Brunnstom update

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Haida Knucklehead
CC Rookie

Brunnstom update

Post by Haida Knucklehead »

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/04 ... ntast.html

understandably, he has to reevaluate where he may end up playing. I can't blame him for having second thoughts, given the uncertainty of the direction of the new GM.

That being said, if he is as good as the hype, he should have no problem sticking with the Canucks and playing a significant role. Maybe 2nd/3rd line with pp2 time also.

Maybe if Aquaman waited a week or two before he fired Nonis, Brunnstrom would have been signed. Another reason to add to the list of reasons of bad timing of the firing.

Looks like he hasn't decided one way or another.
Haida Gwaii is Canuck Country
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

I think its better that brunstomm knows hes not here. it would be bad if he didnt know signed then nonis was fired. it would look worse.

I still have hope. Nonis said today he was a Canuck with him as GM and he hopes he still becomes a Canuck.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Just curious - what type of player is Brunnstrom? Is he a gritty type guy?

If he's another skilled, but soft, Euro-player, then perhaps there's a reason why I'm not as excited as some other people are.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

He's a European player, but he's not undersized, whether he can play the North American style will determine whether he's a boom or bust. He's been compared to Alfredsson, who is by no means a soft Euro, but that's just media speak at this point.
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Here's an interesting take on the whole Nonis plan/firing:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... e2d846d346
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Well kiss Brunnstrom goodbye, we shall see if this is yet another dubious moment in our history or a non-factor
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Ugh, utter disgust with the situation right now. Why not just wait until they had this guy locked up? I sincerely hope Aquilini has a plan because picking up Brunnstrom was a no brainer. He may still yet sign with us (they never said anything about ruling out Vancouver) but I can understand the pessimistic view. I'm still holding out hope but I just don't know anymore.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

rockalt wrote:Ugh, utter disgust with the situation right now. Why not just wait until they had this guy locked up? I sincerely hope Aquilini has a plan because picking up Brunnstrom was a no brainer. He may still yet sign with us (they never said anything about ruling out Vancouver) but I can understand the pessimistic view. I'm still holding out hope but I just don't know anymore.
It is better to do it this way. Waiting for the contract to go through and then dropping the hammer would look very very bad. You do it this way and the guy certiany re-evaluates but it gives him a chance to wait for the new GM to be in place and see if the fit is still there.

Doing it the other way also compromises the guy you want to bring in. It is a decision that guy needs to make. Not ownership which is what it would amount to.
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

This guy is overhyped if you ask me, he does have good size at 6"1 205 lbs but he is quite soft and his offensive numbers aren't that impressive with 37 pts including 9 goals in the regular season and then when it meant the most 1 goal in 12 games in the playoffs !! i understand this is one of the better leagues in the world but so what, if the guy really is that good he would put up better numbers then that, plus we don't need this type of guy in our top six anyways we need a good canadian boy built for the playoffs, not anymore soft european players that go into hiding in the playoffs.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

nuckknowitall1944 wrote:This guy is overhyped if you ask me, he does have good size at 6"1 205 lbs but he is quite soft and his offensive numbers aren't that impressive with 37 pts including 9 goals in the regular season and then when it meant the most 1 goal in 12 games in the playoffs !! i understand this is one of the better leagues in the world but so what, if the guy really is that good he would put up better numbers then that, plus we don't need this type of guy in our top six anyways we need a good canadian boy built for the playoffs, not anymore soft european players that go into hiding in the playoffs.
People bitching about his stats should compare him to other first year players in the SEL. In Nicklas Backstrom's first year (19 year old rookie with Washington) he had 10g and 26pts. The next year he had 12g and 40pts. Admittedly he was 4 years younger at the time, but he has come into the NHL and put up 69pts (14g 55a) in his NHL rookie season. Those are not bad numbers. Sure he spent time on the first line with Ovechkin, but if 40pts in the SEL equates to 69 in the NHL for him, surely 39 could equate to 40-50 for Brunnstrom. Plus, as people have mentioned in the past, if he really doesn't work we can just send him to the minors. If we miss out on him we lose the opportunity to get a guy with a big upside for absolutely nothing. If he can even turn into a 35pt guy in the NHL he'd be useful. Brunnstrom isn't the answer to our scoring woes, but I'm sure he'd help.

Edit: Even Daniel Alfredsson (who is perhaps a better comparison) only had 18pts in 22 games in his last full SEL season. Before that he managed 20g, but only 30pts in 39 games.
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

alfredsson an backstrom were both kids when they put up these numbers, the difference between 19 and 23 is huge in that level of hockey !! and i know sometimes the stats can be a little misleading especially in some of the european leagues but don't you think this guy is a little overhyped when their saying he could be the next alfredsson or gaborik and he's putting up 1 goal in 12 playoff games in the SEL as a 23 year old !!! And everyone on these message boards keeps saying "the firing of nonis better not of cost us brunnstrom" and how pissed they are about it who gives a shit !!! The guy is gonna come here for 2 years probably get hurt because he won't be able to handle the north american game maybe have one season where he gets 10-15 goals and maybe 35 points plays soft and dissappears in the playoffs!! do we want this type of player anymore? fuck no !!! bring in some tough hard nosed players like ryan malone try and sign an avery or laraque or bring back ruutu and try and draft kyle beach this year don't worry about any softies named fabian !!![/quote]
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

nuckknowitall1944 wrote:alfredsson an backstrom were both kids when they put up these numbers,
Backstrom yes, but Alfredsson was 22 in his last season in Sweden (Born 72, 94/95 season). I'm not saying that Brunnstrom will be anywhere near as good as Alfie, but I don't think we should disregard him so quickly. Sure he isn't a gritty crash and bang type, but with the impending loss of Naslund we'll have one less winger, so why not get as many as possible? Gritty 'Canadian' types are all well and good, but when you don't have any players who can pick the corners it doesn't really matter how tough you are. I'm not saying DON'T get any power forwards, but a power-forward works best creating space for a more talented scorer (aka Nazzy and Bertuzzi, etc.). Plus, I think we should take all the help we can get right now. Realistically if we go through another overhaul and change in mentality we'll be challenging for Tavares next year, not the cup, no matter who we sign.
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Yes we do need some guys who can pick the corners as well as some of the gritty hardnosed types lets look at better alternatives then fabian brunnstrom like possibly trading one of our d-men over to a defensively starved buffalo for perhaps a drew stafford or a macarthur or theres a crop of decent scorers in the UFA'S(rolston,brunette,langkow, etc)
I just don't think this is a guy to get hung up over and excited about because odds are he will dissapoint but it will be imexpensive and low risk and if he does turn out to be a decent secondary scorer i will be the first to say i was wrong, just IMO he should be very low on the priority list.

And P.S. 10 goals in a total of 66 games this year isn't exactly "picking the corners"!! I know I know stats are deceiving.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I realize that Brunnstrom didn't exactly excel as a scorer this year, but apparently he's more of a playmaker.

As for the Sabres, I can tell you from personal experience (being a long time fan of theirs) that while they need a couple defencemen, they're more in the market for a legit #1 centre. I know a few fans there still covet Bieksa, but we'd be unlikely to get more than Drew Stafford for him, and in my opinion Stafford is unlikely to ever be a big time scorer. MacArthur will NEVER be a scorer, that's for sure. He's much more a gritty checker type. Relying on him to be a scorer is suicide.
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Well I think both of these guys(macarthur and stafford) will be decent scorers, obviously more stafford as i had the chance to see him play quite a few times this season and i can say the guy has some tools good size good speed, he works hard, he does a bit of everything out there, to say this guy will score 25-30 goals and get 65-70 points in this league isn't unlikely an macarthur on the other hand will not be as big of a scorer he does have some hands on him and could be a 20 goal an 50 point man one day!!
but for the most part i was just using these players as examples as buffalo seems like a team that needs defense being they are losing three of them to UFA (numminen,kalinin,pratt) and have already lost campbelll at the deadline, and us needing forwards it just seems like a possible trading scenario. Maybe a kotalik or a connolly could be two other examples!!.

and as far as fabian brunnstrom being more of a playmaker, don't we have enough "playmakers" already if we put him with the sedins they would just play pass all game!! we need guys who have that shoot first mentality.

In your opinion other then brunnstrom what would you do as far as the trade route if your not so keen on the buffalo sabres as possible trade partners..