Holland says Detroit out of running for Brunnstrom

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Haida Knucklehead
CC Rookie

Holland says Detroit out of running for Brunnstrom

Post by Haida Knucklehead »

It also says Brunnstrom has signed with Vancouver, but i haven't been able to find any news on that.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/04 ... gs_wo.html

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/04 ... rom_s.html
Last edited by Haida Knucklehead on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haida Gwaii is Canuck Country
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

Nice find.

Everything is speculation right now, and this adds to my speculation, mentioned in the other thread on DN's firing. From the timing of the firing, I think this potential signing and DN's plan for the future brought him and Aquilini to a head. Maybe Aquilini asked DN what happens if Brunnstrom doesn't work out, and DN kept talking about building through youth. Aquilini didn't like the answer, or maybe DN didn't like what he was hearing about his future from Aquilini. Then DN, to try to shore up public support, leaked the imminent deal with Brunnstrom to Darren Dreger and CBC (on a TSN segment on the firing, Dreger was called "close" to DN, or something like that). Why else would a leak on Brunnstrom occur, before it happened? And why else would Dreger have said that Brunnstrom liked "the direction of the team"...from your link it sounds like Brunnstrom likes the idea of being a top 6 forward instead of competing with all the guys in Detroit.

I'd say that DN leaked it to Dreger, including the thing about Brunnstrom liking "the direction of the team." I wouldn't be surprised if someone close to him also leaked to TSN the idea that the Brunnstrom deal was in jeopardy due to uncertainty over the future. And once this got public, Aquilini was forced to move faster than he probably wanted, i.e., before he managed to find his replacement.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Or, Brunstrumm and DN didn't see eye to eye and wouldn't sign here if DN was here.

meh.

Seeing as there is wild, frenzied specualtion out there, just thought I would fuel the fire :)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Seeing as there is wild, frenzied specualtion out there)
I like to think of my speculation as tame and controlled, rather than wild and frenzied :lol:
no more Bieksa-bashing!
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Then DN, to try to shore up public support, leaked the imminent deal with Brunnstrom to Darren Dreger and CBC (on a TSN segment on the firing, Dreger was called "close" to DN, or something like that). Why else would a leak on Brunnstrom occur, before it happened? And why else would Dreger have said that Brunnstrom liked "the direction of the team"...from your link it sounds like Brunnstrom likes the idea of being a top 6 forward instead of competing with all the guys in Detroit.

I'd say that DN leaked it to Dreger, including the thing about Brunnstrom liking "the direction of the team." I wouldn't be surprised if someone close to him also leaked to TSN the idea that the Brunnstrom deal was in jeopardy due to uncertainty over the future. And once this got public, Aquilini was forced to move faster than he probably wanted, i.e., before he managed to find his replacement.

You know what? I think this may very well be true, now that I think about it. News of this nature usually doesn't come out of the Canuck camp. Then just a few days before he is supposed to sign, Brunnstrom (apparently) signs? 'Liking the direction of the team' and then he gets fired only a couple days later? Only speculation, of course, but this makes a lot of sense.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo »

Is Brunnstromm that good as to make Aquaman fire a GM if he though DN would give him a fair shake ?
I would have though Lu would be the only person in the organization to have that much power ?
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

Hockey_roo wrote:Is Brunnstromm that good as to make Aquaman fire a GM if he though DN would give him a fair shake ?
I would have though Lu would be the only person in the organization to have that much power ?
That's not my speculation. It has nothing to do with what Brunnstromm actually said or did. From Haida's link, it looks that Brunnstromm favored the opportunity to play top 6 minutes, and it had nothing to do with the "direction of the team". (Why would any player not like the direction of the Wings?) In short, "direction of the team" is something that DN or someone close to him said when they made the leak. And since most of the main-stream media just repeat what is said to them, they repeated it as if Brunnstromm had actually said something like that.

My speculation is that Aquilini doesn't have a plan, but that he was just pissed off at DN, and started to question him. That's when the first leak happened, and then the second leak (about DN being on the bubble, and there being a lack of stability that might cost Brunnstromm) happened, and Aquilini was forced to make a decision. Why? B/c now there it was out in public that he wasn't supporting his GM. He probably wanted to find a successor first, but his hand was forced when the leaks happened.

Which is probably why he gave such a stupid excuse at the press conference.

If this is true, then the man with a plan was canned by the man without one.
no more Bieksa-bashing!