Bob McKenzie reports rumour: Brian Lawton possible for GM

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Bob McKenzie reports rumour: Brian Lawton possible for GM

Post by antro »

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?i ... b_McKenzie

If it wasn't Bob McKenzie, who actually has sources for any rumours he talks about, I wouldn't mention it. I really really really hope this isn't even a possibility.

This is starting to look more and more like the John Ferguson Jr scenario.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Could be but even Bob isn't sure that the guys is at the top of the list or anything.

And while I'd love a more experienced guy and Lawton may seem like a tool it doesn't mean it is going to be a disaster if it takes place.

Just as with Nonis, you have to give the guy a chance. Let's remember Nonis negotiated player contracts (lawton did it from the other side) but he was also a rookie GM and while I think the move was teh right one to make he wasn't a terrible GM.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

But Nonis had experience before taking the GM job. He worked in the management team for years, as an assistant to a GM that many considered one of the best in the business, who mentors him for years to prepare for the job. Lawton may be a competent or even a great manager one day, but he'll need some time in the management business before taking on a prominent role. He may make a great assistant GM, however.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Lawton was the former agent of one Markus Naslund. Probably coincidental, but it's intriguing.
WpgJets
CC Veteran

Post by WpgJets »

Ugh. I hope not.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

At his presser, Aquilini said the new guy would, among other things, 'have experience'. If he hires a new guy like Lawton, then it shows that Aquilini is flying by the seat of his pants. Not a good sign.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Sid Dithers wrote:At his presser, Aquilini said the new guy would, among other things, 'have experience'. If he hires a new guy like Lawton, then it shows that Aquilini is flying by the seat of his pants. Not a good sign.
Nothing came out of that press conference that could be considered a "good sign". :)

I can imagine a faint possibility that an ex agent with no management experience might be signed on as some sort of assistant but anything else... not so much.
Mantle
CC Veteran

Post by Mantle »

How come I haven't heard anything about Muckler?
Haida Knucklehead
CC Rookie

Post by Haida Knucklehead »

Mantle wrote:How come I haven't heard anything about Muckler?
maybe becuase he never accomplished much as a GM and is older then dirt jk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muckler
Haida Gwaii is Canuck Country
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

He's a good suggestion, ask him what it was like to see dinosaurs live!
Mantle
CC Veteran

Post by Mantle »

Haida Knucklehead wrote:

So he's old. Great argument.

4 consecutive 100 point seasons is nothing to sneeze at including building a Stanley Cup finals team.
Haida Knucklehead
CC Rookie

Post by Haida Knucklehead »

Mantle wrote:
Haida Knucklehead wrote:

So he's old. Great argument.

4 consecutive 100 point seasons is nothing to sneeze at including building a Stanley Cup finals team.
FYI - I was kidding about the older than dirt comment, hence the jk after the sentance.

I concede that his record is somewhat impressive, but his inability to win the cup with the best goalie of the 90's doesn't reassure me he is the man for the Job. MInd you they
were robbed, but it was the only final they reached with Hasek winning 6 of 8 Vezina's from '94 - 01

He also had a very talented team in Ottawa, but did not win there either. That is two very good opportunites but did not get the job done. The Canuck have been there twice also, so I don't want to go down that road again.

I think Nill would be a good option as he has been exposed to winning and has a good draft record.
Haida Gwaii is Canuck Country
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Former Canuck Jim Benning has also been linked now.

A little background on him:

12 years in the Sabres organization. 8 years as Director of Amateur Scouting (he was the one who filled the Sabres coffers with all that talent). Moved to the Bruins in 2006 as Director of Player Personnel and became the Assistant GM to the Bruins last summer.

A young gun so to speak but a young gun with good resume.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

tantalum wrote:Former Canuck Jim Benning has also been linked now.

A little background on him:

12 years in the Sabres organization. 8 years as Director of Amateur Scouting (he was the one who filled the Sabres coffers with all that talent). Moved to the Bruins in 2006 as Director of Player Personnel and became the Assistant GM to the Bruins last summer.

A young gun so to speak but a young gun with good resume.
This sounds more promising than gillis or lawton. I want a guy with some pedigree. Vancouver turned things around when Pat Quinn came. Brian Burke learned under him, and Nonis under Burke. That's pedigree. You don't go against it unless you want John Ferguson, Jr.

I don't care if an agent has experience negotiating contracts--has he been taught by the best (or at least someone important in Burke's case, since I dont' consider Burke the best). Someone from the Sabre's org would be good, ditto Wings. They have shown a knack for putting out good teams year after year. That's crucial.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

One thing that scares me about Gillis or Lawton being former players agents is I think of Michael Barnett and even his best friend Wayne Gretzky (who handed him that job on a silver platter out of obligation) had to fire him.

Is there any examples of player agents going on to become successful GMs?

Reminds me of politicians change political parties w/ opposing platforms.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy