Lowes delivers a right hook to Burke

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Lowes delivers a right hook to Burke

Post by mattola »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242532& ... pStory_nhl
"Here's a fact - he left (former Canucks GM) Dave Nonis nothing in Vancouver," he explained. "Nothing. He destroyed that team. If it wasn't for Nonis' incredible deals - to con Mike Keenan to get Luongo in Vancouver - that team was taking a nose dive two years ago."

"I mean, that's his M.O., but no one says anything
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Hahaha, I love this article!! Great to hear him finally say his piece. Gotta agree with quite a few of his points.
I'm sick and tired of it. I know everybody in hockey is. I know our peers are like, 'well, that's Burkie.' This guy is an absolute media junkie and I guess he's achieving what he wants because he gets his name in the headlines. But I hate the fact that my name is linked to his. He's an underachieving wanna-be in terms of success in the NHL. He won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings? Who cares, it's just a little pathetic that he carries on."
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I've always felt that Burke was pretty much the most overrated GM in sports. Exactly what major deals did he engineer here? The Bure trade? Great, we got Jovo and a bunch of crap for the most talented player we've ever had. He drafted Umberger, then decided to dick him around and let him walk for nothing over a few thousand dollars. He totally failed to draft a worthwhile prospect outside the first round, and did nothing to assemble the core that was successful under his tenure. Sure the Sedins look great now, but for a long time they really didn't.

He walked into a great thing assembled my Murray in Anaheim. He didn't draft Getzlaf, Perry or sign Penner. Instead he took Bobby Ryan 2nd overall behind Crosby ahead of a number of very good players. Sure he got Neidermayer to sign with the Ducks, but I assure you it had more to do with Rob being there. The Pronger trade looks good in retrospect, but Lowe was handcuffed and was forced to deal him after the trade demand. Sure Selanne was a great signing, but he then let him do whatever the hell he wanted and it really messed up the franchise last year.

Burke is far from a genius, he is just a decent GM who has walked into a couple lucky situations.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

levelheaded wrote:I've always felt that Burke was pretty much the most overrated GM in sports. Exactly what major deals did he engineer here? The Bure trade? Great, we got Jovo and a bunch of crap for the most talented player we've ever had. He drafted Umberger, then decided to dick him around and let him walk for nothing over a few thousand dollars. He totally failed to draft a worthwhile prospect outside the first round, and did nothing to assemble the core that was successful under his tenure. Sure the Sedins look great now, but for a long time they really didn't.

He walked into a great thing assembled my Murray in Anaheim. He didn't draft Getzlaf, Perry or sign Penner. Instead he took Bobby Ryan 2nd overall behind Crosby ahead of a number of very good players. Sure he got Neidermayer to sign with the Ducks, but I assure you it had more to do with Rob being there. The Pronger trade looks good in retrospect, but Lowe was handcuffed and was forced to deal him after the trade demand. Sure Selanne was a great signing, but he then let him do whatever the hell he wanted and it really messed up the franchise last year.

Burke is far from a genius, he is just a decent GM who has walked into a couple lucky situations.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAmen to that. I've written the same kinds of things. Totally left Nonis with nothing in the cupboard, and when Gillis mentioned iin his 1st media conference how few draft picks from 1997-2003 were good, he was indirectly taking a shot at Nonis, but it was really an indictment of burke.

Some more Burke luck: the salary cap came at exactly the right time for Anaheim, b/c they weren't loaded w/ expensive players...except one: Sergei Federov. Now, Burke was truly lucky that the biggest moron for a GM, Doug MacLean, took Federov off his hands, which gave Burke the money to throw at Niedermayer.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Nice to see Burke get slapped down. :mrgreen:
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Brian Burke didn't exactly leave a great team for Dave Nonis to run with. His drafting/player development record was spotty (got better after Nonis took over) and despite having Naslund/Bertuzzi/Morrison stuck with a shaky Dan Cloutier.

Burkie shows up in Anaheim with a boatload of solid young players thanks to Bryan Murray and David McNab with Giguere in net.

Think Burke would have won the Stanley Cup if all of that wasn't handed to him first?

Didn't think so.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I hope he goes to toronto next year. Then his GM abilities(or should I say lack of) will be exposed for all to see in the center-of-the-universe.
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

Couldn't disagree more with you guys.

When Brian Burke arrived in Vancouver, the Canucks were coming off a season in which they finished 2nd last overall. He took them from a basement dweller that was run into the ground by Keenan, and after a few seasons got them back in the playoffs. Before Burke, tickets were easy to get and games were almost never sold out, but soon after Burke's arrival the sell-out streak began and they built up to 17K season ticket holders. He single-handedly restored the hockey culture in Vancouver to an almost fever pitch. He's abrasive and turns people off, but he's a good GM and he did a good job in Vancouver.

Kevin Lowe implies that he's the superior team builder because he's got 6 cup rings. But he got them not as a GM but as a player (on a team stacked with amazing talent of which he was far from the best). Burke got his cup ring as a GM and he deserves more credit than people like Lowe give him for building a decent Anaheim team. Applying Lowe's "logic", Henri Richard with his 11 or so rings as a player, could have been one of the greatest GMs in history ... because after all, it's only the number of rings someone has (Messier will be thrilled if this idea gains traction because he also wants to be a GM).
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

<i> He took them from a basement dweller that was run into the ground by Keenan</i>

Boy time for a reality break..The Nucks svcked worse before Keenan came in.. the decision to bring in Messier was not his.. Griffith went broke and the team dismantling was mostly necessary because of the p poor handling of Bure' and Mogilny by previous management ... Keenan built the WCE..Please look at the stats . and look at team and Griffith history.. McCaw became an owner of a nearly bankrupt franchise .. Griffith had his heart in the game but didn't have the $$ or the smarts really.. It took Burke to get rid of Bure for fundamentally nothing... he traded away a top 4 Dman plus /Bure for Jovo and a burnt out cente who did diddley squat as a Canuck.. His handling of Umberger was inept to say the least and I maybe wrong ( mind is getting older ) but think he lost Larionov because he wouldn't pay out an extra 50k to the russian hockey federation.. Nope.. I don't buy the Keenan bashing.. He didn't destroy the team .. it was already dead last when he took over..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Ya the Messier thing was McCaw & McCammon's revenge for the Rangers stealing Gretzky from them. Man I would have loved to have seen 99 centre Bure & Mogilny that year!!!

WCE

Naslund=Quinn
Bertuzzi=Keenan
Morrison=Burke

They all played a part in that line, not just Keenan.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

I'm starting to like Kevin Lowe a lot more. :D
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Sid Dithers wrote:I'm starting to like Kevin Lowe a lot more. :D
No kidding this is great. Laufs G.M. Burke, I mean Ducks G.M. gets ripped in the media, wait for reply.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Got to love that, I still consider them both to be good execs but Kevin hit Burke right where it counts. The retort may be classic.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Al Strachan wrote a very good article about the 'myth' of Brian Burke's genius and his true ability to be the saviour of the Toronto Maple leaves. Have a read....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8423 ... obably-not

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

DavidPratt_ wrote:Al Strachan wrote a very good article about the 'myth' of Brian Burke's genius and his true ability to be the saviour of the Toronto Maple leaves. Have a read....
dp
While Burke is a windbag and certainly not a genius, his record in Vancouver was, let's face it, not bad and his record in Anaheim includes a cup. What did he do in Anaheim ? Got rid of the pricey deadwood (Fedorov) by dumping him on Columbus. Then he got Neidermeyer, Pronger and Selanne. Three PRIMARY keys to the puzzle. Yes Murray deserves credit too, but Burke pushed the team over the top. He made the deals for the three above.

With Vancouver, obviously there was no cup but he assembled a good group. AND he actually defends his players when the morons in the press spout crap (hi Pratt !).

Strachan is obviously biased.

But I do agree Burke will likely be a disaster in Toronto. He will spend most of his time battling with the morons in the press and the morons who run MLSE.