Kyle Wellwood CLAIMED BY CANUCKS off waivers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:48 am

Maybe this will convince Naslund to stay????

Or maybe not

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:17 am

Well another character player in the Canuck fold, just as you promised Mikey. Accoreding to Hockey analysis he's an RFA in which case they just need to offer him the 10% raise which would put him at $962/ season for one year. Unless some one else offers him a letter intent for more.... unlikely
cheers

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:45 am

I like this move. If AV can whip him into shape he can be a 50-60pt guy and a Right handed shot on the PP. If not, we waive him. Nothing risked nothing gained.

I just hope this isn't Gillis' answer to our lack of a 2nd line centre.

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:27 pm

So Fletcher axes Wellwood and we pick him up. So far I've been giving Gillis the benefit of the doubt but problems with conditioning (unless injury related) certainly aren't indicative of someone with character. I guess the price is right however right now this looks a lot like another Harold Druken.

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Arbour wrote:So Fletcher axes Wellwood and we pick him up. So far I've been giving Gillis the benefit of the doubt but problems with conditioning (unless injury related) certainly aren't indicative of someone with character. I guess the price is right however right now this looks a lot like another Harold Druken.
So what? If he sucks it up we just waive him. I really can't see a downside to this. He is a young right handed playmaking centre/winger that could potentially be the answer to our prayers. He can put up points and with a bit of discipline could become a permanent 2nd line fixture. Plus he isn't signed so we don't have a ridiculous contract to worry about. If he doesn't accept his qualifying offer we can always trade his rights at some point in the future.

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Mikodat wrote:<i>In 48 games, he scored 42 points</i> .... errr thats 2006 2007 stats... Last years were not so great.. 59 games.... 21 points... 12 of those on pp..

sounds like a reclamation project though he's still a young player.. Beer & Broads conditioning program in To. not working so great ... Yeah he might replace Ritchie..
Even if, it proves the kid's got potential and reclamation project aside, he's not exactly costing us much. If he's a bust, no biggie (providing Gillis doesn't rely on him coming through) and if he pans out, we're all that much better. Obviously he wasn't that great last year but he posted 45 points in his rookie campaign and then another 42 in 48 games the year after. He must have some skill to do that and on a team starved of offense, we could use that shot in the arm. Still, I hope he's not expected to be the answer. Otherwise, I think it's a great pickup off waivers.

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:35 pm

Thought I might share some thoughts on his conditioning:

I have a sports hernia (which is different from normal hernias). It kills and makes doing any exercise painful. And afterwards? Agony (combination of feeling like you've torm a muscle in your stomach / been kicked in the happy sacks). Mine was so bad it hurt to roll over in bed for days afterwards. Playing competitive hockey, his pain was probably 10x worse.

Oh, my rehab time? 6 months and counting. I only started running last week.

It can be treated by surgery, but even then you need to spend a while doing nothing with a slow and careful rehab. It's also very hard to diagnose. My diagnosis took 5 months where I had to live with pain almost every day, and it absolutely killed my exercise regimen.

So, not saying it's the reason his conditioning was poor but it might well have contributed.

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Sounds like a decent pickup but I just hope that this isn't MG's idea of replacing Brendan Morrison as our second line centre.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Gillis' first move is to pick up someone on the waiver-wire? Page 2 of the Dave Nonis Playbook. A guy who looks like he's never been to a gym is hardly what I'd call a character guy. And on that note: What is Wellwood doing with my body? Maybe Gillis can acquire me too.
BingoTough wrote:Maybe this will convince Naslund to stay????

Or maybe not
A guy claimed off waivers is going to cause the franchise leading scorer to re-up? Have things really come to this?
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Good pickup imo, considering he came free. He had injury problems last year and was playing in the most dysfunctional siuation in pro sports. Change of scenery, time to heal and something to prove. Sounds like a good candidate for Gillis' player development project. The guy has shown he has ability and is still wet behind the ears, so if his attitude is good I don't see conditioning being a major obstacle. Good upside without much risk if he busts. Good asset mgmt. by Gillis and gives the fans something to talk about other than his lack of action. Don't understand why TO waived him instead of just letting his contract expire. Were they trying to embarrass him?
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:38 pm

LOVE IT!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:08 pm

It's also hard to work out when you have a cast on your foot. ;)

I see nothing wrong with the pickup: if he pans out, fine. If he doesn't, well at least the Canucks didn't give up anything to get him.

Wellwood is pretty creative with the puck too, which is a point in his favor.

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:45 pm

I like Wellwoods play making. He comes at no cost, which is good. He's right handed.....has proven to be effective on the PP......all good.
Unfortuatley when he was not hurt he was still one of the weakest players in the NHL. His body shape has been compared to a soft ice cream cone. He is NOT a leader & he frustrates his coaches.

I'm still glad we grabbed him. Depth is good at centre for training camp. He's only 25...maybe he will break his bad habits....if not, we dump him....big deal....
Ohhhh ya, looks like MG has a pulse!! although it was probably Tamby making this decision IMO
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:56 am

well, the Leaves fans at battle of ontario think it's a good pick up for vancity as well. wellwood has a lot of potential to get better.

if the canucks end up signing morrison again (i'm still of two minds about that), then center is:
Sedin-Kesler-Morrison-Wellwood. that's actually pretty strong, but, apart from Kes, no one who is going to bang a lot.

or do you guys think that this is a sign that MOrrison is gone?
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 am

Look out Shannon this guy is 7lbs heavier and 1" taller
cheers