Sundin

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Only an obsessed nut like myself will be seen on an early Wednesday morning at 2:26 A.M.....but alas, I am here.

After thinking about it all day (yesterday now), and pretty much tuning out of my 4 hour lecture tonight (much to the chagrin of my professor who noticed I was "mentally absent", I am now in FAVOR of Sundin signing here at 10 million per season (for two years).

Unlike Mark Messier from 10 year ago, I don't think Sundin has shown any signs of slowing down. In terms of grit, leadership, size, ability to help our PP, toughness, etc., Sundin delivers from all accounts. Tantalum, Potatoe, Hockey Widow, Strangelove and Southern Canuck (5 of the most knowledgeable Canuck fans I've seen on the net), also feel that signing Sundin is a good thing.

Perhaps the most important thing however, is that Naslund will finally have a new husband in Mats Sundin (although I kind of do want Bert back, perhaps both me and Naslund need to move on....the media just won't allow that marriage to work). Anyway, I where was I?

Oh yeah - I think I mentioned this earlier today (yesterday now I guess), but do we have enough money to sign both Sundin AND Hossa?! With Hordichuck and Sauer here now, an argument can be made that we've addressed our toughness issue, defensive depth (not really an issue), and depth to our 3rd/4th lines (well not really....but whatever).

What if.....with our remaining cap space.....Gillis (sans the 3.75 mill on Naslund) spent ALL of his remaining cap space on Sundin and Hossa. K guys off to sleep. Hopefully by tommorw, Sundin will be a Canusk!

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Farhan Lalji wrote:With Hordichuck and Sauer here now, an argument can be made that we've addressed our toughness issue, defensive depth (not really an issue), and depth to our 3rd/4th lines (well not really....but whatever).

!
I know we have Hordicuck but Sauer?

George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

ClamRussel wrote:I've heard the deal isn't for 10 mill per, its a 5 mill signing bonus, 5 mill per season & then 5 mill to be paid out at the end of the term. Not sure if this makes any difference in the CBA or not. If its just seen as 10 mill per then I don't see whats the point of making the offer spread out like that.
Actually from Sundin's point of view he gets most of the money (15M ) earlier. The structuring was of benefit to the player providing he plays both seasons.

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Grizzly wrote:
I do agree we are in trouble, which is probably why MG is overpaying. Capiche ?
I'd agree we are in trouble too ... but MG eggs are all in one basket ... if Sundin doesn't sign it appears MG has done nothing but adjust a few perimeter players.

For discussion purposes ... what other options were you thinking of ...??

Grizz
Hossa is still available, as are Naslund, Mo, and (to make Farhan happy), Bertuzzi. His options were always very limited, there were very few UFAs and 29 other teams competing for those UFAs. I have always said he should try to keep Naslund and Mo, mainly because his options are so limited and they would likely sign at a discount.

His basket isn't empty, he has a top 3 goaltender + a very good balanced defense. We have a third line, and 2/3rds of a top or second line. Obviously we are missing 4 top 6 forwards, and Sundin only fills in 1 out of those 4 spots.

Sundin may very well sign elsewhere, but you have to admit that MG has done all he could to get Sundin. You can fault him for overpaying, but he is trying to make moves.

When there are very few big name UFAs, your only hope (and it may be a slim hope) is to land ONE. Is one at $10M better than two at $5M ? Perhaps not. Perhaps it would have been better to target Malone and someone else in the $4-5M range.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. As long as he stays in rebuilding mode and doesn't start dumping prospects and draft picks for middle of the road middle aged players I couldn't care less what he does.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

ClamRussel wrote:
I've heard the deal isn't for 10 mill per, its a 5 mill signing bonus, 5 mill per season & then 5 mill to be paid out at the end of the term. Not sure if this makes any difference in the CBA or not. If its just seen as 10 mill per then I don't see whats the point of making the offer spread out like that.
Also, if he retires at the end of the first year, we only take a 5million dollar cap hit next season.
if your paying the big bucks on an aging guy, this is a good way protect the team against his retirement..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Either way, it doesn't really matter. As long as he stays in rebuilding mode and doesn't start dumping prospects and draft picks for middle of the road middle aged players I couldn't care less what he does.
and if he doesn't lock the twins up this year, he could be planning to wave thier RFA status under the leagues nose, hoping that a team will part with 5 1st round picks for each of them... that would stock up the old cupoards in a couple years...

(not the way that I would do it, but wtf)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

RC51
CC Rookie

Post by RC51 »

JCardinal wrote:
How can he be out GM'd because of an "old boys club" when it comes to signing free agents?

Aside from that the days of the old boys club are clearly numbered, Gillis and the style of GM he represents is where this whole league will be down the road, it happened in other sports, hockey is not going to be an exception.
Tampa went out, got the rights to pending UFAs they were interested in and for whom they could make sensible offers, and somehow managed to sign them before the July 1st frenzy, and probably saved money compared to what they would have had to pay once multiple offers were presented. That's how. Being aggressive, using the processes in place and being smart about it.

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Sundin saying he has to 'think' about signing here is a real kick in the nuts for MG.....Sundin should have just said NO instead of dragging this out & making the Canucks wait....& look even more desperate.........
Maybe MG can get Naslund to talk to Sundin....it worked so well when Naslund chatted with Forsberg :roll:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill