Schneider to start

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Schneider to start

Postby BingoTough » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Schneider was given the word by Canuck coach Alain Vigneault at this morning's game-day skate.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... b40f558cbb
I wonder if they'll disallow the whole game because of the distinct ass-kicking motion the Canucks used on the Kings? - Brian CC

Congratulations on the new job dave, try not to fuck it up this time eh? - UKCanuck
User avatar
BingoTough
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:16 am

Re: Schneider to start

Postby levelheaded » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:07 pm

Not a fan of this move at all. I don't blame Sanford for the loss, and throwing Schneider into a huge divisional game is a great way to kill his confidence. I mean I guess it has the potential to be a huge boost for him, but in reality I think he'll suffer because of it. Our next game is against Columbus on the road, surely an easier, less important opponent would've been better for him...
User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Re: Schneider to start

Postby Cornuck » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:21 pm

Can't wait - I'll be listening to the game and think he'll do fine.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4937
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Chester, NE

Re: Schneider to start

Postby Mikodat » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Start of a road trip against a decent team... good chance for Schneider to show his stuff.. It isn't like we are putting him in against a top team.. But better to find out what we got now at the start of the trip. Sanfords done well so far but it would be nice to have options in goal and the rookie just might be ready for the big show.. can't wait to find out.. We been talking about him for 2 years.. ITS TIME !!
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
User avatar
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Victoria

Re: Schneider to start

Postby Sid Dithers » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:28 pm

levelheaded wrote:Not a fan of this move at all. I don't blame Sanford for the loss, and throwing Schneider into a huge divisional game is a great way to kill his confidence. I mean I guess it has the potential to be a huge boost for him, but in reality I think he'll suffer because of it. Our next game is against Columbus on the road, surely an easier, less important opponent would've been better for him...


I don't blame Sanford for the loss either. But if he's so fragile that his confidence takes a hit by sitting for a night, then he's ultimately not very dependable. Schneider was playing well before he got called up, so throw the kid in there before he gets rusty.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
User avatar
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C.

Re: Schneider to start

Postby the toucan kid » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Don't worry about Sandford, he's being paid to be the backup and that's what he is. I'm now quite excited to watch tonight's game.
User avatar
the toucan kid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3838
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 am

Re: Schneider to start

Postby levelheaded » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Sid Dithers wrote:
levelheaded wrote:Not a fan of this move at all. I don't blame Sanford for the loss, and throwing Schneider into a huge divisional game is a great way to kill his confidence. I mean I guess it has the potential to be a huge boost for him, but in reality I think he'll suffer because of it. Our next game is against Columbus on the road, surely an easier, less important opponent would've been better for him...


I don't blame Sanford for the loss either. But if he's so fragile that his confidence takes a hit by sitting for a night, then he's ultimately not very dependable. Schneider was playing well before he got called up, so throw the kid in there before he gets rusty.


It has nothing to do with his confidence, and everything to do with the team that plays in front of him. We're obviously looking to make the playoffs this year, so we need as many wins as you can get. We need to play the better goaltender, and as of this moment that's Sanford. As much as I'd love to audition Schneider and watch him turn into a superstar, I realistically don't think that'll happen. Plus the team always plays better in front of a goalie they can rely on, it's hard for a team to trust a 22 year old in his first NHL start. This is an extremely important game tonight, a win and we're 5 points up on the Flames, a loss and the gap narrows to one. I don't want to see a loss just because the higher ups felt it necessary to show off their star prospect.
User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Re: Schneider to start

Postby Madcombinepilot » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Schneider is a starter.
Sandford is a back up.

We brought up Schneider to play, gave him a couple days to learn our system (which is not that differnet from the moose), gave him a couple of practices with the team, and he should be good to go. Starting him on the road is the right decision, but I probably would have started him during the week and not on saturday night HNIC... meh. ANY first nhl game is a big game, and the guy has played in big games before. He might as well play.

Start your starters.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with untill you understand I am in charge.
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Schneider to start

Postby Cornuck » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:... and not on Saturday night HNIC... meh.


Schneider said that growing up the States, he isn't that knowledgeable about HNIC and it doesn't add any pressure to him.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4937
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Chester, NE

Re: Schneider to start

Postby ClamRussel » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:34 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:... and not on Saturday night HNIC... meh.


Schneider said that growing up the States, he isn't that knowledgeable about HNIC and it doesn't add any pressure to him.


Welcome to the show
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3854
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Schneider to start

Postby Joe Rockhead » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:50 pm

Sanford is and should be below Schnider on the Canucks depth chart. I can't wait to see the kid play, he looked great in the pre-season. Why wait?
Don Cherry for P.M.
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: North Delta

Re: Schneider to start

Postby Sid Dithers » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:54 pm

levelheaded wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote:
levelheaded wrote:Not a fan of this move at all. I don't blame Sanford for the loss, and throwing Schneider into a huge divisional game is a great way to kill his confidence. I mean I guess it has the potential to be a huge boost for him, but in reality I think he'll suffer because of it. Our next game is against Columbus on the road, surely an easier, less important opponent would've been better for him...


I don't blame Sanford for the loss either. But if he's so fragile that his confidence takes a hit by sitting for a night, then he's ultimately not very dependable. Schneider was playing well before he got called up, so throw the kid in there before he gets rusty.


It has nothing to do with his confidence, and everything to do with the team that plays in front of him. We're obviously looking to make the playoffs this year, so we need as many wins as you can get. We need to play the better goaltender, and as of this moment that's Sanford. As much as I'd love to audition Schneider and watch him turn into a superstar, I realistically don't think that'll happen. Plus the team always plays better in front of a goalie they can rely on, it's hard for a team to trust a 22 year old in his first NHL start. This is an extremely important game tonight, a win and we're 5 points up on the Flames, a loss and the gap narrows to one. I don't want to see a loss just because the higher ups felt it necessary to show off their star prospect.


How are we so sure Sanford is the better goalie? It's game #24, it's not exactly crunch-time. If you can't put Schneider in now, when can you?
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
User avatar
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C.

Re: Schneider to start

Postby Linden Is God » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:45 pm

I've seen little of the game but from I've seen the kid looks good. Also, I can't believe the stats they're showed on his last 27 games in the 'A'. Un-f'n-believe-able. :shock:
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
User avatar
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario

Re: Schneider to start

Postby the toucan kid » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Kid looks to be a bit of a natural (2nd goal aside). I say we trade the Sedins, Ohlund, Salo and Luongo and start a rebuild :D
User avatar
the toucan kid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3838
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 am

Re: Schneider to start

Postby Cornuck » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:10 pm

Remember what happened to the last team that traded Luongo for a 'natural'. :?
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4937
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Chester, NE

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

cron