Bernier to the Nucks!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I leave the house for 20 minutes and look what happens. I'm gone for the weekend so I expect 3 blockbuster trades.

I rally like this move. Huge Bernier fan. Word is Gillis told Regier he was going to send an offer sheet and asked Regier if he just wanted to make the trade for the picks instead. Great work, now let's see if MG can keep it going.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I love how almost all those goals come from 3 feet out. Get his name on a long term deal Mike!

People are speculating that Gillis was going to give him and offer sheet, but Buffalo took the customary trade offer instead. Sounds good to me.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

So can we expect another offer sheet from Gillis?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Great move, one of the best of the free agent season (no I'm not kidding) other than Hossa for one year. Get him locked up already.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Linden Is God wrote:So can we expect another offer sheet from Gillis?
appears so

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... =si_latest

If the Canucks strike out in the Sundin sweepstakes, look for Gillis to take another swipe at adding to his roster through a restricted free agent offer sheet.

It certainly wouldn't be a popular move -- Gillis was lambasted after going that route with St. Louis forward David Backes on Tuesday -- but he has little alternative if he hopes to improve a team that looks considerably weaker than last season's underachieving group.

Best bet? Detroit winger Valterri Filppula. The Red Wings tend not to lose players they want to keep -- and Filppula definitely fits that category -- but they are running out of cap space. It might take an offer in the $4 million dollar range to force them to pass, and while that figure might sound absurd, but compare it to the money being tossed at guys like Sean Avery (four years, $15.5 million), Michael Ryder (three years, $12 million) and, yes, Jeff Finger (four years, $14 million). Easy to pinpoint which player would provide better value.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

The offer sheet for Backes, now this trade for Bernier... I think I'm getting an idea on MG's plan: young, sizeable players with a semblance of scoring touch if not a whole lot of it on the surface. At least he did Regier the courtesy of a call to trade before putting out the offer sheet. Goodwill in the GM fraternity can go a long way.

Considering the thin UFA market, I kinda figured trading would be the most likely means of improving this team. That said, what else do we have to offer teams outside of what few higher-end draft picks we have left? Schneider? Grabner? I still see holes in the lineup that it would seem ridiculously optimistic to believe could be filled from within and see an improvement from last year. Don't get me started with Sundin - if he signs - as I think he has no more in the tank than Messier had when he came here.

Trading Bernier is a good move (provided MG doesn't offer HIM $10 million a year), a step in the right direction and it takes the edge off the FA fiasco which has transpired thus far. That said, this upcoming season STILL looks ugly unless MG moves some mountains or finds a diamond in the rough.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

This makes sense. A young guy with some physical tools and potential. Hope Gillis keeps beating the bushes and makes a few more moves like this.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

am I of the minority when I suggest signing this kid for a 4 year deal?
Mooger35
CC Veteran

Post by Mooger35 »

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=532651

anyone listening to 980 that can confirm?
Peter: Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

im on team 1040 now Ill confirm soon
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

TEAM 1040 reports about Bernier.
Talk about Lions game tonight (Jackson gets the start)
My dog is rolling the grass
My lunch is burning on the BBQ
Morrison has 9 offers and will NOT be coming back to the Canucks.
no word on this offer sheet.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Big fan of this trade, Bernier is worth a second round pick the third is fine to go aswell, I like where Gillis is trying to take this team. He should fit well with the twins. I bet he puts up atleast 20 goals if he gets to stay with them all year. Now i would really like to see Gillis try and get Fillpula from the Wings, this kid is going to be a terrific player. He has that zetterberg datsyuk diamond in the rough feel. Grab him and then possibly nab Jason Williams and the youth movement would be great. Also wouldn't mind going in if Shanny isn't too much.. although i guess money isn't a huge issue right now.. but with Bernier signing and the sedins up for raises don't want to screw are selves.. although its shouldn't be an issue right now. I remember watching Bernier his rookier year and how good he looked, he has excellent size that he plays with. He does a good job of holding guys off with the one handed move. Hopefully it turns out. GO GILLIS GO
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Linden Is God wrote:So can we expect another offer sheet from Gillis?
Others of intrigue:

Antoine Vermette
Bobby Ryan
Marek Svatos
RJ Umberger
Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Ryan Clowe
Matt Stajan
Brooks Laich
hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Post by hoopsjunky »

I like the move. He's as good a young player as we can get - and a RW, potential power forward to boot - without having to give up a Bieksa or Edler or Kesler. He probably has as much potential as a 2nd round or 3rd round draft pick as well.

Not sure if I'm a big fan of Gillis throwing an offer sheet in the $4 million range. Actually I don't know if I'd want him to throw one higher than $2.6 million. The compensation at that point includes a 1st rounder, and with what looks like a youth movement, I'm not sure I want to enter the deep 2009 draft without a first round draft pick.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Vermette would be an intriguing possibility. How much cap space do the Sens have?

Ryan... I dunno. Besides, with the Ducks not having to pay Selanne anymore and Burke's attitude towards GMs who put out offer sheets, especially to a high 1st-rounder that he picked, I think Ryan is a remote possibility.

I'd enjoy MG putting one out to Svatos, even if only to make Colorado squirm for a bit. How much cap room do they have left?

Umberger.... couldn't care less one way or the other. I think his situation here was a matter of a inter-personal clash between his agent and Burke. That said, while he's of the mould MG wants, I think we could do better.

Bouchard, meh...

Clowe would definitely be intriguing but we'll have to see if San Jose does get Boyle and his hefty price-tag. Would Clowe go the other way? Wait and see, but I would be happy with him wearing the whale.

Stajan... meh. While I find the Wellwood experiment entertaining (and hey, we got him off waivers anyway), I would hate for MG to get into the habit of taking Toronto cast-offs.

Laich... don't know enough about him...

We'll see what happens, but Vermette, Svatos and Clowe would be whyo I would go after.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.