Oilers trade Pitkanen to Carolina for Erik Cole

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Oilers trade Pitkanen to Carolina for Erik Cole

Post by mattola »

NHL live source
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Damn, good trade for the Oilers. Pitkanen is talented, but lazily as hell. I was hoping we'd get Cole...

As for them getting Brule I'm neither here nor there. I just hope he never reaches his potential.
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

I disagree!!! I think we have seen the best of cole who is soon to be 30 (opposed to pitkanen who's 24)he has had his fair share of injuries over the past few years and coming from a higher scoring division in the east to the tight checking of the northwest divison which will mean he'll most likely drop 10-15 points .
When ptkanen is a highly skilled big d-man who will be a powerplay QB for carolina for years to come and will have carolina laughing at the end of next season being cole will probablly sign elsewhere as he becomes a UFA.
The good thing about this trade is that we don't have to worry about the canucks dealing bieksa for him!!!
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Great trade for the Canes. Cole is one head/shoulder injury away from his head falling off. I liked Brule when he was with the Giants, caught a lot of games and he was outstanding. I didn't realize he was on the block - would've liked to see him come home.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

i don't know cole well, but there does seem to be a big question mark about injuries...

but, from our perspective, there's another concern: is this one more trade that gillis couldn't do b/c of inexperience, or being out-maneuvered by lowe? or was gillis going after williams, and didn't want to settle for the oft-injured cole?

let's hope it was the second case.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

antro wrote:i don't know cole well, but there does seem to be a big question mark about injuries...

but, from our perspective, there's another concern: is this one more trade that gillis couldn't do b/c of inexperience, or being out-maneuvered by lowe? or was gillis going after williams, and didn't want to settle for the oft-injured cole?

let's hope it was the second case.
You raise some good points, antro.

And that's what makes the job of GM a challenge, no ?

2 of your points, injury or another player higher on the depth chart, are purely personal choice (Gillis' team and us arm chair, beer swilling gm's).

The other factor with respect to injuries, is the style of play in the two conferences.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

sic puppy wrote: 2 of your points, injury or another player higher on the depth chart, are purely personal choice (Gillis' team and us arm chair, beer swilling gm's).
actually, what i meant is that i hope that this is a case of Gillis being after a different guy, and therefore turned down the trade with Rutherford, and not a case that he was out-maneuvered by another GM, or somehow unable to make the deal happen. i don't know how much Gillis wanted Cole or Williams, but I just hope that this is about the players and not about the GM.

(on another note, I'd rather have Bieksa than Pitkanen, esp in the West).
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

antro wrote: (on another note, I'd rather have Bieksa than Pitkanen, esp in the West).
I think that's Lowe's reasoning as well.

For as much hype Pitkanen had, he has now been traded twice in 2 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I doubt it's a case of Gillis not being able to get it done. There was only 2 teams out of 30 involved in this trade, and I think that the canes just fleeced the oilers. Cole might have a decent year, but odds are, in the west, with this being a rougher, tougher, more of a grind than living in the east, Cole will get tired about febuary, and someone will catch him with his head down (Bieksa or Phaneuf) and that will be the end of him. Too many injuries, and getting too old to recover. I hope i am wrong, but.........
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.