Kyle Wellwood CLAIMED BY CANUCKS off waivers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Kyle Wellwood CLAIMED BY CANUCKS off waivers

Post by mattola » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:59 am

worth a shot? was targeted at a secondline center. still young. may get lucky...

Andrew Raycroft is also on waivers and will most likely clear and be bought out.

UPDATED The Vancouver Canucks added some depth down the middle for next season, claiming soon-to-be restricted free agent Kyle Wellwood on waivers from the Toronto Maple Leaves. Details to follow
Last edited by mattola on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:32 am

I'd be more than open to claiming him. He was misused in Toronto, and became a scapegoat. A change of scenery could do him good. I still think he can be a 40pt a season guy consistently.

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:15 pm

I say yes. He can put up the numbers and I'm pretty sure he's versatile by playing wing and Centre. Not bad secondary scoring provided he's healthy.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:19 pm

Wellwood with some direction (apparently he doesn't keep up his conditioning) would be a great pick up. He is very quick when he's on (hands and feet), which would help get around some of the stifling defence play of the western conference.

I don't know if he's a "Gillis" player, in terms of grittiness, but he's probably worth the risk.

Wow, Fletcher is really cleaning house over there. Tucker's gone too. He might be worth a shot after he's been bought out. Strange that Fletcher couldn't trade him away, he's had some pretty good seasons.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:23 pm

If Tucker would sign, I would stop cheering for the Canucks for the duration of his contract.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:41 pm

Wellwood has too many injury issues, and his conditioning and attitude leave something to be desired. He's talented, but lacks grit.

Still, if he came cheap I wouldn't object.

And no to Tucker: my avatar won't be as funny anymore. :mrgreen:

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:29 pm

Courtesy of one of our Leaves fans (those that aren't too ashamed to admit it) from OTP:

Just say no to Kyle "Big Tub of Goo" Wellwood. He couldn't stick with a bad Leaves team and you want to claim him? Now if you said you'd want to put a claim on the player on the right, I'd have no issue with that...

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 am

you said you'd want to put a claim on the player on the right, I'd have no issue with that...

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:16 am

The Vancouver Canucks added some depth down the middle for next season, claiming soon-to-be restricted free agent Kyle Wellwood on waivers from the Toronto Maple Leaves. Details to follow

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:22 am

Given the Canucks lack of of offensive depth, I don't mind this move one bit. I was surprised how good Wellwood's numbers are. In 48 games, he scored 42 points. Definitely not too shabby at all. Of course the conditioning leaves a lot to be desired (yikes! at the picture... although at least he's in good company) but I think the rieward outweighs the risk. Good pickup.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:22 am

well, I hope his old lady helps out on the phones during the telethon....

(damn.. I am a pig)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:23 am

so is he the Byron Richie upgrade?

or the Morrison downgrade?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:36 am

its worth the risk. and we dont get into a bidding war for a downgrade. he doesnt workout then waive him to the moose. I dont mind it at all

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:46 am

<i>In 48 games, he scored 42 points</i> .... errr thats 2006 2007 stats... Last years were not so great.. 59 games.... 21 points... 12 of those on pp..

sounds like a reclamation project though he's still a young player.. Beer & Broads conditioning program in To. not working so great ... Yeah he might replace Ritchie..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(

JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:25 am

Tukaram wrote:Wellwood has too many injury issues, and his conditioning and attitude leave something to be desired. He's talented, but lacks grit.

Still, if he came cheap I wouldn't object.

And no to Tucker: my avatar won't be as funny anymore. :mrgreen:
Indeed, Tucker is a lunatic headcase and the very last guy I would want as a Canuck. Whatever it was Gillis said he wanted in new players it's certainly not a guy two meds away from an insane asylum.