Going forward ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Going forward ?

Post by sic puppy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:31 pm

With no particular pairings:

Sedin/Sedin/Pyatt (8.725)
Raymond/Wellwood/Pettinger (2.88)
Burrows/Kesler/Cowan (2.958)
Hordichuk/Johnson/XX (1.9)

Ohlund/Bxa (7.250)
Salo/Mitchell (7.0)
Edler/Krajicek (1.650)

Luongo/Sanford (7.4)

Total 39.763

Does not include two way players or Chouinard buy out.

G & D look solid

Farhan Lalji

Re: Going forward ?

Post by Farhan Lalji » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:38 pm

I think at this point, the Canucks should make offense their LAST priority (as bizarre as that may sound).

Think about it.

Even if the Canucks get a guy like Demitra, Morrison, or a line-mate for the twins (and quite, even if all 3 of these 'events' occurred), the Canucks would STILL have a very sub-par offense.

At this point - we have a very very good defense, but not a top 5. I'd say we're in the top 10, but probably on the lower end of that.

IF the Canucks were to get another superstar defensemen, I think we'd legitimately be top 3 or top 4 (only behind Anaheim, Detroit, and San Jose perhaps). So in other words - we'd have mega strengths in net and on defense.

Perhaps at this point, Gillis should accept the fact that our offense is going to suck.

Turn our other areas into strengths (i.e. Power Play, Penalty kill, toughness).

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Goaltending and defence may look solid on paper, but the truth is goaltending is unchanged from last year and the defence is actually worse (no Miller). With the amount of injuries we're inevitably going to get I'm not exactly confident in our ability to win any games ever.

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:56 pm

How is focusing more on defense going to help a team that lost way too many winnable games last year by not being able to put the puck in the net. When Luongo is on his game (as he was for most of the year but the final part of the season) we are tough to score on, our defense and goaltender are in fine shape really.

How we are supposed to win games by not replacing 25% of our goal scoring we've lost so far to free agency is beyond me. Certainly not but filling the forward lines with grinders.

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Just let it die already Farhan. You're not going to trade the Sedins for Chara. The defense, when healthy, is solid enough as it is. Yes a depth guy would be great, but enough with the calls for a superstar dman. You can't win games without scoring. This team last year had trouble scoring more then 2 a game. Offense is the need and offense should the be demand. Yes there is very little out there, but I'm sure if Gillis gets desperate enough he could salvage a second line of some sort.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:46 pm

The Senators are bracing for a raid on restricted free agents Antoine Vermette and Andrej Meszaros. League sources told Sun Media yesterday the Canucks, Thrashers and Blue Jackets are so desperate to make a splash on the free-agent market, they're all looking at making offers for the highly touted winger and defenceman. The Senators would have the right to match any offer sheet to keep Vermette and Meszaros.
From Sportsnets Rumours page... I wouldn't mind Vermette by any means, although is he a 2nd line C or a top 3rd line C? If he's the later, this would make no sense.

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:00 pm

Badfish wrote:
The Senators are bracing for a raid on restricted free agents Antoine Vermette and Andrej Meszaros. League sources told Sun Media yesterday the Canucks, Thrashers and Blue Jackets are so desperate to make a splash on the free-agent market, they're all looking at making offers for the highly touted winger and defenceman. The Senators would have the right to match any offer sheet to keep Vermette and Meszaros.
From Sportsnets Rumours page... I wouldn't mind Vermette by any means, although is he a 2nd line C or a top 3rd line C? If he's the later, this would make no sense.
And as a big Vancouver Giants fan, i wouldn't mind Meszaros. Still lots of upside left there as well as a potential power-play QB.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:18 pm

I would love both players, but I'd rather acquire them in a trade somehow.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Badfish wrote:
Vermette as a 2nd line centre would be suicide. He's a top 3rd liner, but not good enough to anchor a line. His stats are in a large part due to the type of team he plays on. He certainly won't come close to repeating them in our defensive system.

Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:57 am

If we don't get any kind of scoring infusion I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup of speed and some toughness, guys like Kesler, Burrows, Pettinger, Hordichuk, Vermette, Johnson, and even to an extent Pyatt. If ya don't have scoring at least we can skate the spit out of the other team, cuz at this point we don't have a hope at scoring any other way it seems. Even guys like Hansen and Raymond can fly as well, they don't add toughness but if we can use speed to create penalties and mismatches with slower opposition it could work, throw in a dose of the Sedins cycle to mix it up a bit.

antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:09 am

...maybe MG's bold plan is to compete with Toronto for Tavares?
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:30 am

I think that overpaying for restricted free agents on teams that have little cap space might not be a bad strategy at this point. Take the Sundin deal off the table and we have plenty of bucks to throw that way. If we overpay enough other teams won't be able to match. Its a bit crazy and will only make MG more hated by other GMs but I bet by the end of today there won't be anyone capable of scoring 20 goals left in the free agent market.

sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Going forward ?

Post by sic puppy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:56 am

sic puppy wrote:With no particular pairings:

Sedin/Sedin/Pyatt (8.725)
Raymond/Wellwood/Pettinger (2.88)
Burrows/Kesler/Cowan (2.958)
Hordichuk/Johnson/XX (1.9)
update with signing of Bernier:

Sedin/Sedin/Bernier
Raymond/Wellwood/Pyatt
Burrows/Kesler/Pettinger
Hordichuk/Johnson/Cowan

The issue still is legitimate RW positions. With Pyatt & Pettinger playing their off wings.

Jaffray, Hansen & Brown (all RW currently with the Moose) could provide some competition this year

Slot in Sundin and it's not a bad line-up going into spring training.

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:15 am

I can't see Cowan back with us signing Hordichuk.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:22 am

Jovorock wrote:I can't see Cowan back with us signing Hordichuk.
Very possible. This is a list of players currently under contract.