#10 First Rd:Canucks Pick - Cody Hodgson, Brampton Battalion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

#10 First Rd:Canucks Pick - Cody Hodgson, Brampton Battalion

Post by stevethiessen »

discuss.

I'm ok with the pick, I guess. I think I'm more frustrated that Cammalleri only went for essentially the 17 pick, and that Jokinen went for so little (compared to the Sedn demand at the deadline). Could we not have pulled off one of those deals?

As far as Hodgson goes, I know nothing about him, so who knows. I don't like McKenzie questioning his skating, as this is a struggling point for us already, but who knows. Anyone out east get a chance to watch him play much at all?

ST
Last edited by stevethiessen on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I'm pumped for this pick, as this is the guy I wanted.

THN has this to say about him:

"Ranked at #8

5-11 185lbs C Shoots R

There was a time not long ago when Hodgson's father Chris was being touted as a future premier of Ontario. the younger Hodgson will likely never enter politics, but his future in hockey looks very bright.
Hodgson is near the top of a dominant OHL crop of draftees. More of a playmaker than a scorer, Hodgson has drawn comparisons to everyone from Adam Oates to Cory Stillman to Chris Drury.
" 'He has a very good hockey sense and I think that's the strongest part of his game,' one NHL scout said. "It seems every time he's on the ice, he has the puck on his stick.'
Although he is not a liability defensively, Hodgson's reputation going into the draft has been his ability to create offensive opportunities for both himself and his linemates.
'He just seems to have a great nose for the net and a nose for the puck,' another scout said. 'His offensive ability is his calling card.' "
Taken from my thread. I'll get rid of it as you beat me to the punch ST. :P
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

good thing I checked - I was just about the delete mine, thinking you had gotten here first :)

Did you ever get a chance to see him play? I've heard his name floated a few times, and in more than one mock draft he went higher than 10, so for the first time in a while, we've not gone "off the board" as far as rankings is concerned. Is there any chance Hodgson makes the team out of camp, or is this a pick for a few years from now?
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Hodgson was the second guy I was pining for - the Preds took Colin Wilson, a great pick.
Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

I don't remember noticing him for Canada at the world Jrs, but I remember reading something about 10 assists in 12 games? Plus Quinn said he stepped up as a leader and character guy which is a big plus, I would think a player who played at the world jrs and is described as a smart player would have a chance right away?...
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Kikbutt_10 wrote:I don't remember noticing him for Canada at the world Jrs, but I remember reading something about 10 assists in 12 games? Plus Quinn said he stepped up as a leader and character guy which is a big plus, I would think a player who played at the world jrs and is described as a smart player would have a chance right away?...
He didn't play in the WJC, but led the WJ U-18s in scoring and (according to Pierre McGuire) was named best offensive player, best defensive player, best leader, best forward etc. I think we got ourselves a quality guy here. Hell, TSN compared him to Linden. I can live with that.

Edit: and no I didn't see him play, but he got 40 goals and 45a in the OHL last year. Living in Ontario I heard a bit about him in hockey discussions and I knew one guy who really wanted the leaves to take him and saw him as a future HOFer. Probably won't reach that ceiling, but I don't think it's a stretch to see him as a 30g 70pt guy in the future.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

except that he played at the under 18s, not the world jrs. It was 12 pts in 7 games (2-10-12).
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

Wonder how he would fit with Raymond a few years from now...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I like this pick alot. Beach will probably turn out well in Chicago but would have flopped if he came here. With the Canucks luck you just know something would have gone wrong & his issues would have magnified. Hodgson will undoubtably be better than the last Hodgson we had, Dan. ;)

Steve, I don't think McKenzie questioned his skating at all. He just said he is very comparable to Stamkos overall, only difference is Stamkos has that blazing foot-speed and Hodgson does not. Probably the thing that prevented him from being drafted earlier than he was. I didn't hear anything that was alarming.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

Yeah clam, from the hunting ive been doing for the last hour, it appears as though he has good skating, just not the fastest guy in the world. No problem. Maybe we can hire Bure in the front office to teach "power skating"? I've read nothing negative, or worrysome. I don't really care if he doesn't score between the leg goals as long as he puts it in the net. Looking forward to seeing him play. C'mon training camp!
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: #10 First Rd:Canucks Pick - Cody Hodgson, Brampton Batta

Post by mattola »

stevethiessen wrote: Could we not have pulled off one of those deals?
no

because obviously Florida said no when we apparently tried to get him at the deadline.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: #10 First Rd:Canucks Pick - Cody Hodgson, Brampton Batta

Post by ClamRussel »

mattola wrote:
stevethiessen wrote: Could we not have pulled off one of those deals?
no

because obviously Florida said no when we apparently tried to get him at the deadline.

Ya but he wasn't on the block then....he recently requested a trade thereby changing the situation.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

levelheaded wrote:http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/index.asp? ... on_im.html

Sounds pretty good I'd say.

Edit: He had 12 points in 7 WJC U-18 games, that's 3 more than Filatov. :)

The more I hear about this kid the more I love the selection. I don't think you could ask for more at the 10th pick.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

well, at the very least, nearly every mock draft I can find has Hodgson going ninth, with one mock up pegging him at 10 to us, and a few having him at 7 to the leaves. Been awhile since we picked the consesus pick!