got a raw deal.

If Big Dave had still been running things we would likely still have Morrison, would have probably traded our 1st round pick( this was rumored by Nonis's media puppet..........bye bye Cody Hodgson) for Cammalerri, signed Brunnstrom and would likely not have dealt for Bernier and O'Brien. Cowan would likely be our tough guy and Davison and Hordichuk would likely have signed elsewhere. Krapjeck would likely still be coughing up the puck and getting worked over in front of his own net. Nonis didn't like having a big, tough team so the Canucks would still be getting bounced around the rink like they did in the three previous seasons. Obviously it is impossible to predict all of this but I think we can all agree that this team would definitley not have the toughness and size it currently posesses.

Merry Christmas to you Blob :P
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

While I felt Nonis didn't get a fair chance to upgrade the forwards due to cap restrictions,in hindsight the Aquilinis did the right thing considering how last season ended. Some of yourpredictions are way off though'

still have Morrison-probably

traded the 1st round pick-%100 B.S.,Nonis and every other G.M. in the league had realised that the way to build a team was through good drafting and good player development.I don't believe this for a second

signed Brunnstrom=yup

Cowan would be our toughguy-No,he had already proven he was not capable of that job and any other productive role for that matter.It was obvious at that point that the team needed to upgrade their toughness and Nonis would have dealt with that.

Some things that Gillis has done that Nonis wouldn't have IMO:

Sundin-A $10 mill. offer was pretty ballsy and I believe Nonis would have been significantly more conservative in his offer

Addressing AV's coaching style-Gillis's Las Vegas getaway with Vigneualt was in Gillis's eyes his biggest accomplishment so far(As he stated on HNIC after hours)and it seems the gm & coach are definately on the same page now.

I will agree though the Nonis firing was neccesary and is the biggest reason for the teams turnaround
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Merry Christmas to you Blob
Isn't he one of the worlds hidden gems, humble, happy, cheerful. ;)
cheers
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

Clam I'M positive I heard it was McPhee that called Gretzky and gave him the now or never ultimatum. Now that being said I could be wrong, your post makes it clear that you are sure of yourself.

Yes Blob Nonis was unapolegetic about his failures as the Canucks G.M. He gets credit for leaving the team in a somewhat decent situation but I tend to think thats only because he got fired before he could screw it up.
Don Cherry for P.M.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Joe Rockhead wrote:Clam I'M positive I heard it was McPhee that called Gretzky and gave him the now or never ultimatum. Now that being said I could be wrong, your post makes it clear that you are sure of yourself.

Yes Blob Nonis was unapolegetic about his failures as the Canucks G.M. He gets credit for leaving the team in a somewhat decent situation but I tend to think thats only because he got fired before he could screw it up.
I tried to look it up but couldn't dig up any decent links. I found message boards discussing it (hardly worth quoting/linking) where one says it was Quinn himself and the other says it was the "Gasman." I was pretty sure it was McCammon but now am having doubts as to who it really was. There was an article on it in a Vancouver paper years ago that went over it in detail (probably Gallagher but maybe McIntyre). I'd really like find who it was now.

Just think of the ramifications on the franchise this call had. If Gretzky comes here then there's no rabid pursuit of Messier the following season...ergo, Linden is never traded (retires having only played as a Canuck AND as doesn't get disgraced by having to give up his captaincy) and Bure most likely stays here. There is no Bertuzzi incident so we probably don't end up with Luongo...Keenan is most likely never hired and with Gretzky centering Mogilny & Bure that fiasco w/ Quinn getting sacked (and then offered a job right away) never happens. We proabably don't have the Sedins now but then again we wouldn't have suffered through the Cloutier goal as he wouldn't have been traded for. Who knows who we'd have instead of all these guys but one thing for sure the team would look a helluva lot different today. I'm thinking the past decade would have been alot less sufferable.

What a disfunctional organization ever since the moment Grifiths decided to go NBA and let McCaw in the front door.

Here's an article (speculating) just prior to the signing: http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/spo ... te_co.html
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:
Merry Christmas to you Blob
Isn't he one of the worlds hidden gems, humble, happy, cheerful. ;)

I'm extremely happy and cheerful. You still bitter about that Dion comment Fred ?? 8-) You make me sound like the 2nd coming of SRsez. I guess you can always ignore my comments if you find that they are a little too colorful for you. There are plenty of vanilla posters here. 8-)

I gave Dave Nonis credit when he deserved it, but missing the playoffs two out of three seasons is not exactly a success. He made a great trade for Luongo and did sign Mitchell. But other that he didn't do too much. He did have a decent draft year in 04, certainly better than anything his predecessor could muster, but the guy didn't seem to have the moxie or testicular fortitiude to make a big splash.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”