Can the Canucks actually AFFORD a SUPERSTAR next summer?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Can the Canucks actually AFFORD a SUPERSTAR next summer?

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Can the Canucks actually AFFORD a SUPERSTAR next summer? Some other thoughts

[*]With the Sedin twins and Ohlund destined for pay raises next year (assuming that they stay), will the Canucks actually be able to AFFORD a top-tier offensive superstar? (i.e. Gaborik, or other top tier superstar forwards are available). If the answer to this is "no", then perhaps the Canucks would avoid signing someone like Ohlund....so that they can GET a guy like Gaborik. Let's assume for a sec that this actually happens (i.e. we miraculously get Gaborik and the Canucks ignore Ohlund). In essence, it's the equivalent of trading Ohlund for Gaborik. Does this actually make us THAT much better? In my opinion...no...no it doesn't. The subtraction on our defense almost completely nullifies our upgrade on offense in this instance...and we are left with a minimal overall net gain. Other alternatives to counter this? Do Ohlund and/or the Sedin twins take a home town discount so that Gillis CAN take a run at a top-tier offensive superstar? Do the Canucks look for another D-man (via UFA) that will happily accept whatever Ohlund was making (3.5 million). Will he be anywhere near as good as Ohlund? If the Canucks do NOT go this route, will guys like Edler and Kraijeck step up to compensate the loss?

[*]Do you think the concept of eliminating Unrestricted Free Agency is a good one? Why or why not? Would eliminating UFA allow for greater parity? What if all free agents were restricted? If a player wants to go to a new city/environment? Great - wait to be traded. That way - the team losing the player never goes empty handed. Would this allow for greater parity?

[*]Is 'building through the farm' an overrated strategy? Don't get me wrong - I *am* a fan of building through the farm/draft, but I also believe that too many people get carried away with this concept. Case in point - 7 or 8 years ago, when I, as a teenager, suggested the idea of trading Bryan Allen, Josh Holden, and a 1st for a top notch goalie, people thought I was nuts and had no vision. Knowing what we know now, would YOU have pulled the trigger? The reason why I bring this up, is because almost EVERYONE is expecting Cody Hodgson to be a DAMN good hockey player. Don't get me wrong - I *also* love Cody Hodgson (and actually feel a bit bad that I've mentioned him in so many trade proposal ideas). However - isn't it possible that a player's reputation can often precede himself? For all we know, Hodgson could turn out to be like Josh Holden. Perhaps like Luc Bourdon (RIP), Hodgson will show great initial promise, but then show mediocrity over the next few years. Or perhaps, Hodgson turns out to be like Kesler....a very hard working, great skating, SHUT DOWN forward....on the 3rd line. So let's say Hodgson becomes an "elite 3rd liner" like Kesler is right now. Would YOU consider it laughable (from our perspective) if we traded an "elite 3rd liner" and perhaps a high draft pick for a franchise superstar player? As poster Clam Russell pointed out recently...Pat Quinn actually said "no" to Boston's GM when they offered Adam Oates for Holden and Schaeffer!

[*]And finally...what would be a post of mine without ATLEAST *one* video game insight? According to my NHL 09', the Canucks would be best served by "not thinking too much" on the PP. It's ok to 'look for the perfect play' in some situations, but don't do that ALL the time. MIX IT UP! Sometimes - taking reckless shots from the point without thinking is good. Bernier, Kesler, Pyatt, Pettinger, and even Burrows are all excellent at getting 'garbage goals'. Demitra has an excellent shot as well (Pyatt, Bernier, and even Pettinger are good for Demitra..in terms of clearing space). Sedin twins, although exceptionally skilled, might be a little too predictable this year...and may not be as effective.

As ridiculous as this may sound - a PP unit of Pyatt-Kesler-Bernier w/ Salo and Bieksa might be pretty damn good!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Can the Canucks actually AFFORD a SUPERSTAR next summer?

Post by Sid Dithers »

1. Ohlund will not be in line for a pay raise. As much as I've valued him as a good, reliable player over the years, he's slipping past his prime now. If he has a good season, he can be had for the same salary next year, I would think.

2. Don't even bother judging Hodgson at this point. He's 18, and no 18-year-old should be judged for career-longevity until his career in the NHL begins in earnest. I like the looks of him overall, and have no reason to think he won't be a good NHL player, but we'll know more when he comes back a year from now and tries to crack the team as a 19 yo.

3. Building through the farm is NOT an overrated stategy. It may not solve all your problems all the time, but a good organization ALWAYS has good, young players coming along. It's essential to any team's long-range success. A mediocre team that trades it's young guys away for some kind of quick fix is a team that's destined to remain mediocre, or worse.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The current Cap level for NEXT season is $26 million which includes 9 players, half the roster

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=VAN

Re-signs
Sedins X 2 , Ohlund, Edler. Krajicek, Bernier, = maybe 21/26 mill would then give us a total of $47/52 mil

It's going to be close, thankfully we should have Hodson, Grabner and maybe Labrie for likely small sums
cheers
Haida Knucklehead
CC Rookie

Post by Haida Knucklehead »

[quote="Sid Dithers"]1. Ohlund will not be in line for a pay raise. As much as I've valued him as a good, reliable player over the years, he's slipping past his prime now. If he has a good season, he can be had for the same salary next year, I would think.

quote]

Ohlund has given 'Nucks a "home town discount" last two contracts ( maybe one) and if the 'Nucks do not resign him before free agency next year, he will get a substantial raise. Some team will pay him in excess of of his current $3.5 mill. Heck even Jeff Finger received $3.5 million and he is not even a top 4 dman!? given the market place for top 4 dmen we will likely not retain Ohlund for less than $4 million.
Haida Gwaii is Canuck Country
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

Totally agree that Ohlund is currently underpaid by market standards and would easily snag 5Mill on the open market. He can be counted on for physical play and 10-15 Goals a year and has a knack for game winners. I think it'll take something like 5 to keep him and I do think he's worth it. Re offering him 3.5 would push him out of town and onto another team. You could argue we'd survive without him but really we should try to keep this D core together as long as we can afford to.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

well, with Bieksa's contract setting the bar, Ollie will get 4.5 next year.

As to trading our D, a solid 'no' from MCP here.... Trade Pyatt and a prospect for an upgrade on Pyatt... thats the key to this team.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Madcombinepilot wrote: As to trading our D, a solid 'no' from MCP here.... Trade Pyatt and a prospect for an upgrade on Pyatt... thats the key to this team.
I'm a pretty big fan of this idea. The only thing that I would suggest here is if the Canucks go this route, we get some size in return. If Pyatt leaves and we don't get 'size' in return, that leaves us with only Bernier as our "big forward" for our top 6. Pettinger and Hordichuk (isn't big, but plays like it) aren't good enough to be up there.

As for Pyatt and a prospect, what do you think the Canucks could get? I'd suggest Keith Tkachuk (lol), but Keith seems hell bent on staying in St.Louis....and I doubt that the Blues would consider giving him up.

p.s. Since Ohlund and Gaborik are BOTH UFA's at season's end, could this make Van/Minny trade partners? (with the Canucks throwing in a prospect perhaps). Salo, Mitchell, Bieksa, and Edler would be our top 4 (with the expectation that Bieksa and Edler step up to compensate the loss of Ohlund). Kraijeck and Davisson round things out at 5/6 respectively, while the Canucks have that dude from Ottawa, McIvar, etc, etc. as extra's.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Farhan Lalji wrote: p.s. Since Ohlund and Gaborik are BOTH UFA's at season's end, could this make Van/Minny trade partners? (with the Canucks throwing in a prospect perhaps). Salo, Mitchell, Bieksa, and Edler would be our top 4 (with the expectation that Bieksa and Edler step up to compensate the loss of Ohlund). Kraijeck and Davisson round things out at 5/6 respectively, while the Canucks have that dude from Ottawa, McIvar, etc, etc. as extra's.
No offense to Ohlund, but Gaborik is an $8M+ dollar man and Ohlund is a $4M+ dollar man. So given they are in similar contract position, it will likely cost you a tier 1 prospect (Hodgson ?) and a 1st rounder.

I would take that trade, ASSUMING I was pretty sure I could resign Gaborik. If not, then it is a bad trade (unless we win the cup, but that is a stretch even with Gaborik).

You also missed the minor problems that the fans of Minnesota HATE Vancouver (we're their number 1 enemy) and Ohlund has a NTC. There are many reasons that we won't be trade partners with the wild.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Gaborik and Ohlund are worth nothing at the end of their current contract
cheers
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Fred wrote:Gaborik and Ohlund are worth nothing at the end of their current contract
So ? They are also worth nothing when they retire. What does that have to do with anything ?

They each have value today, and the better player generally has higher value. (This doesn't apply in Leaf land, but thankfully we're not there yet).
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

I don't understand Vancouver, letting Naslund go because the media labeled him as soft and not a leader and signing a player like Demetra to "replace" him.

Now talk of going after Gaborik??? Why the hell would they want Gaborik? If Naslund was too soft and not a leader then what the heck is Gaborik?

How about trading for Eric Stall? A big CANADIAN kid or someone of his ilk?

Godamn it Marion Gaborik!!! No thanks!
Don Cherry for P.M.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Some one ban that guy...

And Joe is there a reason you assume we let Naslund go? Seems to me it's is just as likely that he didn't want to be here any longer.

As for Ohlund getting a pay raise? I would have to let him walk in spite of how much I've liked watching him throughout his career. He is certainly on the verge of being on the decline and his health is starting to be a question mark. With Edler emerging hopefully a mid-pairing guy will be a sufficient replacement and hopefully save us about a millon or half on what we pay Ohlund now.